SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:47 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
My first tail motor quit on me after 31 flights. There are people with motors that only last 2 - 3 flights, and some can last up to 70 -80 flights. I dont know why it is but thats why im working on my own brushless tail mod.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I have never had to change the wires, just solder the new tail motor to the old wires. It gets easier after you've done it a few times. So, far I've only had to replace one tail motor, but did have to remove the wires to install the rtf metal boom support to the three of my V400's.
Thanks Kdean, the tail motor holds well on this heli? I don't perform 3D but still wondering if this 400 size heli flies nice for sports/circuits.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:04 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Thanks Kdean, the tail motor holds well on this heli? I don't perform 3D but still wondering if this 400 size heli flies nice for sports/circuits.
Yes, the tail has a very good hold, and the heli does sport flying well. I have not tried any fast reverse flight, but it can hold for mild reverse circles. Make sure mechincal set-up, (level swash, propper servo arm alignment, sevro extent, ect..) And dont use and aggressive throttle curve, and the v400 performs very well. I dont know what tx you have but if it is not the 2801 pro, i think you should invest in one. There are a host of mods you can find in this thread, i hope you read as much as you can.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:10 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Quote:
My first tail motor quit on me after 31 flights. There are people with motors that only last 2 - 3 flights, and some can last up to 70 -80 flights. I dont know why it is but thats why im working on my own brushless tail mod.
In the mean time, burnish your brushed motors per vid in post #932. As I posted, I have brushed motors that were broken in that way on both cars and on Zagis fixed wing aircraft with which I don't know how many flights they have (many more than my V400's) and right now I could take them out and fly them with plenty of power and reliability. It is real easy and only cost the price of 2 D cells.

In fact, I am thinking of using a burnished brushed main motor for V400#1 just to find out how long it will last.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:18 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
In the mean time, burnish your brushed motors per vid in post #932. As I posted, I have brushed motors that were broken in that way on both cars and on Zagis fixed wing aircraft with which I don't know how many flights they have (many more than my V400's) and right now I could take them out and fly them with plenty of power and reliability. It is real easy and only cost the price of 2 D cells.

In fact, I am thinking of using a burnished brushed main motor for V400#1 just to find out how long it will last.

SpadCat
would u use 2Ds on the tail motors as well?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:12 AM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Quote:
would u use 2Ds on the tail motors as well?
That would be ok and would not hurt the motor, but it is overkill, and C cells would work fine since this motor is rather small. You would hook them up in series. All you need is about a 10 minute run time in distilled water. The cloudiness is produce by the roughness being burnished away and also contributes to burnishing the brushes to even a finer (smoother) surface. It works as a jewelers rouge.

SpadCat
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:32 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
That would be ok and would not hurt the motor, but it is overkill, and C cells would work fine since this motor is rather small. You would hook them up in series. All you need is about a 10 minute run time in distilled water. The cloudiness is produce by the roughness being burnished away and also contributes to burnishing the brushes to even a finer (smoother) surface. It works as a jewelers rouge.

SpadCat
what about the additional electronic stuff on the top of these motors, capacitors, diodes ect. Do we have to remove them first, or can the whole thing get dunked?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:45 AM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Nope...caps, resistors and diodes are waterproof. Distilled water is an insulator. Just dunk the whole thing.

SpadCat

PS But let me experiment with one first and will let you know the results.
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Jun 29, 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:14 AM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
OK, just completed a test run. Used 2 AAs and ran the motor 20 minutes (it is recommended to run 10 - 20 min). The water stayed clear and I am assuming that is because the brushes are very small compared to a 400, so there would not be as many particles released.

This was a brand new motor, and I will install and fly and log the time. We will see what happens.

SpadCat
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:42 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Spad,

I hope it works out.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole 'serial' connection of batteries. I'm now planning on getting a 500 sized clone, and they run on 6s batteries, I know there is a way you can connect two 3s bats, in serial, so that you can use them as a 6s, but I'm still trying to figure it out. I guess I'll hit youtube sometime and try to find some vids on the topic.

My flight story of the day.....

I took my T-XI V450 to the field with the intent on getting inverted. I figure if I can do it on the sim, I should be able to do it in real life. Well..... first of all, it was kind of windy, about 10 - 15mph. The FMS sim does not simulate that, so I took it easy for the first battery. I made some changes to the pitch curve to get more positive pitch faster. Negitive is very responsive but I have to add alot of positive at times to keep it off the deck. The heli is alot heavier than the V400, and I'm only running the 3950kv motor at 60-70% in stunt mode 1.

Anyway, after getting a feel for the heli and how the winds would effect flight, I started my regular routine of figure 8's, circles, FF, SF, roaming piros, nose in, bank turns, flat turns, just getting my thumbs and brain warmed up. I started my second battery with some more aggressive FFF. All this time, Im thinking to myself, do it now, do it now, but could not get myself to just go for it. So, that battery died and still no inverted flight. Not even a sloppy loop.

Down to my last battery, and now that the joggers and bike riders were all watching to see what the heli is going to do next, It was now or never. Or, at least, now or not today. Half way through the battery I was ready to give it a try. Did a quick lap around the field, checking my line on the pass, I flew down to the far end while gaining some altitude, got into a swooping bank turn bringiing the nose down and building speed right down the center of the field, got in front of me and started to pull back and climb. Then just as I got past vertical, it was like half my brain went for the loop, and the other half went for a stall turn.......

I was inverted for a fraction of a second, but then came twisting down all side ways and backwards. I was able to save it, thanks to many sim hours, but I totally 'pussed out' on that one. I brought the heli in to hover while trying to keep my hart in my chest. Did some quick piros and landed. Maybe next time

Back to the sim for now......

Have a good one
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out the whole 'serial' connection of batteries.
When you stick two batteries in a flash light (head to tail, or + to -) they are in series. So in this case you would need to make an adapter that would take the red wire from battery 1 to the ESC, the black wire from battery 1 to the red wire of battery 2, and finally the black wire from battery 2 to the ESC. A series setup doubles the voltage but does not increase the flight time. A parallel setup keeps the same voltage, but doubles the flight time. Hope this helps...
LymanV is offline Find More Posts by LymanV
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:47 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
Love it kdean. Love it . Im sure thats how i will feel when i try lol . Love it. What a story. Better than many books i have read lol. Good luck today

Quote:
Spad,

I hope it works out.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole 'serial' connection of batteries. I'm now planning on getting a 500 sized clone, and they run on 6s batteries, I know there is a way you can connect two 3s bats, in serial, so that you can use them as a 6s, but I'm still trying to figure it out. I guess I'll hit youtube sometime and try to find some vids on the topic.

My flight story of the day.....

I took my T-XI V450 to the field with the intent on getting inverted. I figure if I can do it on the sim, I should be able to do it in real life. Well..... first of all, it was kind of windy, about 10 - 15mph. The FMS sim does not simulate that, so I took it easy for the first battery. I made some changes to the pitch curve to get more positive pitch faster. Negitive is very responsive but I have to add alot of positive at times to keep it off the deck. The heli is alot heavier than the V400, and I'm only running the 3950kv motor at 60-70% in stunt mode 1.

Anyway, after getting a feel for the heli and how the winds would effect flight, I started my regular routine of figure 8's, circles, FF, SF, roaming piros, nose in, bank turns, flat turns, just getting my thumbs and brain warmed up. I started my second battery with some more aggressive FFF. All this time, Im thinking to myself, do it now, do it now, but could not get myself to just go for it. So, that battery died and still no inverted flight. Not even a sloppy loop.

Down to my last battery, and now that the joggers and bike riders were all watching to see what the heli is going to do next, It was now or never. Or, at least, now or not today. Half way through the battery I was ready to give it a try. Did a quick lap around the field, checking my line on the pass, I flew down to the far end while gaining some altitude, got into a swooping bank turn bringiing the nose down and building speed right down the center of the field, got in front of me and started to pull back and climb. Then just as I got past vertical, it was like half my brain went for the loop, and the other half went for a stall turn.......

I was inverted for a fraction of a second, but then came twisting down all side ways and backwards. I was able to save it, thanks to many sim hours, but I totally 'pussed out' on that one. I brought the heli in to hover while trying to keep my hart in my chest. Did some quick piros and landed. Maybe next time

Back to the sim for now......

Have a good one
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:16 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
first off, great story on the inverted heli flying kdean, the suspense was killing me....

I'm new to this forum though I have been reading this thread off and on for the last 2 months and have found it very useful. I finally joined because I burnt out a motor and have a decision to make on whether or not to go brushless and I'm a little torn.

I'll give you a quick background of my skill level first (or lack of skill thereof...). I had been flying coaxial helis for a while and got very good at flying those tiny ones in my hotel room when i travel. I decided to move up and jumped straight to the V400 about 2 or 3 months ago. Even though I could fly the sim I still crashed and repaired that a good number of times, so I decided to get the little 4ch cb100 to practice with. That was a very good idea as it is more crash resistant and I can now fly all over my house with ease.

Soooo, I started flying my V400 again in the backyard and after about 15 or 20 flights I started losing power, and with help of reading the forum determined I needed a new motor. I bought a new main motor, installed it, and everything was great until on the 3rd flight the capacitor on the new main motor fried so the motor didn't work anymore (I noticed the cap was pressed up against the motor and probably overheated). Well, i took a cap off the older motor and put it on the newer one, but I must not have done a very good soldering job cause that fried instantly.

Anyway, now i'm stuck with a decision, either spend less than 15 bucks on a new brushed main motor and try again, or spend 80 bucks on a brushless system from rtf. As far as power goes, the brushed motor was plenty for me to continue to improve my skills on, but if they fry often i'm not sure it's worth replacing it again. On the other hand, if I get the brushless system and totally crash and destroy the whole heli after 10 or 20 flights then that also was pointless.

I've been reading this thread, and it seems after a while a lot of people decide to move to something like the trex450, so I'm tempted to just get the brushed motor again and have fun with it, and just put the extra cash toward a 450 somewhere down the line when i get better. I'm not necessarily cash strapped, but i am cash conscious, if ya know what i mean.

So, in your experience, is it worth it to go brushless on this guy??

Thanks,
dilberto
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
No matter how much one prepares and thinks he is ready, it is always a surprise how it turns out the first time. But, every time you try (the real thing) the easier it gets. I still remember my first high speed low inverted pass with a fixed wing sport/pattern ship....I bailed out by quickly rolling the plane upright less than 1/2 way though and ended with a normal high speed pass. The nerves finally settled after I landed safely on the ground.

SpadCat
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
first off, great story on the inverted heli flying kdean, the suspense was killing me....

I'm new to this forum though I have been reading this thread off and on for the last 2 months and have found it very useful. I finally joined because I burnt out a motor and have a decision to make on whether or not to go brushless and I'm a little torn.

I'll give you a quick background of my skill level first (or lack of skill thereof...). I had been flying coaxial helis for a while and got very good at flying those tiny ones in my hotel room when i travel. I decided to move up and jumped straight to the V400 about 2 or 3 months ago. Even though I could fly the sim I still crashed and repaired that a good number of times, so I decided to get the little 4ch cb100 to practice with. That was a very good idea as it is more crash resistant and I can now fly all over my house with ease.

Soooo, I started flying my V400 again in the backyard and after about 15 or 20 flights I started losing power, and with help of reading the forum determined I needed a new motor. I bought a new main motor, installed it, and everything was great until on the 3rd flight the capacitor on the new main motor fried so the motor didn't work anymore (I noticed the cap was pressed up against the motor and probably overheated). Well, i took a cap off the older motor and put it on the newer one, but I must not have done a very good soldering job cause that fried instantly.

Anyway, now i'm stuck with a decision, either spend less than 15 bucks on a new brushed main motor and try again, or spend 80 bucks on a brushless system from rtf. As far as power goes, the brushed motor was plenty for me to continue to improve my skills on, but if they fry often i'm not sure it's worth replacing it again. On the other hand, if I get the brushless system and totally crash and destroy the whole heli after 10 or 20 flights then that also was pointless.

I've been reading this thread, and it seems after a while a lot of people decide to move to something like the trex450, so I'm tempted to just get the brushed motor again and have fun with it, and just put the extra cash toward a 450 somewhere down the line when i get better. I'm not necessarily cash strapped, but i am cash conscious, if ya know what i mean.

So, in your experience, is it worth it to go brushless on this guy??

Thanks,
dilberto
Well, I think it is. I know I was ready to go to something else back in March (was seriously considering the V450), but stuck with it and now it is a blast to fly this thing. With the more expensive heli's, you will crash just as much and the parts are supposedly more expensive (from what others have written). I converted to brushless early on and it was a very good investment with not a problem in over 90 flights on 2 of my 3 V400's.

SpadCat