HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:57 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I got my batteries today and they fit, but the connectors were wrong and backwards. I can fix , if i knew what size connector???? Please help . I need the stock size . And does anyone have a good place to buy from?
Fly2build.com

They dont have them in the web display, but if you contact them they will get back to you. Ask for3.5mm HXT battery connections.

Justin MacFarland
justin@fly2build.com

Tell Justin than Kevin Dean from the Bahamas sent you.

It should be $6.75 for a pack of ten
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:35 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,087 Posts
3.5 .... Thanks . Found at hobbyking for 5 bucks , shipped.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
3.5 .... Thanks . Found at hobbyking for 5 bucks , shipped.
Make sure they come with the caseing.......

I took the 4.0 banana from the first battery I had to cut, and made an adaptor. Now I dont have to cut and solder new batteries anymore.
Last edited by kdean; Jun 22, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:36 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Wasp,

ummmmmmmmm...........????????????

That diagram does not help.....

So, How can I get the 5v through the (or out of the) signal convertor? I know the convertor has the three points, signal, ground, power. Do I just connect them the same way I did the signal wire, with the red(power) in the middle and go straight to the rx? Or do I bypass the red and black wires to the sig conv and take them straight to the power check port? or something like that.

It would help if you could draw something and take and post a picture...

Thank you so much for your help....
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:43 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
I keep blowing the stock motors. Do you think it is from my 45C battery. The stock battery is 20C and I am wondering if the 45C battery is burning up the motor.
mkalani is offline Find More Posts by mkalani
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:47 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
The 45C will allow the motor to run at higher R's which in the case of brushed motors will make them wear the brushes out faster due to friction and heat. You can control the power with the throttle, so unless you are pushing the limits of the motor all the time, I cannot see that happening. These motors should be broken in and there is a procedure, but cannot remember what it is. Saw a post about that topic not too long ago and if I run across it, I will post it. When done properly, it will make a brushed motor run cooler, with more power and last longer.

Can you just go back to using the 25C and see how long one lasts? I got 25 flights (10-15 min ea) before my stock motor failed, then I replaced it with BL.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:51 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
What is the mAh? How long are your flight times? Is your gear mesh to tight? I think the esc would regulate the amount of power that gets to the motor, so a 45c battery should not blow up the motor. Do you check the temp of your motor, esc, and battery after a flight?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:53 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Hey Spad....

Wassup?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Not much...did you play tonight?

Tonight, I have just finished setting up a V400 I just bought from Sarge for a brother in Calif. It had a spare set of new 325 (I think) Mystery blades, and boy, they are awesome. Even though I do not normally use longer blades, they are quite impressive.

SpadCat

Edit: Make that 315mm
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:27 AM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Got the new brushless and ESC today. Motor looks real nice. Not sure which V400 I will install it in, but I guess it does not matter. One V400 is set up for training (like nose in I have been working on this past week) and the other for 3D. It's rear rotor motor went out and even though I have a couple of stock motors, I ordered an E-sky and will install it to see if it lasts longer. Probably the same, but worth a try.

SpadCat
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:19 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Yeah, had a good gig. But was thinking about the brushless tail mod the whole time

Your gunna love the new motor on the v400, I'm about to order 2 more. One for my #3 and the other to go inside a Tarot 450 pro frame I got for real cheap.

Make sure when you install your motor, your mesh is not to tight. I've read that exceed motors in general have an issue with burning up and ceasing due to heat caused by overworking. I have about 16 flights with my alpha 400 and its still as sweet as the first time I flew it. I did do some bench testing with just the motor, esc, and rx, before putting it into the heli. Just to make sure everything was comunicating properly, and break in the motor a little bit.

After shaveing down some pitch off of a stock tail rotor, I did some more test on the brushless tail today. Its getting better, but still is to much blade. I'm going to take an inch off the length, from 5" to 4", and see what happens. I was even thinking about using on of the tail rotors from the 9053. Who knows, It might be good for something after all.

Anyway, I've got some "carts" that need sorting out. I'm trying to balance my heli budget between spare parts, up-grades, and with this new frame, essentials to get it in the air.

Have fun with the new set-up.

BTW I recommend soldering the old motor connection on to the signal convertor. I think the bigger gauge wire helps to things flow. My signal convertor on the rtf system (with the tiny wires) used to get really hot after a flight, now with the thicker wire it hardly gets warm. And I dont have that signal droping problem that caused uncontrolable throttle at start up, or sudden signal drops in flight.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:44 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Brushless tail mod (not ready yet)

Here are some pics of my progress with this mod. I still have more work to do on the rotor. Im using the main motor from the rtf system for now, it will be replaced by an alpha 400. A 25A detrum esc for the main, it will also work with the alpha motor but Im also planning on using a 40A exceed. It should have cooler running temps, and add more weight the to front end. There is a 12A exceed esc powering the exceed elite 370 (3200kv) brushless inrunner on the tail. Im using a home made 3 way battery split to get power to everything. The high speed stevechip signal convertor going direct the the rx, and the rtf sig conv for the main motor. Using the longer 1800mah or 2200mah batteries, help to get the cg better, but still need more weight at the front.

Adjusting, and playing with different settings on the rx and in the tx to get it rock solid. Right now I can get it to hover, but as soon as I try the turn the tail, it starts to wag, really big wag. I have to find the right rotor size so that the tail motor can operate in a comfortable rpm range.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:05 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Wasp,

ummmmmmmmm...........????????????

That diagram does not help.....

So, How can I get the 5v through the (or out of the) signal convertor? I know the convertor has the three points, signal, ground, power. Do I just connect them the same way I did the signal wire, with the red(power) in the middle and go straight to the rx? Or do I bypass the red and black wires to the sig conv and take them straight to the power check port? or something like that.

It would help if you could draw something and take and post a picture...

Thank you so much for your help....
The red and black wires from the JR/Futaba connector of your BL ESC just go to both the RX and the converter.

The red at the centre is the +5V. The black is GND, as simple as that.

You may feed +5V to any centre pin on the RX, and GND to any outside pin (closer to the edge of the RX) to get the RX going. They are just parallelled inside the RX.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Here are some pics of my progress with this mod. I still have more work to do on the rotor. Im using the main motor from the rtf system for now, it will be replaced by an alpha 400. A 25A detrum esc for the main, it will also work with the alpha motor but Im also planning on using a 40A exceed. It should have cooler running temps, and add more weight the to front end. There is a 12A exceed esc powering the exceed elite 370 (3200kv) brushless inrunner on the tail. Im using a home made 3 way battery split to get power to everything. The high speed stevechip signal convertor going direct the the rx, and the rtf sig conv for the main motor. Using the longer 1800mah or 2200mah batteries, help to get the cg better, but still need more weight at the front.

Adjusting, and playing with different settings on the rx and in the tx to get it rock solid. Right now I can get it to hover, but as soon as I try the turn the tail, it starts to wag, really big wag. I have to find the right rotor size so that the tail motor can operate in a comfortable rpm range.
3200KV is way too high for direct drive. I guess you need something around 1000KV. You may have to trim down the tail blade a lot to make it work.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:46 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Brushless tail mod cont...

Did more testing today. The tail control is getting better. But still wags after left rudder input. The tail blade is getting smaller and smaller. Its now down to 4" and about as slim as i want to make it. It still has +10 degrees pitch, and the only way to get less pitch would be to make it slimmer. So, i'll take another inch off of the length and see if it gets better.