SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:13 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
If you had a friend in the military stationed in China.

What Heli would you ask him to check prices for to compare against the $ ?
You can make my day. Need a good picture of their canned air. Not kidding, see FOX report below.

http://q13fox.com/2013/01/31/canned-...#axzz2Jad84yao
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:08 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
If you had a friend in the military stationed in China.

What Heli would you ask him to check prices for to compare against the $ ?
VWINRC 550 or the new VCTRC 550 dfc kit. Im going to be building one soon.
rangerxp28 is offline Find More Posts by rangerxp28
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:57 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Well Fan F$#%king- tastic!

My GF was holding one of my V400's today and commenting "So this is the competition huh?". A rotor blade swung around and startled her and she dropped it from boob high where the tail hit a chair on the way down.

Broken tail mount and the famous boom mount. RTF is out of stock on the boom mounts and not responding to inquiry's.

Does anyone else make them? It was to V400 I purchased used.
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:21 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:

My GF was holding one of my V400's today and commenting "So this is the competition huh?". A rotor blade swung around and startled her and she dropped it from boob high where the tail hit a chair on the way down.

Broken tail mount and the famous boom mount. RTF is out of stock on the boom mounts and not responding to inquiry's.

Don't tell me. You had a tail ESC powered with motor connected. When she picked it up the gyro sensed direction change and the motor powered up. Screw the heli, any cuts?

RTF seems to keep minimal stock on these. When I went to get mine their stock was out but they had it in a couple days. At that time I was told one other dealer makes them. Don't hold your breath but if I find one I'll let you know. I'm here tonight tweaking my new Blade 130X so I'll look around.

Oh,is there a new industry standard for the measurement of height that I was unaware of? Please send me the link if so.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:34 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Quote:

Dude, the RTF-Heli boom support is nice, but non-essential. Just order the parts from WowHobbies, and you'll be back in business in no time. I never did get a RTF-Heli boom support and I never had any problems with the stock boom mount. I realize that your heli was dropped; but in normal use, if you are breaking the boom mount and the tail, then you are still landing too hard.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:13 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Thanks, The heli did not have a battery in it. It hit the chair and and flipped, and banged and bounced. Ugh.

I did not know about the boom support until after I put a new tail section on and put it on the test tripod to test my soldering of the tail motor.

As soon as I moved the throttle a tad the thing shook in protest.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:08 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Like I said previously, just pull the main blades off and then gently spool the heli while holding it. You can very easily see the tail motor and the gyro in action without all the shaking.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:54 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
I need a little servo to Gyro relationship education.

OK, I hear that in some cases when one reverses servo directions one has to do the same to the and rotate the Gyro 180░

So as I look at the 5055 servos in the programmer software I see the travel positions scale in microseconds reading left to right from 900Ás to 2100Ás with 1500Ás being the center point.

Does the RX and Gyro see these values and act accordingly?

I see the rotation as shipped rotation of CW going from 900Ás to 2100Ás. And the CCW from 2100 Ás to 900 Ás.

I ask because of the odd blade pitch angle I seen on my test stand in relationship to stick movement. I had to reverse at least one of the 5055's out of the box.

Thanks, Just wondering if this is the way the Gyro doesn't play nice with reversed servos unless its reversed also.

Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:33 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:

OK, I hear that in some cases when one reverses servo directions one has to do the same to the and rotate the Gyro 180░

Remember that you are dealing with 3 gyros here. One for the tail and two for the FBL. Keep this in mind as I try to answer your questions which lead into the tail. As you seen in the dib video he had cyclic servos that were reversed so he rotated the 2614

So as I look at the 5055 servos in the programmer software I see the travel positions scale in microseconds reading left to right from 900Ás to 2100Ás with 1500Ás being the center point.

Info you will need to setup a FBL like a BeastX. There are much easier ways to get it.

Does the RX and Gyro see these values and act accordingly?

Short answer no. The only output from a servo is mechanical.

I see the rotation as shipped rotation of CW going from 900Ás to 2100Ás. And the CCW from 2100 Ás to 900 Ás.

Makes sense.

I ask because of the odd blade pitch angle I seen on my test stand in relationship to stick movement. I had to reverse at least one of the 5055's out of the box.

Define "Odd Blade Pitch". When you move the rudder (Nose) left and blades direct the air to push the tail to the right.

Thanks, Just wondering if this is the way the Gyro doesn't play nice with reversed servos unless its reversed also.

Every component of the system needs to be properly set up to function correctly. The 2614 FW has a direct relationship between in and out. In being gravity (gyro) and out being signal to servo. Without changing the program to a indirect relationship, if to change one you better change the other.

So far I don't see a need for programmable servos, or it's software, for noob's like us.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:41 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:

Info you will need to setup a FBL like a BeastX. There are much easier ways to get it. I have no idea what this means

Quote:
Define "Odd Blade Pitch". When you move the rudder (Nose) left and blades direct the air to push the tail to the right.
On the test stand, nose in, leveled and at least over 50% throttle, if I right stick upwards, I expect to see the rotating blades angle towards me. Or if I am seeing the mirrored effect, away from me. But at least even or level left to right.
What I see is the blades angling kind of a 45░ angle.

Anyways, when I get it back together from the GF Drop, I'll video it. So don't bang your head trying to teach me here because I am sure I am not doing something right. Please wait for the video. / Tail boom support to come off of backorder.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:02 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Info you will need to setup a FBL like a BeastX. There are much easier ways to get it. I have no idea what this means

When you build a mini you will use your RX1002 then you will need a FBL and tail gyro. Several are out their. One is made by BeastX.

On the test stand, nose in, leveled and at least over 50% throttle, if I right stick upwards, I expect to see the rotating blades angle towards me. Or if I am seeing the mirrored effect, away from me. But at least even or level left to right.
What I see is the blades angling kind of a 45░ angle.

Anyways, when I get it back together from the GF Drop, I'll video it. So don't bang your head trying to teach me here because I am sure I am not doing something right. Please wait for the video. / Tail boom support to come off of backorder.
As soon as you leave 0 throttle the gyro is activated. I can't tell you what it's going to do. How level is it really when you compared to the sensing ability of the gyro, I don't know.

As long as the swash is level by eye moves correctly by stick and moving the heli (See video) put it on the ground and slowly spool it up. Check blade tracking and adjust as needed. Increase head speed very slowly. If it wants to tip stop, adjust swash and test again. It's that easy. Your done. No stand involved. You are making this much more complicated than it needs to be
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:10 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Thanks, But the stand is so I don't complicate things and wad it up if you know what I mean, Heh! A safety measure.

I'll be back when I get things back together.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:44 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Dude, I'll bet the stand is screwing with the gyro. Pull off the main blades, hold the heli and watch the swash behavior. Simple as that, really.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:49 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
gapi, i think a video of what you're seeing would help. But, like lasakro said, if the swash moves correctly your blades should too (as long as you didn't install them upside down... yeah, been there done that in my early heli days.....)

As far as angling of the blades, when they aren't spinning, if you look at them they should look 90 degrees different that your stick movement, hard to explain so don't worry about that too much right now. Basically though, if you move the stick right to left, you need your blades to be pointing to the nose and tail of the heli to see them tilt. This is important when setting up your heli and worrying how much tilt you get, but i don't think you're quite there yet so don't worry about it. You'll fly fine as long as your swash and blades, and therefore your heli, are generally moving correctly.

but yeah, take a video and post, then i'm sure somebody here can help u out pretty quick
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:08 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
As long as the swash is level by eye moves correctly by stick and moving with the heli (See video) put it on the ground and slowly spool it up. Check blade tracking and adjust as needed. Increase head speed very slowly. If it wants to tip stop, adjust swash and test again. It's that easy. Your done. No stand involved. You are making this much more complicated than it needs to be
Gapi: Maybe it's the way my brain works but unless you have questions specific to my procedure that I use and works for me, above, I'm not going to be able to help you any more. I find myself repeating myself.

Now that there are 3 of us saying the same thing will you listen?