HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:59 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
A lot of the wires on the heli are 14 gage. 16 sounds small and I bought some 12 gage wire that i used on mine, but it was a lot bigger than what came on it. You should be safe with 14 gage while still saving weight.
Thanks! I got the wire and my connectors from RCDude today and 14 AWG is the perfect size for soldering HXT and XT60 connectors.

Any smaller and there would be a small O.D. void requiring a little more solder to boil before inserting the tinned wire. If you put too much in the HXT it may over fill into the little hole and get into the locking groove for the insulator.

The wire is very nice. Very flexible and super high strand count. I like this Dude.

Since most after market batteries come with XT60 connectors I made an adapter so I can go to and fro the OE and aftermarkets.
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:04 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,706 Posts
I did know walkera had made some changes in the production of some parts, but like i said before, i've never had to change a feathering shaft or blade grip on my v400's. I guess i'm lucky. I have 3 complete spare heads sitting in my parts box. I wanna try one on a 450pro cause i've been through many heads on that heli. It now has a dfc head but who knows how long that will last.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:46 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,719 Posts
Just saw Daver Herbert's video. Wow, nice for beginners. It really flies nice. I'm sure if I got one it would not fly like that, I have the worst luck with Helis. My last Walkera was a POS and the 3 axis gyro does not work correctly (V370D01). On Dave's video, he says it came with the DEVO 7 for $159. But I just see the dated WK series one for $159. What gives?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:00 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Just saw Daver Herbert's video. Wow, nice for beginners. It really flies nice. I'm sure if I got one it would not fly like that, I have the worst luck with Helis. My last Walkera was a POS and the 3 axis gyro does not work correctly (V370D01). On Dave's video, he says it came with the DEVO 7 for $159. But I just see the dated WK series one for $159. What gives?
I just looked at it too. When he does loops I don't see much if any stick movement on the right side. It doesn't click for me, get it.

Oh, which video you talkin about?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:07 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,719 Posts
This one.

FLYBARLESS Walkera V400 3D TRAINER Heli has an e.T.R.M. A review by NightFlyyer. (11 min 57 sec)

It says $159. Now they only have the Exceed version for $205. No thanks. Don't know why I am even looking. I have already given up on an Esky CPX, have a clone that I can't get the tail to work, and now having tail issues with a Hausler that I got because it was reported to fly well out of the box. I like the micros, they fly so nice, like the Nano and even my Solo Pro 100. I just want a collective pitch heli, but $200 is too much to risk, as most never fly with me. Plus I don't want to pay extra for Walkera's radio that they re just going to dump like they did the WK series.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
If I was unsure about my 2614 I'd bring it up on the tail ESC only and change orientation to see how the gyro reacted. Save some $ if it's good. You will need the stock ESC to power the 2614.
I have brushed to brushless converter, and I've been flying with my v400 but I crashed it down and all stock servos was destroyed. So I will make some small upgrades on my babe and also I'll need soft-starting ESC.

Now Im just thinking about upgrade of tx+rx, cause setting of wk2603 is little bit heavier for me (everytime when going to setting is everything deleted) and also Im not sure about gyro in rx2614v cause last time when I've been hovering my heli suddenly flied weird and uncontrollably and crashed down. It was quite unstable.

So I just wanna to know if anybody from you tested devo7 or devo8s with compatible rx (RX802). And which gyro should i use.
Thanx.
djsmeegy is offline Find More Posts by djsmeegy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:06 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmeegy View Post
So I just wanna to know if anybody from you tested devo7 or devo8s with compatible rx (RX802). And which gyro should i use.
Thanx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Due to the 'tail motor driven' setup of the v400, you are limited as to what rx's you can use. 2614v for older tx's (2603 and 2801), and the 2614v-d for devo tx's.
To expand on kdeans response above the you need to go with the 2614 receiver / tail and cyclic gyro. The 802 doesn't have any gyros but is a reveiver only with it's unintended use in a 450 on up using BeastX, GX, Vbar etc gyros. Way overkill for the 400.

You mention that you are loosing changes made to your 2603. You need to follow the instructions verbatim when using the enter key. If not you will loose the changed setting. This link may help:
walkera 2603 setup with v400d02.MOV (18 min 54 sec)

I would disconnect the main if you have your new ESC, or power the 2614 from the stock one, like I mentioned on the last page, and test the tail by hand. Let the gyro lock, change rudder position, move the heli and let it lock, etc. Disconnect the battery, rebind and repeat several times and see if you can get the gyro not to lock. If it doesn't lock get another 2614. It's you choice if you want to get another RX2614V to use with your 2603 or get the RX2614V-D and Devo Tx. Let us know how you make out. Many of us are using the 2614 w/o any problems.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:28 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
kdean- Were you aware that they made 2 different blade grips and feather shafts for the 400? I think the top is the original. It was also a bad day. That is today's damage. The bottom is the newer one where the shaft isn't tapered at its ends. Also the bearing ID and screw are larger on the newer one. The grip is shorter on the newer.
So if one needed that part how would he know which to order? Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Other than getting the entire head for $40 - $45 the only other part you can get is the feathering shaft. I have 3 on order and the photo looks like the bottom one w/o the tapered ends. Thanks Walkera!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:40 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
I ordered a heatsink and got two. I installed them today cutting one down to fit.

I had to shape them because after snapping them on I could see they were only touching the motor body at the tips of the ends and just barley at the center. Not a very good way to sink.

Anyway. That's that.

Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Those Esky heat sinks were made to fit a motor like the one in my CB180D at 24mm not the V400 at 27.5mm. Need to get some better double sided tape for that receiver.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Those Esky heat sinks were made to fit a motor like the one in my CB180D at 24mm not the V400 at 27.5mm. Need to get some better double sided tape for that receiver.
Thanks,

If your saying better tape because of the rubber bands in the pic, those were just to hold the battery down while I tested and checked her balance and such. But if you are saying its a known issue please clarify?

Those are the heat sinks are what I have seen suggested for the V400. If you have better please toss it at me.

Thanks again
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:53 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2012
120 Posts
Ok. Thank you very much for info. I'll test it and I'll let you know.
And about tx 2603 I thought that i loss settings when i re-enter setup. I think know how to save and go thru it but it's a pity if i wanna to make small change (for example gyro sens from 80 to 90%) I'll have to go thru many settings with knobs v1 and v2.
Will see if I'll stay with wk2603. I hope so.
djsmeegy is offline Find More Posts by djsmeegy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:01 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Thanks,

If your saying better tape because of the rubber bands in the pic, those were just to hold the battery down while I tested and checked her balance and such. But if you are saying its a known issue please clarify?

Those are the heat sinks are what I have seen suggested for the V400. If you have better please toss it at me.

Thanks again
Just bustin' Looks like they are holding down the receiver.

Actually Esky does make a HS for a 370 / 380 motor. Wonder why the center isn't in contact? I apply a thin coat of thermal grease on 180 but that only works if it correctly fits. Try bending it better to the contour of the case then slide it on the end instead of snapping it on the side. That causes it to get deformed. You will probably need to remove the motor because of the PCB on the top.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmeegy View Post
Ok. Thank you very much for info. I'll test it and I'll let you know.
And about tx 2603 I thought that i loss settings when i re-enter setup. I think know how to save and go thru it but it's a pity if i wanna to make small change (for example gyro sens from 80 to 90%) I'll have to go thru many settings with knobs v1 and v2.
Will see if I'll stay with wk2603. I hope so.
The 2603 is known to be very un-user freindly. I've just shelved mine 2 days ago after getting my Devo 10.