HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:26 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Tail Motor Brushless Speed Controller (HM-59DQ-Z-39 10A-T) from PRO RC Hobby $22.07 shipped.

A US Texas / Kansas company, who knows, maybe they will have it on the mainland eh? Time will indicate that one.
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:26 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
That stock brushed motor might only last about 20 flights anyway, so why not get your money worth out of it. I spent the first 11 flights or so just hovering in my livingroom.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:34 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
Crash damage is far less than you would expect with a solid hit to the pavement. The only thing i dont have are another pair of 335mm blades. I'll have to fly it with 325's until i can put the order in.

I also found that the elevator was loose in the bracket, which explains the pitchy unpredictable flight behaviours.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:39 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,362 Posts
Hope it flies good after you get it put back together.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:58 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
That stock brushed motor might only last about 20 flights anyway, so why not get your money worth out of it. I spent the first 11 flights or so just hovering in my livingroom.
Sound advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Crash damage is far less than you would expect with a solid hit to the pavement. The only thing i dont have are another pair of 335mm blades. I'll have to fly it with 325's until i can put the order in.

I also found that the elevator was loose in the bracket, which explains the pitchy unpredictable flight behaviours.
Looking at that gear, I seen an older video of a V400 brushless conversion where the guy changed it. I guess now we just go with the 15 tooth pinion instead?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:06 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
The RTF kit comes with a 18 amp ESC. You need 25 and I went with a 30, price was right. You will also need to solder a 100 ohm resistor to the pwr chk on the 2614 to fake it out.
Tell me more about the resistor. Inline (which one) or shorted across both wires? Whats it fooling and what happens if its not done. Specs on the resistor?

Never Mind

Wire a 1000 ohm (Brown, Black, and Red) resistor onto a servo connector, one leg to middle where the red wire normally goes, then wire the other side of the resistor to the signal position where the white wire normally would be. Resistors have no polarity so it doesn’t matter what end of the resistor you use. You could use an old servo connector and solder the resistor to the end of the red and white wires after you have cut the wires off to any length you prefer. Plug this into the power check position on the receiver. This is a binding plug. The transmitter will not bind to the receiver without this plug. The power-check monitor needs to see a voltage level. You can buy a 1K resistor from Radio Shack or your favorite electronics store. When you plug it in, make sure the signal edge of the resistor lines up on the edge with the other signal wires on the receiver; white wires facing the inside edge of the receiver. Also watt will do fine. If you can’t find watt, then will also work. It does not have to be high price and high tolerance. Cheap 1k is just as good for this purpose. If you figure a way for good contact, you could also mount it directly in the servo plug
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:58 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,964 Posts
Hi guys, I see that some of you are interested in converting your V400D02 over to brushless motors. I just want to mention that everything you need to know in order to do the conversion is somewhere in this thread, you just have to search. Getting the conversion done correctly for everyone required nearly a two-year collaboration, so it is difficult to come up with a quick answer to questions now days, especially with other helis currently on the bench. I don't own a Devo version of the V400, so I don't know the specifics of how the brushless conversion would work on that receiver, but I did draw up a wiring diagram for the older Rx2614V receiver that I hope will help: Wiring Diagram for Rx2614V.

Regardless of the receiver you have, there are certain specifics that you will need. You will need the above-mentioned resistor for the Power Check port. You need to know how to properly set up your head geometry, and your servo and grip links. You will also need to set your throttle range in your transmitter, once the conversion is finished. I have posted descriptions of these tasks with some photos in my blog: navigator2011's blog.

I hope this helps with some of your questions.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:38 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Skid Grommets Grips

I seen some pics of the super skid grips on super skids in a post elsewhere and they seemed not to touch. There was a close-up of something else the poster wanted to show and I seen them not touching the surface while the Heli was sitting flat on the table. Maybe it was intentional and I tried some o-rings that did the same.

So I was in Lowe's today and found these grommets and put them on and they have great traction. $1.25 each. They were tight to get started but do go on and hold nice.

Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:52 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Generally I try the search and its grueling to say the least. But I never tell folks to use the search. If I don't have any help I just roll my mouse wheel to then next post.

Does your blog posts come up in search results? I never seen it. Good stuff though thanks!
Your pics are nicely focused too.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:17 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Thanks, And I did open with a "thanks for the vids". I was just letting him know in the event he makes more he can improve. I am a photographer and vidiographer and look for all the feedback I can get + or -. I hope he doesn't take it as a rant or harassment and much as a helping honest feedback.

I am in the process of posting some tips for those who can use them over in helitalk..
No worries, it takes more than that to hurt my feelings I always welcome constructive criticism!

However, in the case of videos, that's probably the best you'll get out of me for now, i'm just using a very cheap camera, guess i won't win any Oscars for that one, huh, lol.

Hey, at least it's a step up from the 2603 video I made that lasakro linked to a few pages back On that one I was holding the camera in my hand, shaking it constantly, and making a video with info on a transmitter that i hadn't used in months. Despite that i think it helped a few people at least.

Anyway, just catching up on this thread after my christmas travels. I haven't been on this thread much lately, but I'm glad to see a new set of people diving head first into this hobby and doing their best on this forum to help others out along the way. Btw, did i hear somebody say they read all 500+ pages straight through A lot can be found with a search, but if you can't find it within a few minutes feel free to ask, I know the search function can be frustrating. Nobody will be offended if you ask a question that's already been asked, I don't think anybody expects somebody just joining to read the whole 500+ pages. Though kudos to those that do! Also Nav made a good point, it took us quite a while to figure out some of these things, and some of the details have faded from our minds....
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Last edited by dilberto; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:23 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Thanks, Sometimes I eat my foot unintentionally. Thanks for letting me off the hook.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:39 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Sometimes I eat my foot unintentionally. Thanks for letting me off the hook.
I could imagine with you being a videographer, some of our videos must be painful to watch!

Like me being a design/development engineer, I find it painful to see some of the poor designs on the stuff i buy, especially if i know it wouldn't have taken much at all to improve it

Those are the kind of things that go unnoticed by most but stand out to people in the field i guess. Just like most of our spelling and grammar would most likely make an English major pull his hair out.....
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:42 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Generally I try the search and its grueling to say the least. But I never tell folks to use the search. If I don't have any help I just roll my mouse wheel to then next post.

Does your blog posts come up in search results? I never seen it. Good stuff though thanks!
Your pics are nicely focused too.
I can usually find what I need by using the Search feature, especially if I know which thread things are in. I even have to use Search to find stuff I wrote--just cannot remember where I put everything. That is one reason I started a blog, just so I could localize stuff that I found useful.

Speaking of blogs, be sure to also check out Kdean's blog--he's got really great stuff in there.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:34 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
My christmas presents came in today. Now i dont feel so bad about the superV400 needing blades, I have most of the things i need to convert my 600 to 12s. And a set of hitec 5245 servos for my 500. Also the BeastX that i'm putting in the 600, but have not recieved the special cable to run it as a tail gyro only. And some other stuff that will keep me busy. I also have some parts coming to convert the 600 to torque tube. AND.... another 600 frame to be my stand-by 600 project. I need something to put all the old electronic in....

So, the superV might be on the side lines for a while. Or, i might just slap some 325's on it and take it for a 'spin' anyway. But only when the wind calms down...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:38 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
We have no problem answering any noob questions here. It makes me feel smarter than i really am. I dont know much about the devo setup issues, but everything else - "i've been there, done that"