HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Glad to hear you were over grass. Have you heard of a brushless motor conversion? Oh yeah, nobody knows that these motors just give out, I mean nobodys ever reported it
Great choice, the V400D
Yup, I am aware of the brushless but I didn't want to put more into this heli. I do know that these motors give out, as I have gone through numerous of them, but they have not just failed like this before. Usually it begins to lose power or starts to make noise versus just totally failing out of the blue. Perhaps I have just been "lucky" in the past, but I've never had a motor give out quite like this one did.
C6Silver is offline Find More Posts by C6Silver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:52 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
I put three packs through my superV today, getting it setup for 'ultimate 3D'. Anyway, it now has the extended boom and im comfortably flying 335mm main blades without haveing to worry about the main blades hitting the tail blades. I was shocked at how different they make this heli feel. Now i say 'this' heli because i had some 335's on one of my other v400 back in the day, and they did not need as many adjustments as i had to make today. I acctually put them on by mistake but the 335's only made that v400 feel alot more stable with no adjustments. Maybe because of the less percise tgy mg90 servos. Today, i was fighting the heli to do what i was able to so easily before the switch. It was windy, 10-15mph constant, but i know the difference between turbulance and gyro corrections. I had to lower my aile and elev gyro gains on the rx, add some balance delay, and add some aile/elev extent, just to get it comfortable and more predictable during forward flight. I did not have change these setting for about 100 flights. The only pot i adjusted was the tail mix pot because after putting the extended boom on, i could not get the tail to hold during hard pitch pumps. I think i got the bright idea of the extended boom from xseeker, when he put the 700 tail on his 600 and told of its superior hold. When i tried it on my superV, still using 325mm blades, the results were poor. Thats why i went with the intention to try using the atsmix or revo mix. But, now that im using the 335mm blades, i could not get the tail to kick out. I tried some very hard pitch pumps and the tail held like glue. Better than my 450pro with the beastX (but it does have enormous play in its pitch slider right now). Its just as good as the spartan in my 600, and the beastX in my 500. Now dont get me wrong i'm not saying that a walkera fbl/rx and tail motor driven heli is comparable to those high end gyros. But it is. I'm sure I will find the short comings when i start doing some fast backward flight, but i know my superV will tic toc with the best of them.

So i'm guessing that the physics between the length of the boom and the size of the main blades is a major factor in how well the tail holds it heading. And the extra 20mm makes a big difference with my extended boom setup.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:36 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Kind of makes sense. The tail has more leverage, using less energy. I guess size really does matter. How much have you increased the length? Good to here about the 2614.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Hi,
I have question about tail fin or tail motor holder.
I think it is break very easily, I already break it few times. and don't want to spend money for it anymore. is there any way to reinforce tail fin?
AriLouie is offline Find More Posts by AriLouie
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:11 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
The poor design and low quality materials make the tail motor holder about as weak as the other end. Here is a fix for that: Mix epoxy with cotton flox as a filler and if the part is broken, attach it with super glue to hold in place, then coat the entire outside surface at the break and this will permanently bond the pieces together plus make it much stronger. If you crash hard enough to break this, you will have broken everything else on the heli. I now also use it as a preventive measure to keep the part from getting broken.

SpadCat
Here you go, a link to a post here on it.
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:23 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
I have been ordering and corresponding with chinesejade.com with questions about Walkera and parts. He seems to be close to a Walkera office or factory.
I asked him last week about some of V400D02 parts being out of stock meant Walkera was dropping support on them and he said no, they will continue to support the V400D02, he was just short and some of them he will not restock because they do not move. He is pretty fast at returning messages.

I then asked him if he had a chance of getting blue prints of it. I already know of the exploded drawings out there but would like the BPs' if I could get them.

He replied about the exploded drawings being on the Walkera site but in Chinese only because the US site was being updated (lastnight).

Just Sayin
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
AriLouie is offline Find More Posts by AriLouie
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
I Just crashed the superV again. I guess i was pushing too hard and got into a sticky situation. I was doing single piros (360) full rudder left and then when i tried one to the right, the tail rotor stalled and did not hold for another piro and a half. I hit the throttle hold to stop the spin and was kind of in control. Then i got the bright idea of trying to turn the throttle back on to try and keep flying. Well, that did not work. It did hit the concreat pretty hard, breaking the skids, main blades, a servo arm, and a stripped main gear. Thats all the visable damage, i'll do a better check when i get home. Not bad for a v400. All the normal things that would break and bend survived.
Last edited by kdean; Jan 07, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:51 PM
United States, NC, Whitsett
Joined Jun 2012
39 Posts
So I got my v400 for Christmas and spent a few days getting it all set up and hovering out in the driveway. Saturday was a great day so I took it and the Master CP to the softball field to fly for the afternoon. Had a great day and alternating between them, I put 4 batteries through each. Last battery on the v400 and I lost orientation and visibility and it slid out in a turn and hit the ground. Only broke a landing gear, main gear, and two stock servos.

I had a set of Fusonics ready to install, so I started the repairs. Upon installation (which was actually pretty easy), I was having difficulty getting things to move in the right direction. I had reversed the channels, but was fighting correct swash movement even without the gyros enabled. I ended up pulling the servos and checking them with my servo tester and it turns out that two of them moved in opposite directions right out of the box. Upon further investigation, when I opened up all 3 servos, they were all wired differently internally. Since I had some soldering to do, I decided to wire them all the same as the stock servos. Perfect, no reversing the channels or flipping the rx required.

So beware, while they seem to be a good option, quality control is a little off.

I have the Hitec 5055mg's in my Master CP and they are great.

I also then found that my feathering shaft is bent. Can anyone provide a trick to getting those bolts loose without damaging them or the head? I want to order a new shaft and know there are two different versions, but I'm not sure which I have and the I can't get the bolts to break loose. I've tried heat, but doesn't seem to help. I also have a second complete head, but it also has a bent feathering shaft and I can't get it to break free either.

Thanks - Chris
chrisnc is offline Find More Posts by chrisnc
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:32 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
United States, PA, Mt Pleasant
Joined Jul 2012
255 Posts
chrisnc,
Make sure the feathering shafts have the part number 45021. They will fit the v400 head. They are used on all the 450 size heli's. ebay or other sites have plenty of supply. make sure you clean the threads in the shaft and screws before you loctite them. I just use two hex heads and mine come undone. As long as you get one out then you can just pull the shaft and bearings from the other side. Most new shafts come with new screws so dont worry about the one that is stuck.
weav01 is online now Find More Posts by weav01
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:46 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
When choosing or compiling a brushless conversion, are the components such as the ESC compatible with any of the Walkera Radio/Receiver combos? Are the components the same?
When I see the ready to fly kits spes I see Receiver: RX-2614V when it comes with the WK-2603 radio, and Receiver, and RX-2614V-D when it comes with a Devo 7.

There is a gentleman within driving distance of me that is said to have some brushless items that has made an offer and mentioned plug and play to a RX-2614V receiver. I didn't get a chance to clarify.

So I guess in a nutshell, lets say if I order a kit from RTF will he ask which combo do I have or will it matter as long as its a V400D02?

I'm still flying a Nano and have lots Sim time to do when I do get my Devo7 here, and brushless is getting way ahead of myself, but the price is opportunity only knocks once if you know what I mean. I am pondering getting it to have in reserve.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:08 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
I have not heard of any compatability issues with a bruhless esc setup and the devo version.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:09 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
When choosing or compiling a brushless conversion, are the components such as the ESC compatible with any of the Walkera Radio/Receiver combos? Are the components the same?
When I see the ready to fly kits spes I see Receiver: RX-2614V when it comes with the WK-2603 radio, and Receiver, and RX-2614V-D when it comes with a Devo 7.

There is a gentleman within driving distance of me that is said to have some brushless items that has made an offer and mentioned plug and play to a RX-2614V receiver. I didn't get a chance to clarify.

So I guess in a nutshell, lets say if I order a kit from RTF will he ask which combo do I have or will it matter as long as its a V400D02?

I'm still flying a Nano and have lots Sim time to do when I do get my Devo7 here, and brushless is getting way ahead of myself, but the price is opportunity only knocks once if you know what I mean. I am pondering getting it to have in reserve.
Don't bother with RTF. I went with these 2 links on e-bay. One for the main and the other for the tail. He has a complete set if instructions if you choose one or both upgrades.

Main: http://www.ebay.com/itm/V400D02-TURN...item53edb55fc1
Tail: http://www.ebay.com/itm/V400D02-TURN...item53edb55205

The 2614 is expecting a signal from a brushed ESC so Trunigy has made a converter after you add a main BL ESC: http://www.ebay.com/itm/V400D02-V370...item53ead6f9c8

The last item, if you also choose to do the tail will be a Walkera ESC from a HM 59 (whatever that is): http://www.helipal.com/hm-59dq-z-39-...ler-10a-t.html

The instructions I have are still burried in old email. Let me know if you want to see these.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:32 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
V400D02 Brushless Conversion

The RTF kit comes with a 18 amp ESC. You need 25 and I went with a 30, price was right. You will also need to solder a 100 ohm resistor to the pwr chk on the 2614 to fake it out.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:35 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
Great guys! That ebay vendor is kind of close too. Stone mountain GA is a 65 mile drive from here. I'm doing the hunter gatherer thing I guess.
Enjoying the little nano.
Did the on the floor training today and later managed to hover a little. By no means maintaining more than a 30 second hover and then it was not held still. Loved it though.
The floor dragging did good for hinting at what trims I needed on the little bugger.

So this old dog with a bag of new tricks is gonna be content for a while.

If it where you, and you were just now learning on a Nano and a Sim and had a V400 on your bench and box of trick brushless parts, knowing now, what you did not know then.......would you be able to hold back and fly it bone stock or break yourself in from the get go and be brushless on your 1st V400 solo?