SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:33 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Hi Guys, I am really new and still flying a Esky Nano and but cought a deal on a new 400D02 that's shipping soon.
I will not attempt flying it until I have lots of simulator time via the controller that is coming with it.
This is a huge & valuable thread and I promise to work my way through it but please help me choose the best known simulator software you guys have found for the V400D02.

I have a serious home built PC running Win 7x64.
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
56 Posts
I second the hs 5055 nomination I have a set on my stock v400d02 and devo7 transmitter and they have survived alot of beginners hard landings. You have to un-plug, re-plug the ALE connector to get the heli to bind, but otherwise they are solid. servocity.com sells the servos, replacement parts and all different types of servo horns. I have broken the servo horns and the servos are still working.

I've tried a couple sets of the rtf-heli metal servos and they are also solid.
jfranklyn is offline Find More Posts by jfranklyn
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:37 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,176 Posts
V400d02

Slow going but hopefull it will all work.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Jan 01, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:43 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Hi Guys, I am really new and still flying a Esky Nano and but cought a deal on a new 400D02 that's shipping soon.
I will not attempt flying it until I have lots of simulator time via the controller that is coming with it.
This is a huge & valuable thread and I promise to work my way through it but please help me choose the best known simulator software you guys have found for the V400D02.

I have a serious home built PC running Win 7x64.
I use HelisimRC its free but feels alot like the real thing. Much better that FMS. Have not tried any of the expensive sims, (real flight, pheonix), cause I would rather spend that money on upgrades and spare parts.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:45 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklyn View Post
Hello,
This looks like a really sturdy setup. Can you answer a couple of questions?
What is the white stuff you have on the motor windings? I assume its epoxy? I broke one of the wires on my bl tail motor and had to buy a replacement. This would have saved me from that expense.
Can you send some details on the carbon fiber tail boon? Is it a hunting arrow shaft or something you made custom?

Thanks
You can find the DIY cf stuff on my blog page.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:48 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklyn View Post
I second the hs 5055 nomination I have a set on my stock v400d02 and devo7 transmitter and they have survived alot of beginners hard landings. You have to un-plug, re-plug the ALE connector to get the heli to bind, but otherwise they are solid. servocity.com sells the servos, replacement parts and all different types of servo horns. I have broken the servo horns and the servos are still working.

I've tried a couple sets of the rtf-heli metal servos and they are also solid.
If you have the devo version, or not, the blue fusonic servos at wowhobbies (450 parts section) are just as good as the hitec and cost around half as much. They also dont need the be unpluged to bind.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:44 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I use HelisimRC its free but feels alot like the real thing. Much better that FMS. Have not tried any of the expensive sims, (real flight, pheonix), cause I would rather spend that money on upgrades and spare parts.
Thanks,

I'll look at it. I guess I'll need a connector for the controls to the PC. Can you point me at one?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:00 AM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Mercy! I'm on page 24 of April 2011. Learning a bunch though.

I am a long way off from flying it I tell you (months) but I do plan on doing the metal boom support right off the bat.
I am a retired machinist and industrial maintenance technician so I just love this stuff.

I don't need to do any of the high tech mods yet for sure but if there are any more "Structural" improvements that would be a good idea to do right out of the box please pass them on to me.

Any thing to bring me along faster from April 2011 to now in the form of info and links will be greatly received.

Right ow just absorbing and reading up here and viewing the learning videos @
RC HelicopterFun.com.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:27 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
gapi- you might want to try this cable: http://www.hobby-usa.com/shop/produc...oducts_id=9524 I'm using HelisimRC with my Esky sim contoller I got back a few years back. Haven't used it since until kdean mentioned HelisimRC.

The first thing when your V400 shows up change out the servos to MG ones. I use EXI D213F without needing to unplug for binding.

With you being a retired machinist you will probably laughed at my attempt for upper frame brackets on the last page. That's a weak point that you might want to spend time on.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:05 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Mercy! I'm on page 24 of April 2011. Learning a bunch though.

I am a long way off from flying it I tell you (months) but I do plan on doing the metal boom support right off the bat.
I am a retired machinist and industrial maintenance technician so I just love this stuff.

I don't need to do any of the high tech mods yet for sure but if there are any more "Structural" improvements that would be a good idea to do right out of the box please pass them on to me.

Any thing to bring me along faster from April 2011 to now in the form of info and links will be greatly received.

Right ow just absorbing and reading up here and viewing the learning videos @
RC HelicopterFun.com.
Since you are a machinist and I assume have CNC experience, it would be great if you could come up with a aluminum rear support. Simple angle brackets have been used. There are kits you can buy to support the boom.

What I have imagined is a simple square chunk of aluminum with a hole in it for the boom and little "feet" to mount to the lower frame. The front support is a bit more complicated but could follow the same design. A new rear support would help although, I have never had a problem with my stock one. But then, I don't do any 3D.

I bought my V400 back when they were $129 for a cheap CP heali to get started with and that is what Walkera intended it for. Cheap brushed motor, cheap gear design, separate tail motor. It still gets the job done at twice the price. However, you WILL want to replace those stock servos unless Walkera has upgraded them.

You might want to attach some training gear right at first until you get it dialed in. Tame it down with D/R & EXPO. Set your throttle curve for something like 0-20-78-78-78 and pitch for something like 0-4-14-30-50. You will probably come up with something different. I like to run my motor at constant RPM and get lift with pitch.

my 2c
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,176 Posts
Several months ago I bought V400D02 from X-heli. They had it for $114.00/ + shipping free with $100.00 or more purchase. Recently ought Master c/p for $119.00 + 5% discount. Master suffers from servo problem, but metal gear sevos are available. I to said I'll just take it easy and fly V400 as is. Guess what ? small mishap striped one sevo and broke both mounts. Mounts have been replaced and will do something to add extra strenght. Bought Exi D213f servos that fit sevo brackets but need some triming of sevo tags. I should recieve Walkrea Metal sevos today and hold off till they arrive.
The damage done to my V400D02 was entirely my fault. It did reviel very blunt weakness of this bird. The Master c/p is much, much better heli. It is 250 size with 400 power train, just same motors as V400. Much more robust and smaller size. Gyros work very well and I like it. Zippy compack 3cell 1000 ma batteries are $6.00 and work fine. 3.5mm connectors and good to go. Anyway sometime this week the V400 should be flyable...
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:19 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Several months ago I bought V400D02 from X-heli. They had it for $114.00/ + shipping free with $100.00 or more purchase. Recently ought Master c/p for $119.00 + 5% discount. Master suffers from servo problem, but metal gear sevos are available. I to said I'll just take it easy and fly V400 as is. Guess what ? small mishap striped one sevo and broke both mounts. Mounts have been replaced and will do something to add extra strenght. Bought Exi D213f servos that fit sevo brackets but need some triming of sevo tags. I should recieve Walkrea Metal sevos today and hold off till they arrive.
The damage done to my V400D02 was entirely my fault. It did reviel very blunt weakness of this bird. The Master c/p is much, much better heli. It is 250 size with 400 power train, just same motors as V400. Much more robust and smaller size. Gyros work very well and I like it. Zippy compack 3cell 1000 ma batteries are $6.00 and work fine. 3.5mm connectors and good to go. Anyway sometime this week the V400 should be flyable...
I ordered a T-rex 250 kit wo/electronics from an e-bay vendor for $170. I have most all the electronics - just needed the frame to get the project started. Just needed a project.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:26 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
I know what you mean about needing a project. I just ordered a ALZRC 480 Devil. Finishing off the electronic orders today.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:41 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,004 Posts
Quote:
I am also using HeliSimRC, thanks to Kdean telling me about it about a year ago. It is surprising realistic, and I love practicing on it. I also have FMS which is also good, and improved my skills big time back in the day.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:55 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,004 Posts
Quote:
If you have the devo version, or not, the blue fusonic servos at wowhobbies (450 parts section) are just as good as the hitec and cost around half as much. They also dont need the be unpluged to bind.
I am running the Fusonics in my 450 Pro clone heli, and I had Hitecs in my V400 which I have since sold on to Kdean. I would rate the performance of the Hitecs as superior to the Fusonics, without a doubt in my mind. I say this due mostly to comparing the smoothness of operation and the amount of free play in the gears while not powered, as well as the fact that replacement gears and cases are widely available for the Hitecs (they are 'keepers'), whereas there are no spare parts for the Fusonics (they are disposeable, I guess). On the other hand, the Hitecs are quite expensive from the start, and the Fusonics have been perfectly reliable for me--no glitches or any other aberrations to speak of. I do find the Fusonics to be a jumpy, so you will have to do your best to tone that down.

If given a choice in which money was not a factor, I would jump at the Hitecs in a heartbeat . . . unless I had a DEVO rx in my heli. There is no way I would screw around with unplugging servos with every new battery. So, if you have a DEVO Rx, I think the Hitecs are out of the equation, leaving the Fusonics or some other brand as the only reasonable answer.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011