Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Upper Frame L Brackets / EXI D213F Servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I changed out reat boom mount but wait till I have everything to use. Also ordered some Metal gear new servos for Master c/p. Next time I fly this area will be much bigger. Have to do something to add extra strength to weak plastic mounts.
I wonder if Exi 213f's are plug and play? correct rotation, no removing servo to bind etc? Any info will be good, thanks. I want to get V400 back to where it was and even better with upgraded servos and reinforced mounts for upper frame.
Last week I finished the "COCO Frame" build. I think it came out very sturdy. Haven't decided if I want to paint it. Home Depot stocks 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16th aluminum angle in 3 foot sections. I cut four 1/4" wide brackets and cut the four mounts off of the front and rear stock brackets close to the frame. I didn't use the stock holes in the lower frame because they were to close to the upper frame. I through bolted the brackets in the front with a #4 because I I didn't have anything smaller 3/4" long. The rear are just self tapped with slightly longer screws. The holes for the front mounts to the lower frame are counter sunk so the battery doesn't rub. With more metal in the top of the lower frame I was able to properly mount the RTF-HELI boom support bracket nice and close to the frame. I also went with a CF boom. If you crash again with only those plastic brackets they will break. You can use the broken ones for the bracket mod as long as there is material remaining to act as a spacer while marking the hole positions on the metal L brackets.

This was very time consuming for me without a band saw and I'm not a metal fabricator as can be seen after looking at the brackets. In the end I'm sure it was very well spent time. In hind sight the brackets would have been 1/2" wide instead of 1/4.

My EXI D213F's are setup on the radio as normal, no reverse. If I had to unplug a servo to get the electronics to bind they would have been removed and shipped back to the vendor for a refund. Totally unacceptable.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
Very nice work. For some reason, maybe the warm moist air down here, i have never broken any of the plastic mount parts. But if i do, now that i said it, i will be makeing up some metal L mounts, and try my hand at some better servo mounts as well. Dont want to have to mod servos everytime i need to make a replacement.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:10 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,445 Posts
Thank you for photos and info. Very good idea with brackets. I can do that and sure much, much better than feeble mounts that are stock. I have three birds down, really two as just replaced swashplate on 120 size bird. Liitle T-Rex is getting short runs from new batteries and will replace motor. Those parts have arrived. Just need new monut for V400. I will check local hardware store and pretty sure they have stock similar to what you used. Looks like I can use broken one and add brackets. Good job and thanks for info on servos.
Cheers,Dan
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriLouie View Post
I have some experience with other kind of RCs (car, airplane, heli-not cp) I'm new to CP heli.
I consider myself a beginner, not new, to CP. I've had my V400 for a while now and found it to be a bit fragile, and parts expensive, while I was new to CP. There is a wealth of knowledge which just can't be handled in a quick post but I'll just hit on a few specifics that you mention. BTY: U-Tube. Great source!

Initallize servos and set the horns at 90 deg. Level swash by eye and you want to end up with some small positive collective (~2%). Check for correct servo movement with the radio. Slowly spool up, not enough to lift, and check / correct blade tracking. When ok bring it up a bit more like you did. A lean to the left requires adjusting the swash slightly to the right. Lengthen the left or shorten the right ball link one or two FULL turns. They are meant to go on only one way. Dull face out, shinny in. This is trial and error until she want's to lift straight. The same goes for front and rear tilting. You will always get a bit of left drift because of tail push but it shouldn't tilt (with no cyclic input).

With these FLB's if you give it cyclic in one direction then center it stays in that direction. You need to provide opposite cyclic to stop it. Give yourself enough room to recover from this before you try to hover.

My radio has a switch to cut back the servo travel (extents) to 50%. Find it on the Devo and use it. Good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:37 PM View Post
hazzer7891
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while hazzer7891 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Very nice work. For some reason, maybe the warm moist air down here, i have never broken any of the plastic mount parts. But if i do, now that i said it, i will be makeing up some metal L mounts, and try my hand at some better servo mounts as well. Dont want to have to mod servos everytime i need to make a replacement.
Thank you. While you are at it send some of that warm weather up here to upstate NY. We have plenty of moisture here with 12" on the ground from Thursday and another 6" falling today. It does provide a soft crash landing though.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
I used to live in Toronto. There is a long wait until spring. I cant imagin trying to fly with gloves on. But crashing in the snow sounds like fun.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,445 Posts
Just came in from flying couple quads in my T-shirt here in Tucson,Az. Cold in the morning but ok during the day. Now to find nice out door site for bigger helis. We have many parks around but like to fly with others. Problem local parks are Haven for our illegal activity from south of the boarder.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
56 Posts
Hello all,
I have 2 v400d02's that I'm just learning to fly. I have them both setup so that I can get a steady hover. I fly them with training gear. I break lots of tail motor holders. This seems to be one of the weak points of this heli. Anyone know of any mods to fix this? I wish someone would make a carbon fiber part because the plastic ones suck! Any inputs greatly appreciated. Thanks
jfranklyn is offline Find More Posts by jfranklyn
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:21 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklyn View Post
Hello all,
I have 2 v400d02's that I'm just learning to fly. I have them both setup so that I can get a steady hover. I fly them with training gear. I break lots of tail motor holders. This seems to be one of the weak points of this heli. Anyone know of any mods to fix this? I wish someone would make a carbon fiber part because the plastic ones suck! Any inputs greatly appreciated. Thanks
I haven't heard of any tail motor holders other than the stock ones. I'm finding that the upper frames mounts are the most delicate. Actually the stock tail is used for the BL motor upgrade. I have broke a couple by coming in backwards with tail down. Not a good landing for sure.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:36 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
Have a happy new year guys....
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:38 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Have a happy new year guys....
Same here.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Happy New Year Kdean
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:28 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,445 Posts
Happy New years to all V400D02 owners and may this year bring some good flying. I recieved my new mounts and hope to install them today. Exi 213f sevos and take a good look at what I can do to add strenght to weak mounts. [aside from crashing]. My main concern is get it all working and better than it was in original condition. Make up set of training gear. I will work with Master c/p first as it is more durabkle. Smaller/ more stable and have correct new metal geared sevos soon to arrive if needed. I was warned about cheap low grade servos Walkrea used on both birds. Now I know upfront and personal its TRUE !! I am in no rush and know how easy it is to break these birds.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
56 Posts
Hello,
This looks like a really sturdy setup. Can you answer a couple of questions?
What is the white stuff you have on the motor windings? I assume its epoxy? I broke one of the wires on my bl tail motor and had to buy a replacement. This would have saved me from that expense.
Can you send some details on the carbon fiber tail boon? Is it a hunting arrow shaft or something you made custom?

Thanks
jfranklyn is offline Find More Posts by jfranklyn