HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:19 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Dont get walkera servos. I've been through the wk 09.08 and 09.09 mg servos, and their mini tail servo, non of them lasted. They either burnt on the bench, or burnt in flight, or lost gears in a crash. I really like the 5055's but i'm finding they develop a jitter around center either after some time or after a crash. You might want to try the fusonics from wow (in the align 450 section). I have heard no complaints about them yet.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Hello, new to this great thread. What a wealth of knowledge and at this point been doing it alone and only glanced back through it. I don't many flight hours on my V400D02 but many of bench hours. It's has the EXI D213F's from XHeli. I think they were only $7 a piece. I know you get what you pay for but they have to be better than stock. It also has brushless motors and the RTF tail support. The solution I'm looking for is for the flimsy plastic upper body mounts. My crashes haven't damaged the lower frame yet but even the mild ones take out the mounts. I see that COCO's blue has some nice L brackets and could fabricate some. Any thoughts? I was thinking about cutting off the plastic wing mounts and using the stock plastic to hold the upper frame together and as standoffs before adding the L brackets to the side. I've also had 2 separations on my latest swash. Will this make it unreliable? Is the Blade 400 almn and CF that I read about the stock one from them?

COCO, Any stock left on the V400eVERFRAME?

kdean, Where did you find that CF upper body frame I saw a while back?

Thanks,
Bob
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
DIY cf upper frames

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1631867

there is also a blog for makeing cf booms as well. If your going to order the cf sheet, you might as well get an 8mm tube at the same time. You will have enough cf to make three frame sets, and two booms.
Last edited by kdean; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,187 Posts
. The solution I'm looking for is for the flimsy plastic upper body mounts. My crashes haven't damaged the lower frame yet but even the mild ones take out the mounts. I see that COCO's blue has some nice L brackets and could fabricate some. Any thoughts? I was thinking about cutting off the plastic wing mounts and using the stock plastic to hold the upper frame together and as standoffs before adding the L brackets to the side. I've also had 2 separations on my latest swash. Will this make it unreliable? Is the Blade 400 almn and CF that I read about the stock one from them?

I broke both front and rear plastic mount. Only part I seen was boom support mount, but its two pieces. Is this what I need as ondered it? I know its rear but what about the front or is the two parts what I need. Very weak spot . Upper/lower frame is good just cheap plastic mounts. I was going to order Hi-tech 5055;'s from Tower, and see they no longer carry them. Who else USA sells these ?
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
As far as I know, there is no official solution to the weakness of the upper frame mounts--which is why I chose to move all of my V400 electronics over to a 450 Pro clone frame. Once the swash has separated, it is prone to separating at the most inconvenient times, and thus I feel that it should be replaced. I have read that the swash for the Blade 400 will work very well. For Hitec servos, try Servo City.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:45 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
As far as I know, there is no official solution to the weakness of the upper frame mounts--which is why I chose to move all of my V400 electronics over to a 450 Pro clone frame. Once the swash has separated, it is prone to separating at the most inconvenient times, and thus I feel that it should be replaced. I have read that the swash for the Blade 400 will work very well. For Hitec servos, try Servo City.
Thank you for reply. Is servo city USA ? Do not want to wait a month to get these .
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:50 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Well, according to the website, their address is:

ServoCity
3850 East 12th Avenue
Winfield, KS 67156

When I ordered from them, I didn't have to wait even a week, but you know the holiday season does slow things down.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:36 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Well, according to the website, their address is:

ServoCity
3850 East 12th Avenue
Winfield, KS 67156

When I ordered from them, I didn't have to wait even a week, but you know the holiday season does slow things down.
Thanks for info, thats what I wanted to know.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,112 Posts
Bird Down in Australia

Morning O Great Ones,

Yes as the title states we have a bird down in Sydney Australia with minimal damage......maybe. This is my brushless main motor bird, and I was smelling a burning smell before engine cut out and in she went. Not much damage and I had spares.......question is it common from the brushless esc to go bad? Everything else has tested ok including the motor, connect a spare brushless motor to the esc and no go. I have proved the esc is fried, has any one else seen one go bad after about 40 flights?

Merry Christmas
Trelos
Trelos05 is offline Find More Posts by Trelos05
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:41 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
If you are running the 2627-3800 their site rates it at 22 amps. One supplier by me, which I won't mention, packages it with a 18 amp continuous 22 surge ESC. Way to close for power electronics for me. I went with a 30 amp but don't have the amount of flights yet and also live in upstate NY.

Thanks for the solution on the weak upper frame mounts. Adding L brackets for now but a T-Rex 450 clone build is in my future.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Thank you for reply. How about Hi-tech 5055's for V400D02 ? I know for Master you need programer as they are reversed but V400 is reversed so it should be good ? I have both the Master c/p and V400D02. If these stock sevos strip this easy, they gotta go. I have no intent of 3D but like to be able to fly them and take a little less than perfect flying.
What TX do you have? If its a Devo then the 5055's are going to work but you have to unplug one every time you bind the heli. My v400 was a devo7 and i had to do it every time i put a new lipo in, So i just sold the devo and put in the 2801 pro and rx thats not devo to stay using the 5055. No reversing of the servo plug and play but have to unplug one every time you bind the heli.
rangerxp28 is offline Find More Posts by rangerxp28
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerxp28 View Post
What TX do you have? If its a Devo then the 5055's are going to work but you have to unplug one every time you bind the heli. My v400 was a devo7 and i had to do it every time i put a new lipo in, So i just sold the devo and put in the 2801 pro and rx thats not devo to stay using the 5055. No reversing of the servo plug and play but have to unplug one every time you bind the heli.

If 5055's don't work with this what does ? I have not heard this about using 5055's. I don't want to seem doubtful but why disconecting a servo have to do with it ?? Heli is Devo, and radio is Devo 7 ?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:41 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Quote:
If 5055's don't work with this what does ? I have not heard this about using 5055's. I don't want to seem doubtful but why disconecting a servo have to do with it ?? Heli is Devo, and radio is Devo 7 ?
thats why i always recomend the fusonics now. They work with devo or not. I dont know why, but for some reason the 5055s will not allow the 3axis to initilize properly unless one is unpluged when binding. Another strange walkera thing...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
thats why i always recomend the fusonics now. They work with devo or not. I dont know why, but for some reason the 5055s will not allow the 3axis to initilize properly unless one is unpluged when binding. Another strange walkera thing...
What is number as they have several types and sizes ?? [Fusonics] I have bird apart and ordered parts. Some I have but need servos. Anything has to be better than garbage that comes with it. Thank you. Mods needed or plug and go. Sure let down with this bird.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Sure let down with this bird.
When you read through this entire thread, you will see that you will have to work to make this heli reliable; and once you do, it will fly very, very well. Your reward for all of this, besides getting the V400 to fly, will be gaining enough knowledge to not only build much more advanced helis from scratch, but also to teach others, as well. I feel that I have gained quite a bit from my work with the V400D02.