Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:56 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Today I hovered and trimed in my livingroom. I think I added some curve to my cyclic servos, not sure if i saved the setting. And put my gyro sensitivity to 100%. Alot more manageable in this close space. It is still a little 'twichy' but this came in handy when I had to pull some drastic manovers to avoid the side of the couch.

This heli is more forgiving on landings that I thought. Was able to land safely at strange angles. The landing skids really stick.

I tried the dual rates and hated it. Both throttle and swash extent sucks the life out of the heli, and it feels strange haveing the throttle so high and no climbing action.

Nothing broken = good flight.....

Kdean
Wow. You managed to hover this big guy in your living room with nothing broken. Well done.

It is very tempting indeed.

Last time I tried hovering my little EP-200 clone in my bedroom, it slided and touched its own shipping box. The main blade exploded taking the tail boom and part of the head with it.

I have few spare for my V400D02. I'll pass and save them for flying outside.

It is warming up to 0 degree, the first day of winterlude this weekend. Summer is coming soon.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:14 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Thanx blayd,

Its only getting better......

Charged my only battery, until my shipments come in, and trimmed it out. I also, fixed th EXP on the transmitter, set it to 30%. I had to trim the rudder 39 degrees to the right. Tail just wanted to go that way all the time..... But now she is solid as a rock.

I could not stop smiling. Hold hover at 1 meter up or even at 1 inch off the groung.

One problem im haveing though, after a steep slide from either side or front to back the heli dips to the ground and will bounce off the skids. Is this normal? Is there a way I can tune that behavior out with the electronics? Or do I just have to get used to pumping the throttle during a bank slide? My FMS sim does not do this...LOL

Charging, 2 hours

Flight Time, Priceless

kdean
That is true of the simulator TRex 600 I have been practicing on. It will slide to left every time (and back) and I have to pump the throttle quickly or it will "reland", but now I am getting used to it and my takeoffs into a hover have been getting smoother.
I read sometime in the past if you fly a heli off grass, you need a surface such as a square piece of plywood (I am thinking a 4'x4') for the heli to take off, otherwise the sideways motion makes it impossible to left off and it will just flop over.

Glad you are having fun.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
I'm pretty sure your experiencing normal flight characteristics. Remember, when you bank a little to one side or the other, its sort of like redirecting your thrust bubble.. so not only are you sliding to the left or right, but your sliding off the bubble under the copter. Your losing your lift on a steep slide.. the copter is being pushed left or right, but the lift is also left slightly behind the copter until you get the rotor disk pushing air and creating lift UNDER the copter. You'll get it. I Use Clearview, ( too cheap to spend hundreds on a sim, that is the cost of three more V400's!! ) Clearview does pretty good to give you some dynamics.. the others are much better at it. just keep it smooth.. sounds like your doing great! ( I'm jealous!!)
Blayd is offline Find More Posts by Blayd
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:36 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayd View Post
I'm pretty sure your experiencing normal flight characteristics. Remember, when you bank a little to one side or the other, its sort of like redirecting your thrust bubble.. so not only are you sliding to the left or right, but your sliding off the bubble under the copter. Your losing your lift on a steep slide.. the copter is being pushed left or right, but the lift is also left slightly behind the copter until you get the rotor disk pushing air and creating lift UNDER the copter. You'll get it. I Use Clearview, ( too cheap to spend hundreds on a sim, that is the cost of three more V400's!! ) Clearview does pretty good to give you some dynamics.. the others are much better at it. just keep it smooth.. sounds like your doing great! ( I'm jealous!!)
Hey Blayd,

are you still using the training gear? Did you find if that was the cause of your vibration? I orderd 2 sets but they are not here yet, and I dont think I need them anymore....

If you dont have a blade problem, Tracking, Balance, Tightness (by the way, I found that unlike my 9053 the blades on the V400 should be firm.)
It sounds like you need to totaly disasemble your V400, and look at each component compared to new part.

I'm sorry for your fustrations...
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Yep, strapping on the training gear when I go out to see if it spools up, just in case. I dont think its the reason for the vibration, I have to take the upper frame off anyway to get to both bolts on the motor, so I will probably swap out the bearings, they are the only thing left thats not new to the drive. Main shaft is new, swash is new, head is new, all the old parts I took off check out fine, but figured leaving the new ones on would be best to eliminate any doubts. Thanks for your concern Kdean, I have two others, but I was really hoping to get this one working. I mean, its new. Its been hopped off the ground no more then 6 inches about a half dozent times.... it's sad to call it a loss with no bad crash.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:03 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your concern Kdean, I have two others, but I was really hoping to get this one working. I mean, its new. Its been hopped off the ground no more then 6 inches about a half dozent times.... it's sad to call it a loss with no bad crash.
I've got a new one and a crashed one on the way, bought from "thatguy" on the helifreaks site. I'm looking forward to getting it to fly again. I know I will need parts eventually, but dont want to take apart a full bird to get them.

The building and moding and repairing of these helis is half the fun, for me at least.

Why fly two, when you can fly three........
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:19 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
There are three boxes at the post office for me.

I wonder whats in them?

I still have not recieced my charger and spare batteries, and that was the first thing I orderd, 5 week ago.....
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
5 weeks??!! Man, I wouldn't be able to handle that. Your a patient man Kdean. What kind of batteries did you order? And what kind of charger? Didn't your V400 come with a charger? Did you just order extra stock batteries? Just asking, every battery I've ordered , I've had to do some soldering for. Extensions so the ESC reaches the battery, soldered new banana plugs on the storms that came with T type, and tonight, soldering together some adapters for the Blue Lipo's I bought. I remember you buying his 400, didn't know it hadn't arrived yet. I ordered another bearing set, ( that's the one item I only have one in my spare stock ) But looking at the parts, it looks like its going to be a real pain to swap out the bearings only. Trying to get them pressed out and pressed back in is always a pain with bearings..I do have a spare set of frame members, which have the bearings in them, but... I'm using my stock of spare parts on a heli that probably wont ever fly, and.... I'd have to completely separate the frame halves to swap those out. I might just set this bird down, and start with bird #2.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:21 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Yeah, It takes a long time to get here. Thats why I got back up helis...

The first order I made to xheli was for some spare blade sets, 9077 balance bars, some other spare parts, and a couple stock batteries for my 9053 Volitation.

I had no idea the V400 even existed at the time. I've read the problems you have been haveing with the V400 battery substitutes.

I saw a site that was haveing a sale on the Turnigy 1500mah, the same ones RTF Heli was selling for their brushless mod, except these were going for about $8 each.
Then I will only need to get the adapters from RTF, and a bunch of batteries from the other site. (cant remember the name right now, maybe Hobby King, or Hobby Parts.....)

You need to share some of your handy wire work. Im thinking about re-wireing the whole heli after I put in the new servos, with 'run to fit' wireing. No spagetti all over the place.

I dont know if Im doing it right but I put the stock V400 bats in by putting the black 'magic' band around the battery, then shoveing it into the frame just like that. The band make it a tight fit and it stays where you put it. Maybe, a tight fitting sub battery is not a bad thing????? No ties or rubber bands or velcro to deal with.

NE way gunna call my friend to see if he got the boxes yet, then off to work.

Hold on I have a charged battery and a couple mins to spare...... gatto go move the sofa and get some air.

kdean
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:23 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Ooops

Oh yeah,

I orderd a Thunder AC6 charger.......
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined Feb 2010
912 Posts
Quote:

Would you believe that there is a top notch heli sim demo for free? And a true RC transmitter stye controller for only 20 bucks shipped? I liked the demo so much I bought the full version for less then $70, but you do not have to. The demo comes preloaded with 3 or 4 helis and one is the TRex 600s which feels a lot like flying the V400 except not quite as stable, but that is ok, it really helps you hone your skills. This is the reason I am in no hurry to fly the V400s (along with waiting for servo mods), I just hover it here at the house (aside from all the wind we have been having) plus I can fly the sim day and night, anytime.

The reason I found this sim, is that Real Flight, Phoenix and FMS are not compatible with the Mac, where Heli-x (no, not x-Heli!) has written programs for the Mac, Linux and PCs. The company is based in Germany.

Check out the video: http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?...highlight=imac

Here is the controller link: http://www.xheli.com/rc-flight-simulator.html

The only problem is the controller is only 4 ch, but I am a long ways off from trying to 3D (at least not on purpose!).

OK, gotta go flying now!

SpadCat
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Spad!! I use Clearview, but would love to try another just to see. I have a 4ch controller and a 6ch... wonder if they will work. I'll check it out just to see.. thanks!!

As for V400#1, I just spent the night replacing...
ANOTHER SWASH.. ( only one left in my spares now..)
bearings for the main shaft
another main shaft
tried to swap out the motor with a new one I had in spare parts stock, but the new one didn't have any threads drilled in the mounting holes. Go figure, I should have guess it the way things are going.. The old one will have to do for now.
and put on my last new head I had in stock.

Looks like bad weather so not sure if I'll be able to get it going tomorrow or not.. we'll see. I'll re-balance the blades, and since weather is bad, I'll do a spool up, and try to track the blades. Need to make some adapters for the Blue Lipo's as well. Looks like #2 will have to step up... but like I posted in the other forum.. I expect it to be my second pile of scrap in about a week. And, I have a third in the box, about $400 in parts, with another $300 due by Weds.... any bids?
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
912 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Spad!! I use Clearview, but would love to try another just to see. I have a 4ch controller and a 6ch... wonder if they will work. I'll check it out just to see.. thanks!!

As for V400#1, I just spent the night replacing...
ANOTHER SWASH.. ( only one left in my spares now..)
bearings for the main shaft
another main shaft
tried to swap out the motor with a new one I had in spare parts stock, but the new one didn't have any threads drilled in the mounting holes. Go figure, I should have guess it the way things are going.. The old one will have to do for now.
and put on my last new head I had in stock.

Looks like bad weather so not sure if I'll be able to get it going tomorrow or not.. we'll see. I'll re-balance the blades, and since weather is bad, I'll do a spool up, and try to track the blades. Need to make some adapters for the Blue Lipo's as well. Looks like #2 will have to step up... but like I posted in the other forum.. I expect it to be my second pile of scrap in about a week. And, I have a third in the box, about $400 in parts, with another $300 due by Weds.... any bids?

Sorry for the bad luck you are having. What is the problem with your swash plates, do they just go bad?

The problem with helis is that you can't just repair them as a fixed wing, you have to replace parts. Fortunately, parts are not as expensive as they used to be. I rarely spend any money fixing my fixed wing crashes (especially the 3D foamies), except a little time and glue. But, these things are a kick. Maybe that is why I am hiding behind the Heli-x sim, as it feels just like flying a real RC heli, but there is no down time, and no more $$$'s going out.

If your controller can connect to a USB port, it should work.

SpadCat
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:33 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Shippment in, nothing I really need right now

Well I got my set of walkera WK-09-8 metal gear servos......

They look really good, but I'm still waiting for my tools to get here. Bahamain Customs is haveing a blast with me and my shippments. They must be flying and testing my helis for me.

The first thing I orderd, a good charger, is still not here. So, now I have 3 batteries for my 9053 and have to wait 3 hours per pack to charge. My Walkera charger took 4 hours to charge my 'one and only' battery today.

I got my nice walkera field case and only have one battery to fly, thats not much time on the feild.

I'm still using duracells in my transmitters, but I have to swap them out every time I want to use the other heli. There are two packs of rechargables sitting in Customs "Limbo"

NEway, time heals most things....

kdean
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
"Well I got my set of walkera WK-09-8 metal gear servos......"

Do these look like they will bolt in with no mods and plug into the receiver ok as well?
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace