HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, MA, Chelsea
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have been having mixed emotions on this helicopter. So far i have spent more time replacing parts than actually getting to fly it. I have yet to take it outdoors. After correcting the servos, making sure the swash plate was leveled and resetting the entire TX set up i tried to hover it again and it immediately flipped over and broke the tail rotor once again!!! keep in mind this is inside my house on a soft rug!! Good thing i have another spare to replace it once more. I won an e-bay auction to buy the wk-2801 pro for $99(Not sure if i over paid). I guess i can wait until that arrives and see if it makes any difference. My brother who has been helping me with this project has already thrown in the towel after the last flip(should have recorded it. I am sure you all would have laughed). My concern about keeping this heli is its durability. So far the tail portion seems to be extremely fragile and seems like it will constantly break even on a medium to soft landing. I have seen some videos were some people have some type of stick support that is tide under the tail boom so that the rotor doesn't hit the floor. Anyone know if that's a purchasable part?

I also did purchase a genius CP (used) and sold it 2 days later as i could never get that one off the ground too!!

So what i have learned so far from all this is be careful buying used products as a lot of sellers will never be upfront with most of the issues there heli might have. What may seem like a good buy at first will become expensive afterwards after they replace all those broken parts.

I do thank everyone on this thread for picking me up after every failed attempt to fly this heli. I usually am not the type to complain about anything but my struggles on this heli and the passion i have to want to fly it is whats causing the high emotions.
vyper2k1 is online now Find More Posts by vyper2k1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vyper2k1; Sep 04, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:06 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I tried an auto rotation landing at the end.....

http://youtu.be/35OnPtWwXO8
Excellent flight skills there Kdean!!! keep up the good work

I don't think a motor driven tail is made for autos..... Got no momentum to keep it going once throttle hold is hit.
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
1,932 Posts
3axis off

Quote:
I know the stock v400 rx has the 'wk-adj' switch. The gyros for aile and ele are off when this is in adj mode.

The 2702v has no switch, but in 'sw set' mode, after you press the set button for the first time, the gyros are off. I dont think you can fly it like that though.
Thanks Kdean ! Take care brother...
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:38 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper2k1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been having mixed emotions on this helicopter. So far i have spent more time replacing parts than actually getting to fly it. I have yet to take it outdoors. After correcting the servos, making sure the swash plate was leveled and resetting the entire TX set up i tried to hover it again and it immediately flipped over and broke the tail rotor once again!!! keep in mind this is inside my house on a soft rug!! Good thing i have another spare to replace it once more. I won an e-bay auction to buy the wk-2801 pro for $99(Not sure if i over paid). I guess i can wait until that arrives and see if it makes any difference. My brother who has been helping me with this project has already thrown in the towel after the last flip(should have recorded it. I am sure you all would have laughed). My concern about keeping this heli is its durability. So far the tail portion seems to be extremely fragile and seems like it will constantly break even on a medium to soft landing. I have seen some videos were some people have some type of stick support that is tide under the tail boom so that the rotor doesn't hit the floor. Anyone know if that's a purchasable part?

I also did purchase a genius CP (used) and sold it 2 days later as i could never get that one off the ground too!!

So what i have learned so far from all this is be careful buying used products as a lot of sellers will never be upfront with most of the issues there heli might have. What may seem like a good buy at first will become expensive afterwards after they replace all those broken parts.

I do thank everyone on this thread for picking me up after every failed attempt to fly this heli. I usually am not the type to complain about anything but my struggles on this heli and the passion i have to want to fly it is whats causing the high emotions.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such a tough go of it with both the V400D02 and the Genius. To be perfectly honest, your post suggests to me that you would benefit from practicing with a 4-channel, fixed pitch heli like the CB180D or the CB100. Those are the two helis I relied upon once I realized I could not get my V400D02 off the ground.

I had tried for weeks to get my V400 off the ground without damage, always ended up tipping, tilting, slamming down and breaking one thing or another and then waiting for new parts. Once I finally utterly destroyed my V400 by launching it into the rafters of my garage, I went and purchased the two fixed pitch helis. My first purchase was the CB180D, famous for its ease for brand new flyers. Yes, it was easy to take off, but within about 30 seconds I got disorientated, moved too close to a wall, and broke off all the tail blades, watched them fly off 1, 2, 3 ... this made me a bit angry, to say the least. But it also confirmed to me that not only could I barely fly this "super easy" heli, but I had zero chance of being able to fly my V400. After a couple months learning the sticks with the CB180D, and later indoors with the CB100, I was back on the V400 zipping all over my front yard without too much worry about crashing.

After reading your post, my recommendation is for you to get a fixed pitch heli from a reputable dealer (e.g., Heli-Heli, ClubHeli, etc.), and put the the V400 on the bench. When you are not flying your fixed pitch heli you can study the mechanics of the V400 without worrying about flying the thing. While you are learning to fly with the fixed pitch heli, you will be able to take your sweat time learning how to set up a collective pitch heli, and then figure out why your V400 is always tipping over.

I believe this is solid advice based on real experience. I hope you will accept it, and NOT just give up and quit.

Oh, and I should point out that I paid $150 for my Wk2801 Pro, and I still love it. Once you learn how it works, you will love it too.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I am sorry to hear that you are having such a tough go of it with both the V400D02 and the Genius. To be perfectly honest, your post suggests to me that you would benefit from practicing with a 4-channel, fixed pitch heli like the CB180D or the CB100. Those are the two helis I relied upon once I realized I could not get my V400D02 off the ground.

I had tried for weeks to get my V400 off the ground without damage, always ended up tipping, tilting, slamming down and breaking one thing or another and then waiting for new parts. Once I finally utterly destroyed my V400 by launching it into the rafters of my garage, I went and purchased the two fixed pitch helis. My first purchase was the CB180D, famous for its ease for brand new flyers. Yes, it was easy to take off, but within about 30 seconds I got disorientated, moved too close to a wall, and broke off all the tail blades, watched them fly off 1, 2, 3 ... this made me a bit angry, to say the least. But it also confirmed to me that not only could I barely fly this "super easy" heli, but I had zero chance of being able to fly my V400. After a couple months learning the sticks with the CB180D, and later indoors with the CB100, I was back on the V400 zipping all over my front yard without too much worry about crashing.

After reading your post, my recommendation is for you to get a fixed pitch heli from a reputable dealer (e.g., Heli-Heli, ClubHeli, etc.), and put the the V400 on the bench. When you are not flying your fixed pitch heli you can study the mechanics of the V400 without worrying about flying the thing. While you are learning to fly with the fixed pitch heli, you will be able to take your sweat time learning how to set up a collective pitch heli, and then figure out why your V400 is always tipping over.

I believe this is solid advice based on real experience. I hope you will accept it, and NOT just give up and quit.

Oh, and I should point out that I paid $150 for my Wk2801 Pro, and I still love it. Once you learn how it works, you will love it too.
Thanks Nav. I will await for the wk2801Pro to arrive and will seek out the forums advice on setting that one up. Will it bind to my 2614v receiver?

I also completely forgot about setting up the receiver itself. I never touched it since buying the heli. I looked at all the knobs and there all turned to what seems to be 50% not one turned otherwise. Maybe that too has played a part in my misfortunes. So my plan now is to try out the v400 with the 2801 just to make sure everything works. Then bench it and buy a smaller CP. I would buy used but my past experienced has led me to stick to buying new only. I will stick with Walkera so i can still use the 2801pro and get used to it. My brother is thinking of ordering the Master CP so i might just join him and order from where ever he orders to save on shipping.
I appreciate everyone's help with keeping me glued to the hobby. The forum makes me feel like i'm part of a team since i am not locally near any flying zones or clubs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:32 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Nav. I will await for the wk2801Pro to arrive and will seek out the forums advice on setting that one up. Will it bind to my 2614v receiver?

I also completely forgot about setting up the receiver itself. I never touched it since buying the heli. I looked at all the knobs and there all turned to what seems to be 50% not one turned otherwise. Maybe that too has played a part in my misfortunes. So my plan now is to try out the v400 with the 2801 just to make sure everything works. Then bench it and buy a smaller CP. I would buy used but my past experienced has led me to stick to buying new only. I will stick with Walkera so i can still use the 2801pro and get used to it. My brother is thinking of ordering the Master CP so i might just join him and order from where ever he orders to save on shipping.
I appreciate everyone's help with keeping me glued to the hobby. The forum makes me feel like i'm part of a team since i am not locally near any flying zones or clubs.
Just in case Nav doesn't reply today, I'll reply.

The 2801 pro binds fine with the 2614v, just not the 2614v-d (d on end of receiver model = Devo).

Hold on a while with the Master CP IMO;
It uses the exact same unreliable brushed motor, and crap stock servos (I think) as our V400 does for a start.
Let the Guinea Pigs waste their money and do the beta testing on your behalf.
I too am considering one, but only if it can actually take a bit of a bashing without falling to bits.
I'm in no rush.
Well done on getting the 2801... We can provide you with various numbers and percentages to programme into it.
It's a good and powerful solid unit.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
Hi guys, I'm back.

Yes, the Wk2801 Pro Tx will work with pretty much any of the older Walkeras, just NOT with the DEVO receivers. But, I think I saw that Walkera has now developed a converter, so compatibility soon will not be an issue.

What is an issue, however, is the tendency of new, frustrated pilots jumping from one broken heli to the next, hoping that the next one will fly without any problems. This is an expensive, frustrating trap that should be avoided. All new helis, and especially used ones, must be mechanically and electrically gone through before flying. Moreover, the V400 is not really intended for brand new pilots. There may or may not be anything wrong with Viper's V400--it may actually be an issue of piloting experience, or maybe mechanical experience. And, even if there is something wrong with his V400, once it is fixed this heli will fly like a charm. Either way, I think he will be best served by just keeping his V400 on the bench for now, and concentrating on stick practice with either, or both, a fixed pitch heli and a simulator. He should do a search for HeliSimRC--it is free and very realistic (I have Kdean to thank for turning me on to that one). Another excellent choice is FMS (i.e., Flying Model Simulator). FMS is also free, and while it is not terribly realistic, I promise you it will teach you the sticks. As an added bonus, he can pick up a simulator cable for the Wk2801 Pro at HeliPal, that way he can use the same Tx for sim practice as with his real helis.

Meanwhile, while the V400 is on the bench, viper can take his merry time to patiently learn about setting up collective pitch helis, and perhaps discover what, if anything is wrong in his current set up. Pull off the blades (main and tail) and spool up with the heli in your hand (careful of the main gear, it's sharp). Push and pull on the sticks, tilt the heli and watch the gyro corrections, until you are convinced that you understand how the heli works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:17 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post

I could not agree more on getting from a reputable dealer. I would like to also suggest Helipal especially to new fliers.
I bought my V120DO2S from them as BindNfly for my devo. It came with their filght checklist so it appears they actually set it up and test fly it. It was set up as perfect as you can get out of the box.
My V400, which I bought from another online store, was not the same case. The servo arms where all over the place and the swash was not close to set up.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:23 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
HeliPal is definitely what I would consider a reputable seller, and Jacky Lee is very helpful and answers all questions in a Facebook forum on his site. I have purchased one heli from HeliPal, and the heli was definitely set up to fly. The only changes I made were due to preference, not necessity. The only downside to going with HeliPal is the shipping cost. If you want your stuff within a week, you will need to use the EMS shipping and you will pay.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Wow the seller for the tx I won shipped out the tx today but will take 3weeks to get to me. He should have just sent it via usps.would have probably cost the same and came in 3 days.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Wow the seller for the tx I won shipped out the tx today but will take 3weeks to get to me. He should have just sent it via usps.would have probably cost the same and came in 3 days.
ahhh they always say 2 to 3 weeks,it wont take that long unless its coming from China
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:46 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,468 Posts
I'm waiting 3 weeks for a piece of heat shrink tubing from china.

I need a tube big enough to re-cover the hobbywing platinum 40a esc. Thats a long time to wait for a $5 order.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:25 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
Any electrical supply stores around? If so, I bet they have some big shrink wrap.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
I'm waiting 3 weeks for a piece of heat shrink tubing from china.

I need a tube big enough to re-cover the hobbywing platinum 40a esc. Thats a long time to wait for a $5 order.
I get my heat shrink from the auto parts store
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:27 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,530 Posts
Tail motor for V400D02 ?

I can get brushed main motor but finding a tail motor in stock has not happened. Any decent Walkrea vendors with decent postage and stock ? How about oomodels? I don't need them yet but would like to have a extra set.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04