HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper2k1 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I am ordering some parts tonight. Wish I can find it all in one place to save on shipping and not have to wIt on multiple packages.
welcome to the chalange called 'my life'.

Living in the Bahamas makes thing really expensivs after shipping and a 45% customs charge on hobby gear. I try to shop as smart as possible, balancing upgrades and maintenance/spare parts. Hobbyparts has free shipping on orders over $50 so i get a few sets of blades as well as a motor or esc while i'm at it. WOW has a good mix of parts and upgrades for many different helis including walkera and align. And hobbyking has the best prices for stuff but the extra shipping cost and time is too much for some people. I just put a $90 order in at clubheli, but thats for 450pro parts. They dont have v400 parts, i wish they did though.

Heli-heli is also a good place for v400 parts.

What servos are you using? And are you still running the stock main motor?

These are things you can pick up while shopping for spare parts, to make up room in the box....
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
Registered User
vyper2k1's Avatar
United States, MA, Chelsea
Joined Jul 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
welcome to the chalange called 'my life'.

Living in the Bahamas makes thing really expensivs after shipping and a 45% customs charge on hobby gear. I try to shop as smart as possible, balancing upgrades and maintenance/spare parts. Hobbyparts has free shipping on orders over $50 so i get a few sets of blades as well as a motor or esc while i'm at it. WOW has a good mix of parts and upgrades for many different helis including walkera and align. And hobbyking has the best prices for stuff but the extra shipping cost and time is too much for some people. I just put a $90 order in at clubheli, but thats for 450pro parts. They dont have v400 parts, i wish they did though.

Heli-heli is also a good place for v400 parts.

What servos are you using? And are you still running the stock main motor?

These are things you can pick up while shopping for spare parts, to make up room in the box....
Still on stock motors,stock servos need tail boom support since the stock one already broke on first crash. Spent $65.00 on a couple of parts tonight already. Might buy the tail boom support and metal servos tonight and wait until next check for the motors and blades.
vyper2k1 is online now Find More Posts by vyper2k1
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:59 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
The tail boom support is a must have, as well as mg servos. The exi 213f are good for cheap. The fusonics from wowhobbies are better but i'm now hearing about play in the gears. Hitec 5055's are top shelf but do develop a glitch after a year of use. I've had really good results with the tgy mg90s, they were the first mg servos i put into a v400 (instalation blog on my page). They perform well, even though they dont center well and are noisy, but they have out lasted the first set of hitecs i bought, and i just put them in a 450pro project. I like them, with all their imperfections they still feel smooth once in operation. For $6 each at hobbyking, you can pick up a battery or two along with some pro3D blades to make up some weight in the box. They also have some good, cheap motors and esc's. Then with the $19 signal convertor from rchobbygear+ (ebay) and a pinion from towerhobbies, you will have what need for the brushless main.

Shucks, for $11 more you could pick up the 2211-1700 and have the motor for the brushless tail as well.

Now you see why i cant save anymoney in this hobby. I try to get as much stuff in one order as possible...
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
I'll list some good hobbyking upgrade stuff here.

Typhoon motor. I have one (not installed in anything yet) but i've seen one in a 450 at the field and they are impressive for $13.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50_class_.html

K-force 40a esc. Copy of the hobbywing platinum series. Exellent soft start and has a govenor mode.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8922

325mm cf blades (exi pro3D). These blades have always came balacened and straight. Good quality for the price.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10820

tgy mg90s servos. These have out lasted my 5055s, and perform very well for $5 servos. Instalation is tricky, but i have a blog for that.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9392

tail motor for brushless upgrade. Get two of these. The first one i got had improper threading on the base, but i orderd two and the second was fine. The other can be used for parts.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8614

tgy 2200mah 40c battery. This is about the biggest and most powerful pack that will fit into the v400 frame. With a nice controled low head speed you could get around 10min flights. Dont over discharge them because once they get puffy they will no longer fit the v400.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10279

thats about it. Hobbyking also has a good selection of tools and misc stuff you might need. I get my hxt 4.0 banana battery connectors from them as well but the packs now only come with xt60 connectors so you might want to convert your esc/s to those as well. They are much easier to disconnect than the hxt 3.5mm bananas that come with the stock v400 stuff.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:51 AM
Registered User
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
7.2v is only 2 cells, the v400 runs on 11.1v or 3 cells. You wont get alot of head speed with that pack.

I think the only difference between car and air packs are the weight. Car packs often come in a hard case where as the air packs are only wraped in thin plastic.
yes i didnt get it for a heli plane called for a 7.4v so thats what got
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:00 AM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Unless it has a strange c rateing, or has a heavy hard case, i dont think the plane will mind it. Planes dont stress the lipos like helis do. If it fits, use it. Just check your cg with it installed.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 03:28 AM
Registered User
CO2X2010's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,181 Posts
V400d02 upgrades

vyper2K1,
As you can see,we really don't want you to quit on the V400d02 and with Kdean's expertise and all the people on this thread ,you are in good hand.Any problem you will have on the v400 ,just ask and surely you will get an answer.All of us on this thread at one point was in where your are now that we just want to quit and run away but,after all these time we are still here and been learning more and more everyday.Thanks for giving it a 2nd chance.
You did asked me to give you a list of the mods for the V400 and with my surprised,Kdean's got it all in a list and he did'nt miss a thing....Thanks Kev !
Go with Kdeans list and you will have one of the coolest V400 on this thread...Kdean got the 1st spot...no questions 'bout that. I will be shipping out your V400eVERFRAME in the morning and Thanks again !!!
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x pvc quad 2
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Well i did it. I just bought another bare bones kit and will put all my ele. from my other v into it. I also bought a fuselage to put it in. This time i bought the cheap kit.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pat_Ver_2.html
and then i purchased this to make it FBL.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...450_HK450.html
This is the fuselage.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...size_heli.html
The pro frame will go into the orange MD530 fuselage today. So i will no longer have any V400 frame any more.
I am going to sell all the parts i have left over which includes a almost complete V400 bare bones without the FBL head and main gear. I stripped it out and dont have another. The Bare bones kit has the coco 4ever frame on it along with the RTF-HELI tail boom mount. I will sell it all real cheap. I will post picts of it later today.
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
Registered User
segdohbird's Avatar
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Got my cf tail boom on my 400 yesterday. Had to do a little modification because the cf rod is just a little thicker than the stock metal boom. Ended up going 375mm in lenght, it's now almost as long as the 450 boom.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
Got my cf tail boom on my 400 yesterday. Had to do a little modification because the cf rod is just a little thicker than the stock metal boom. Ended up going 375mm in lenght, it's now almost as long as the 450 boom.
Nice stang.
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
withdrawls !!

Man i couldnt get on rcgroups most of the day,thought i was going to lose it lol
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
Registered User
vyper2k1's Avatar
United States, MA, Chelsea
Joined Jul 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Man i couldnt get on rcgroups most of the day,thought i was going to lose it lol
Lol. Yeah same here. This forum can get addicting.
vyper2k1 is online now Find More Posts by vyper2k1
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
flew the v400

Well at least i hovered awhile, for the life of me i cant stop the tail from going to the right, i have full right trim on tx, and like 25 subtrim,it holds until i get off the ground for a minute then i have to hold left rudder stick on tx ? what the heck is making it do this ? Also the thing is tough to hold in a hover,starts going forward,then left right all over the place, going to play with the gyro pots some more see if i can get her calmed down.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Well at least i hovered awhile, for the life of me i cant stop the tail from going to the right, i have full right trim on tx, and like 25 subtrim,it holds until i get off the ground for a minute then i have to hold left rudder stick on tx ? what the heck is making it do this ? Also the thing is tough to hold in a hover,starts going forward,then left right all over the place, going to play with the gyro pots some more see if i can get her calmed down.
I think you must still have a vibe somewhere, causing the tail to drift--that really is the usual reason for tail drifting on these helis. Pay close attention to your tail fin while flying--it the tip of the tail fin blurry? If so, then you have an imbalance in your tail. Also, focus on your skids. Are they blurry? If so, then same problem, but having to do with the main rotor system. Moreover, have you done a hand-held spool test?

As for the pots, I think you just need to put the gyro pots a bit above the midpoint and then forget about it. With a collective pitch heli, you will have to constantly correct for these drifting motions--its normal and you will get so used to it that you don't even think about it anymore. It's a bit like riding a bicycle. Of course, if there are vibes affecting your gyros, then controlling the heli will be ridiculously challenging.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:03 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I think you must still have a vibe somewhere, causing the tail to drift--that really is the usual reason for tail drifting on these helis. Pay close attention to your tail fin while flying--it the tip of the tail fin blurry? If so, then you have an imbalance in your tail. Also, focus on your skids. Are they blurry? If so, then same problem, but having to do with the main rotor system. Moreover, have you done a hand-held spool test?

As for the pots, I think you just need to put the gyro pots a bit above the midpoint and then forget about it. With a collective pitch heli, you will have to constantly correct for these drifting motions--its normal and you will get so used to it that you don't even think about it anymore. It's a bit like riding a bicycle. Of course, if there are vibes affecting your gyros, then controlling the heli will be ridiculously challenging.

ok thanks, ill give a good look tomorrow, ill balance both main and tail blades, also will give the main shaft a good look..
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Another new Walkera (V400D02)? GetterDragun Micro Helis 130 Apr 01, 2013 09:23 AM
Discussion Alternative canopies for Walkera V200D02, V400D02 JumboA5 Mini Helis 2 Mar 18, 2011 04:29 AM
Question Transport devices for 2x Walkera V400D02 & 2x Walkera V200D02 JumboA5 Electric Heli Talk 2 Dec 13, 2010 08:22 AM
Discussion Walkera new 3D flybarless V400D02 Naev 3D Electric Heli Flying 2 Oct 31, 2010 08:50 PM