to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Well crap ! tail on the superblueV400 stopped spinning. There is no beeps or anything, also when i start to power up if i drop stick to 0 throttle then back up again main motor wont go,it starts but if i back off then power up again it wont start ? any ideas ? Maybe ESC ?? Any tests i can do to see what it is that has stopped working ?? I was VERY lucky to land it yesterday when it went nuts a little hard landing on grass but nothing broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G3vZ...ature=youtu.be
Sorry to hear that your superblueV400 is giving you trouble. The standard issue approach is to pull the main blades off the heli and then start checking all connections. In particular, you want to check that all those very thin wires going to the tail motor are not broken right where they go into the motor. Verify that no wires are missing insultation anywhere, rubbing on sharp metal, pinched, or too tightly zip-tied. Make sure all plugs are snugly inserted into the receiver. After all of that, then start checking voltages in the motor wires, etc.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:37 AM
rubber heli skills
United States, OR, Seaside
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Well crap ! tail on the superblueV400 stopped spinning. There is no beeps or anything, also when i start to power up if i drop stick to 0 throttle then back up again main motor wont go,it starts but if i back off then power up again it wont start ? any ideas ? Maybe ESC ?? Any tests i can do to see what it is that has stopped working ?? I was VERY lucky to land it yesterday when it went nuts a little hard landing on grass but nothing broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G3vZ...ature=youtu.be
I have an issue also. Almost the same.
Yesterday i was flying one of my v400's ( all brushless ) and after a couple of minutes it acted like the battery was running low so tried to land it. About a foot from the ground the heli motors lost power. The servos still worked,but both motors would not re-spool. the battery alarm did not go off. I unplugged the heli from the battery and felt the motor and ESC. Motor real hot- ESC cool.
I then checked the battery and all was fine except the last cell was .25 volts lower than the other 2 cells.
I took the canopy off and put a newer battery ( only 5 flights on it ) and flew it again for another 2 to 3 minutes and it started to loose power again so i sat it down and the motors died again. I rebound the heli once more and it flew fo 30 seconds and started to loose power. This time when i sat it down and cut the throttle all the way down - the main motor would NOT stop running. So i hit the TH switch (which has work fine before ) and the pitch changed like it always does,but the main motor still was running. I switched it back and then gave it some throttle then shut it down again and it finally stopped. Checked the cell on this battery and it was .30 volts lower than the other cells except this time it was on the #2 cell
I have had this heli for almost a year now and it has never done this before.
Bad motor/ESC? HELP!
mdeutschman is offline Find More Posts by mdeutschman
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:46 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,977 Posts
Well, in your case it just sounds like the motor got too hot. I used to have this problem all the time with my stock brushed motor. Even with the brushless motor, I have found that when it gets warm, I have to let it cool a bit before flying again, or else weird things happen. And, remember if the magnets get too warm, they will become weaker--not good. In fastfwd's case, it sounds like there is an electrical problem somewhere in his system. I hope he finds it easily.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Sorry to hear that your superblueV400 is giving you trouble. The standard issue approach is to pull the main blades off the heli and then start checking all connections. In particular, you want to check that all those very thin wires going to the tail motor are not broken right where they go into the motor. Verify that no wires are missing insultation anywhere, rubbing on sharp metal, pinched, or too tightly zip-tied. Make sure all plugs are snugly inserted into the receiver. After all of that, then start checking voltages in the motor wires, etc.
yea im of a mind it is a loose or broken wire,i see one on the bottom of heli where the insulation is split,ill give it good going over
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
rubber heli skills
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Well, in your case it just sounds like the motor got too hot. I used to have this problem all the time with my stock brushed motor. Even with the brushless motor, I have found that when it gets warm, I have to let it cool a bit before flying again, or else weird things happen. And, remember if the magnets get too warm, they will become weaker--not good. In fastfwd's case, it sounds like there is an electrical problem somewhere in his system. I hope he finds it easily.
I will replace the motor. I have a RTF-HELI motor that came with the brushless kit and use it. Taking it all apart today thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
rubber heli skills
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Were can i find the tail esc without spending twice the amount at rtf-heli?
Will any 10A ESC work?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:52 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,977 Posts
Nope, not just any ole 10A ESC will work. I bought mine at rtf-heli because he was the only shop that carried the correct part at the time.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
V400 Pitch surging on spool-up

After cracking into the rain gutter and putting in a new set of servos, the collective "surges" with all servos rising and falling in unison as soon as it starts spinning up. If I spool up half way or so, it surges right off the ground and drops back down. The rudder holds correctly when this happens. The servos all respond right with no throttle and the motor can spin way up when I hold it by hand, but all the while, the servos are rising and falling. It is so pronounced at high throttle that it goes from pos pitch to neg. Anyone know what is wrong here? TIA, John.
hiwattheli is offline Find More Posts by hiwattheli
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
55 Posts
looking for a source for V400d02 repairs

Hello all,
I'm looking for a reference of someone in the US or Texas that can repair walkera 400d02 helicopters? I've put all new parts in my heli and have gone through all the recommendations in the forums, but I can't get it to hover or fly with stability. I have an extra set of servos and a bunch of spare parts.

I'm using the following:
2603 transmitter
brushless main and tail motors (rtf-heli.com)
metal servos (rtf-heli.com)
rchobbygear brushless converter

Thanks
jfranklyn is offline Find More Posts by jfranklyn
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
So I tried to resolve my sliding problem by re-leveling the swashplate. Now, the heli vibrates like mad as soon as it gets airborne. It's a constant "twitchy" vibration that shakes the whole heli and I am forced to land it.

Is this due to the new EXI servos I installed? I had no vibrations with these servos until I leveled swashplate, so I can't see how that can be the issue. Though I did read of people having to adjust the frequency in their transmitters to change the pulse time to the servos???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailforbrett View Post
Hello,

I have been reading this forum ever since buying my V400D02, but never had the need to post.

I just replaced my three servos with the EXI's, and now I have a need to post!

Before replacing the servos, the heli has always flown a dead-stick hover in place just fine. It has never drifted. Though I know it is normal for a heli to slide Left due to the tail rotor effect, this heli never did. It has always held a constant position, with no roll, pitch, or yaw. Now with these new servos, it constantly slides to the Left. I can trim it to bank Right to counter this, but I don't want to have to fly with trim bias way to the right all the time.

I made sure to level the swash plate, and confirm that all three servo arms are at 90 degrees with 50% input.

Am I missing something? Is there something I can set inside the DEVO 7 transmitter to fix this Left sliding tendency? Is there something on the heli that needs adjusting...gain pots, swash plate, etc?

Thanks for your help. You guys always give a huge amount of information and it made transitioning to this CP heli much easier for me.
Emailforbrett is offline Find More Posts by Emailforbrett
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwattheli View Post
After cracking into the rain gutter and putting in a new set of servos, the collective "surges" with all servos rising and falling in unison as soon as it starts spinning up. If I spool up half way or so, it surges right off the ground and drops back down. The rudder holds correctly when this happens. The servos all respond right with no throttle and the motor can spin way up when I hold it by hand, but all the while, the servos are rising and falling. It is so pronounced at high throttle that it goes from pos pitch to neg. Anyone know what is wrong here? TIA, John.
Hmmmm . . . that is a puzzle. I was going to say to check the collar on the main shaft and to check for vertical play of the main shaft, but after reading again your problem, I don't think that is the solution. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklyn View Post
Hello all,
I'm looking for a reference of someone in the US or Texas that can repair walkera 400d02 helicopters? I've put all new parts in my heli and have gone through all the recommendations in the forums, but I can't get it to hover or fly with stability. I have an extra set of servos and a bunch of spare parts.

I'm using the following:
2603 transmitter
brushless main and tail motors (rtf-heli.com)
metal servos (rtf-heli.com)
rchobbygear brushless converter

Thanks
The 2603 is a notorious PITA to set up, which is why I swtiched over to the Tx2810. But recently, I saw a post over at HF by Blayd, explaining briefly how to setup the 2603. I hope this helps:

Disconnect the motors, switch the Rx to "ADJ", then bind the heli, switch to UI1, put the collective to 50%, ( mid stick ). Your servos should be as close to 90 to the main shaft as possible. Then, check where the swash is sitting....should be somewhere near the middle of the travel distance on the main shaft. Then, check the main blades...you want 0 pitch. Work the links to try to get this. PLT adjusts the total amount of pitch travel.. like 24, 20 etc... TOTAL travel.. that means from 0% collective to 100% collective. You can adjust PLT to get your pitch max and min.. like -10 ~ +10, or less.... maybe -9 ~ +9. PIT is used to adjust pitch AT A CERTAIN POINT....in IU1, you want a linear pitch curve.. something like -10, 0, +10. In normal, you want something like -5, 0, +10. So you'd take your pitch gauge and check pitch at 0%, and use PIT knob, to adjust it to what you want. Then do the same for 50%, and 100%. You do this in both IU1, and you will set up a pitch curve in Normal as well. Don't forget, once your done setting up the heli to turn the "ADJ" switch back to "WK". Otherwise you'll be trying to fly with only a tail gyro working and not the cyclics.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailforbrett View Post
So I tried to resolve my sliding problem by re-leveling the swashplate. Now, the heli vibrates like mad as soon as it gets airborne. It's a constant "twitchy" vibration that shakes the whole heli and I am forced to land it.

Is this due to the new EXI servos I installed? I had no vibrations with these servos until I leveled swashplate, so I can't see how that can be the issue. Though I did read of people having to adjust the frequency in their transmitters to change the pulse time to the servos???
Sliding left near the ground is completely normal. Question is: does it slide left when you're, say, ten feet in the air? What I would do is make sure my swash was absolutely level at mid-stick, and then learn to compensate for the slide whilst taking off. If it slides left at altitude, then you can give it a bit of trim or go back and check your swash level throughout the collective range. Depending on how you set up your servos, the swash could easily be level at 0-stick and then be tilted at, say, 50-75% throttle, causing the heli to drift. To be completely candid, if it was a minor drift, and the heli was otherwise smoothly operating, I doubt I'd even worry about changing it.

Now, that twitchiness, is it most noticeable that the skids are jiggling in flight? Does the tail jiggle up and down, also?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeutschman View Post
Were can i find the tail esc without spending twice the amount at rtf-heli?
Will any 10A ESC work?
check hobbyking EXCEED -RC PROTON-18A
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Leuven
Joined Aug 2011
102 Posts
For the 2603 normal flight mode setup I do it like this;

Set the V1 knob on the mark( I believe this is about 60%) Lower then this will limit the servo travel and will give you wrong values when setting the pitch on the blades.
The V2 knob is useless
flip the upper/rear switch down to normal flight mode
Pitch/plt settings in the 2603TX should be somewhere like: V1=35%, V2=75%

Unplug the motors
switch to ADJmode
bind the heli
check the servo's (as close to 90 as possible at 0 throttle)
check the swashplate, level it on sight will do fine.
the swashplate links should be somewhere at 55mm so you have leverage up/down
set blades at -3 or -4 using pitch gauge at 0stick
set blades at +5 at 50% stick
set blades at +9 at 100% stick

switch back to WK mode and testfly...

No guarrantees but thats how I do it.

Greetz!
Bart Bever is offline Find More Posts by Bart Bever