HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:11 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
OK Got to get all the turn buckles back to where I had them first. Guess I was barking up the wrong tree. Once I get the swash plate all set up and level then I'll work on the pitch curve. And actually had tooooo much +, was over 12 and 0 throttle was 0 pitch.
Sounds like you're back on track there. Mechanically it's best to have 50% pitch input give you 0 degrees on the blades and equal + and - at 0% and 100%, then you can go and tame it down with your curves if you prefer to fly with less negative pitch.

Eventually if you plan to try to fly inverted you will need to fly with constant throttle and equal + and - pitch, with 0 degrees at mid stick. I also spent the first few months flying with more positive pitch and in normal mode because it felt more like the 4ch, but once i switched i couldn't go back cause i felt i had so much more control being able to push the helicopter down when i wanted to.
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
ok Dil. I'm going to take a break and eat. got the swash pretty much back to normal. Play eith pitch curve after supper. Thanks for the info.
P.S. Before I mess with the pitch curve, where should everything start with as far as the swash o throttle = 0 pitch ??? on linkup
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
to much power !

coco my friend that heli is sweet ! hovered it a little tonight, but man it is powerful ! very little throttle and up it went about ten feet ! and very touchy ill fly mine for awhile and up the travel adjustments until i get better,then fly the brush less. Every since i switched to fusonics and rotated the rx on my v400,it is all over the place ! tail spins to the right,i trim it out and get off ground but it is just all over goes left then right then forward then backward cant get it to hover. i have ailerons in rev,elev is rev,pitch is rev, and gyro is rev on the tx, any ideas ??
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
Sounds like you're back on track there. Mechanically it's best to have 50% pitch input give you 0 degrees on the blades and equal + and - at 0% and 100%, then you can go and tame it down with your curves if you prefer to fly with less negative pitch.

Eventually if you plan to try to fly inverted you will need to fly with constant throttle and equal + and - pitch, with 0 degrees at mid stick. I also spent the first few months flying with more positive pitch and in normal mode because it felt more like the 4ch, but once i switched i couldn't go back cause i felt i had so much more control being able to push the helicopter down when i wanted to.
First inverted flight is kinda out of the question for now I'll be just satisified to hover......Did you mean "Mechanically it's best to have 50% throttle input to give you 0 degrees on the blade, if not then I didn't follow, gotta run and get the grandkids a movie @ redbox so they won't drive me up the wall. I'll be back in a few and Thankx for the help,,,,,,,,,Seg
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:09 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
coco my friend that heli is sweet ! hovered it a little tonight, but man it is powerful ! very little throttle and up it went about ten feet ! and very touchy ill fly mine for awhile and up the travel adjustments until i get better,then fly the brush less. Every since i switched to fusonics and rotated the rx on my v400,it is all over the place ! tail spins to the right,i trim it out and get off ground but it is just all over goes left then right then forward then backward cant get it to hover. i have ailerons in rev,elev is rev,pitch is rev, and gyro is rev on the tx, any ideas ??
umm, only other thing i can think off the top of my head would be the tail delay knob on the rx. Try turning that up and down and see if it helps.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
umm, only other thing i can think off the top of my head would be the tail delay knob on the rx. Try turning that up and down and see if it helps.
Ok will try that, also i want to make sure i am not in adj mode not sure which switch it is number one is on and number 2 is off on my rx2614v-d. I have got my pitch now at -4 for 0 stick. 0 for mid stick. +8 for full stick.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Ok will try that, also i want to make sure i am not in adj mode not sure which switch it is number one is on and number 2 is off on my rx2614v-d. I have got my pitch now at -4 for 0 stick. 0 for mid stick. +8 for full stick.
I'm not sure about the devo rx, so i'd rather not comment because i don't want to give you bad advice, but maybe somebody with that rx can snap a pic of it in working order.

Another thing I just noticed you didn't mention in your previous post, try increasing or decreasing your gyro setting in the tx. This gyro setting refers to the tail gyro and can affect how well it holds. Just don't go below 50% because that will get you in rate mode which is a different control style.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure about the devo rx, so i'd rather not comment because i don't want to give you bad advice, but maybe somebody with that rx can snap a pic of it in working order.

Another thing I just noticed you didn't mention in your previous post, try increasing or decreasing your gyro setting in the tx. This gyro setting refers to the tail gyro and can affect how well it holds. Just don't go below 50% because that will get you in rate mode which is a different control style.
and thats another dang thing ! i go into model menu and set gear switch to gyro,after i have set gyro to manual and told it to use gear,and every time i turn off the TX when i turn it back on the gear switch under model menu is back to gear instead of gyro.. stinking devo crap ! so if i put it on auto and make position 0 at say 75% and position 1 at say 90% it will be in HH mode yes ? ohhh ill do a search as i know the adjust versus work mode thing has been covered thanks for the input.. Ohh and one more question there is a pitch rev switch (number 2) on the RX,should i put it in rev ? i have it rev in the TX.
Last edited by fastfwd; Jul 07, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:33 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
First inverted flight is kinda out of the question for now I'll be just satisified to hover......Did you mean "Mechanically it's best to have 50% throttle input to give you 0 degrees on the blade, if not then I didn't follow, gotta run and get the grandkids a movie @ redbox so they won't drive me up the wall. I'll be back in a few and Thankx for the help,,,,,,,,,Seg
Yeah, it sounds like you understood correct. (but there is a little more to it than that, depending on your tx settings, that's why i worded it a bit different)

The left hand tx stick that controls both throttle and blade pitch simultaneously in normal mode (and only blade pitch in stunt mode, with throttle constant) should be right in the middle when setting 0 degrees pitch. You know 0 pitch is set correctly when your servo horns are at 90 degrees and your blades are horizontal, or 0 degrees.

Now the reason why i worded it different is because depending on your pitch curves in your tx, mid stick might not give you 0% output. I think you have the devo, and in there you can go into the settings and it will show you what degree pitch output is given for the input you give (by input i mean where you physically place the left hand control stick). If you've been messing with pitch curves you need to watch out for this when setting your physical pitch by hand because mid stick might not give you 0% output.

Once you have the pitch set up mechanically as described above, then you can modify the end points of your pitch curve in the tx to give you less negative (say -4 degrees), and more positive (say +8 degrees) which tames things out and makes it feel a little more like a 4ch heli.

Hope that clears things up, if u have other questions let us know.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:42 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
I don't have a devo, nor will I ever have a devo....I don't think. But I believe I got it.

here's what I came up with the pitch curve
L-43
1-50
2-57.5
3-61.5
H-67.0

0 throttle = -4 deg pitch
50% throttle= +4
100% throttle= +9

I'm gonna play with it more tomorrow, getting late and these old eyes are getting
tired. Thankx for the direction pointing. clear prop---Seg
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:53 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
and thats another dang thing ! i go into model menu and set gear switch to gyro,after i have set gyro to manual and told it to use gear,and every time i turn off the TX when i turn it back on the gear switch under model menu is back to gear instead of gyro.. stinking devo crap ! so if i put it on auto and make position 0 at say 75% and position 1 at say 90% it will be in HH mode yes ? ohhh ill do a search as i know the adjust versus work mode thing has been covered thanks for the input.. Ohh and one more question there is a pitch rev switch (number 2) on the RX,should i put it in rev ? i have it rev in the TX.
i hear ya about trying to change the switches and stuff on the devo tx, i tried to change the gyro to the aux2 knob on my devo7 for the minicp and had no idea if it did it or not. I was going to figure out all those weird things about that tx and make a video for people learning 6ch helis on the devo7, cause some of the settings are odd and would make it a hard tx to learn on, but i busted the rx on my darn minicp before i had a chance. Still trying to get that fixed and if not i'll buy a new one at some point, cause i liked that little heli.

For your questions, about the pitch rev switch, if your swash is moving correctly and your fbl gyros are working, then don't reverse this switch. The rev on the tx is different than the rx. Fyi, You won't be able to hover at all if either of these things are wrong, so you'd know.

HH mode: Keep both position 1 and 0 above 50% and you are indeed in HH mode. Try keeping both 1 and 0 the same, and then change them slowly up and down to see if that helps your tail drift. Start with 75%, then go to 70, then 80, and up and down from there to see if it helps at all (without going below 50%). If you can't tell a difference and it doesn't help your tail drift i'd recommend around 75.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:10 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
I don't have a devo, nor will I ever have a devo....I don't think. But I believe I got it.

here's what I came up with the pitch curve
L-43
1-50
2-57.5
3-61.5
H-67.0

0 throttle = -4 deg pitch
50% throttle= +4
100% throttle= +9

I'm gonna play with it more tomorrow, getting late and these old eyes are getting
tired. Thankx for the direction pointing. clear prop---Seg
Sounds good, that ought to get you flying. And with the 2801 it makes it much easier to understand. If you go into your pitch curve settings and watch the graph while you change your throttle (aka, pitch) stick, you can see it move up and down. It needs to be at 50% when you set 0 degrees pitch. You can then change your curve to alter your max input and output and get the pitch settings you want.

Sounds like you got this down now though I just have a habit of saying the same thing 15 different ways, cause i know i learn best hearing things 15 different ways

hmm, i ought to hit the sack too, another habit i have is staying up too late.....
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
i hear ya about trying to change the switches and stuff on the devo tx, i tried to change the gyro to the aux2 knob on my devo7 for the minicp and had no idea if it did it or not. I was going to figure out all those weird things about that tx and make a video for people learning 6ch helis on the devo7, cause some of the settings are odd and would make it a hard tx to learn on, but i busted the rx on my darn minicp before i had a chance. Still trying to get that fixed and if not i'll buy a new one at some point, cause i liked that little heli.

For your questions, about the pitch rev switch, if your swash is moving correctly and your fbl gyros are working, then don't reverse this switch. The rev on the tx is different than the rx. Fyi, You won't be able to hover at all if either of these things are wrong, so you'd know.

HH mode: Keep both position 1 and 0 above 50% and you are indeed in HH mode. Try keeping both 1 and 0 the same, and then change them slowly up and down to see if that helps your tail drift. Start with 75%, then go to 70, then 80, and up and down from there to see if it helps at all (without going below 50%). If you can't tell a difference and it doesn't help your tail drift i'd recommend around 75.
Ok try tomorrow, put it on auto and try 80% as im at 72% right now. all but throttle and rudder on rev in tx. elev,alie,gyro,pitch all on rev.
Last edited by fastfwd; Jul 07, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:29 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,168 Posts
indoorV400

Quote:
Take it easy on the throttle and don't go crazy on it until you are familiar with tx response,it has full brushless motors and it has different attitude compared to yours.Get use to it,you are going on that direction and eventually you will have all brushless motors in you helis.Don't give too much cyclic,steady your thumb on the stick,too much cyclic movement will give it a touchy feeling.Don't fly too high for now.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x pvc quad 2
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
Take it easy on the throttle and don't go crazy on it until you are familiar with tx response,it has full brushless motors and it has different attitude compared to yours.Get use to it,you are going on that direction and eventually you will have all brushless motors in you helis.Don't give too much cyclic,steady your thumb on the stick,too much cyclic movement will give it a touchy feeling.Don't fly too high for now.
lol ok,ill be a good it runs very nice .. ill work up to it slowly as i refuse to crash it.
Last edited by fastfwd; Jul 07, 2012 at 02:46 PM.