HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
looking at the post, i'll need the rx, brushless tail esc and main esc signal converter. care to chime in penz
Yeah you would just need the tx and rx, the converter is on eBay and the tail esc can be found at rtf-heli.

The v400 is 150 new, and you going to need batteries and all the mods your looking at an additional 150...
penz83 is offline Find More Posts by penz83
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
so if i choose not to go brushless, the only necessary mods are the servos and metal tail boom. or is the brushless really necessary to give the bird a good life. for example, everyone suggest brushless for the mini cp. but i can flip and fly without it
Hey Neo, it's pretty similar to the mini cp where the brushless will give you longer life and more power than the brushed, but it's not necessary to have a great time flying it. The only mods you have to do right away will be the servos, like kdean mentioned, but other than that you should be good to go for a while at least.

Penz has his up for sale (unfortunately) but it looks like a great deal with all the upgrades and spares, you'll just need a little knowhow to get it up and running. Not sure if he still has his receiver, but if he does that'll help. I'd say first go for a second mini cp (they are sweet!) and if you want to move up to a more powerful blade chomping heli, look more into the v400 or the align 450 3gx if budget permits.

btw, i'm getting closer to finally having my super v400 up and flying
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, NE, North Platte
Joined May 2012
149 Posts
Tail mix pot

What exactly does the tail mix pot do and where should it be set? I am trying to decide if I should try and adjust this pot. Has anyone adjusted the tail mix pot?

Thanks,
trhodes is offline Find More Posts by trhodes
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:40 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,004 Posts
According to the user's manual, the Tail Mix pot controls the degree to which the tail is used to stablize the heli during flight. When I installed the main motor and tail motor brushless upgrade I turned up my tail mix pot, but I didn't notice a big difference in performance. So I decided to just leave it closer to the (+) side.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
New devo7

So the boys at Nitro Planes said my three month old devo7 was out of warranty ?
Any way i asked how much for a new one he said $168 and he also said that was crazy ! So he is sending me one out of a V400d02 RTF setup and changing it to a ARF selling it to me for $60. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick eh ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
So the boys at Nitro Planes said my three month old devo7 was out of warranty ?
Any way i asked how much for a new one he said $168 and he also said that was crazy ! So he is sending me one out of a V400d02 RTF setup and changing it to a ARF selling it to me for $60. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick eh ?
$168 is just plain ridiculous!! I paid $90 for my fs th9x and it way more capable then walkera devo stuff... But at least they realized that and are hooking you up.
penz83 is offline Find More Posts by penz83
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
the brushed main motors are powerfull enough but not good quality. You may get one that lasts 100 flights, but most will die around 40. Some will burn a diode and set the stock esc on fire after only 16 flights like one of mine did. If you stay with the brushed motor, buy a few to keep on hand.

The tail motors are a bit better with reliability. I had one die after 20 flights but most will get through 80+. When they die they dont give you much warning, and if your flying at the time, the heli will go into 'the spin of doom'.

Brushless upgrades adds to the reliability of the v400. But i also went with a 450 sized main motor to add to the power.

the tail motor failure.. sounds very scary
so they did not give any warning..? (like main motor loss of power buy still able to land if we are in mid of flight)...

to sum up..
v400 weakness is.. brushed main and tail motor.. weak tailboom support, weak servo, i think thats all
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
When the first tail motor died on me, as was about 2 feet off the ground getting ready to land. With no warning the heli just started to spin to the left, fast and out of control. Some guys report a quick and sudden twitch, maybe a moment of tail hold loss, then a few seconds of control again. It may happen two or three times before the motor just dies. The only way to stop a 'spin of doom' is to hit throttle hold. Then you still have to try auto-rotate the heli as best you can.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2012
149 Posts
Bad main gear

Guys,

I am almost certain that my tail wag is due to the main gear. The thing is very warped. I have played around with "bending" it and get the v400 stable as all get out. I have one on order. When I get it I will see how true the new one is. I will keep playing with it. I flew two packs this morning. The wag isn't much anymore. My v400 is flying well and I am having a blast. I need to get more battery packs. Any advice on where to get 1500 to 1800 reasonably priced packs?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,004 Posts
When you install the new main gear, remember not to tighten it too much. Over tightening the main gear onto the shaft can cause warping of the gear. Use threadlock on the nut and make the bolt just reasonably tight, and then let the threadlock completely cure (24 hours).
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2012
149 Posts
Maybe that is what happened to the gear. I will see when I take it off. It certainly may be overtightened. I am really enjoying the v400. I don't know what mods to do next. I have the fusonic servos, the brushless mods, tail boom support, super skids, and the fusuno canopy. What blades are folks using?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
What motor are you using? If your running a 450 sized motor (or 400 size), you can safely use up to 325mm blades. I was using 335mm at one point and they make the V400 very stable and smooth, but they can get dangerously close to the tips of the tail blades. EXI CF PRO 3D (white) 325mm are the blades I normaly use (as long as they stay "in stock"). They are cheap but good.

If your using a 300 sized motor, It might be better to not go over the 315mm, or stick with the stock 290mm.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,324 Posts
I love this v400 and im loving lunch time flying, its been great but the office stuff can kiss it, lol im back out in the field in 2 days , i cant wait, as for lunch time flying , i may keep that part of my day . after my last flight i had noticed a screw missing from the tail brace rod at the lower frame , so i will repair that asap and be back flying in no time!
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined May 2012
149 Posts
I am with you Biggie!! I love my v400 minus the intermittent tail wag. This forum has been a great place to come form advice and answers to questions. I am getting excited about my 450 clone build. I wouldn't have even thought about a build until getting the v400. It sure is a confidence building.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,305 Posts
Building up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhodes View Post
I am with you Biggie!! I love my v400 minus the intermittent tail wag. This forum has been a great place to come form advice and answers to questions. I am getting excited about my 450 clone build. I wouldn't have even thought about a build until getting the v400. It sure is a confidence building.
Have your wallet ready,after the 450.... comes the 500.... 550...then the 600...and the 700 maybe.Take your time my friend and have fun
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CO2X2010; Jun 13, 2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: more