SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penz83 View Post
I decided to sell my v400, moving on to bigger models. My add is in classifieds
I guess you never got the zyx to work?
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Yeah, it does need alot'o mods, but all helis in the 400+ size range usually have things that could be better. It will fly great out of the box, but most of the parts are very delicate and not good for beginer flying. I know the mini cp can hit the ground and keep on going, but not the v400 (or any 400+ size heli). The upgrading can come as you go, and i found it great for introducing me to the 'tinkering' & 'modding' side of the hobby. I love my v400's, i still have 3 of them, and even though i've moved on to bigger 450, 500, and 600 size helis, i still fly the v400 more than the rest. This is partly due to its reliability after the modding is done.
well since your experienced with all of those, should i skip the 400 and go bigger. i like to go big, and I was looking at the v500d01 vs the v400d02. but i have a devo 7. and i plan on sticking with it.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:41 PM
San Jose, CA
penz83's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
any negatives you want to share about the v400
It just needs a lot of mods, mechanically it's ok but all the stock brushed stuff needs to go
penz83 is offline Find More Posts by penz83
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penz83 View Post
It just needs a lot of mods, mechanically it's ok but all the stock brushed stuff needs to go
how many is a lot. the mini cp needs about 4 to 5. thats a lot to me. is that what you mean, 4 to 5. or like 15 (smh). do you have a mod link.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
well since your experienced with all of those, should i skip the 400 and go bigger. i like to go big, and I was looking at the v500d01 vs the v400d02. but i have a devo 7. and i plan on sticking with it.

The problem i find with bigger walkera helis is the price and availability of parts. Their V450 is a very nice heli, thought the canopy is ugly, but the parts are so expensive compared to trex clone 450 parts. Same with the V500. So what i did was get a 450pro clone frame and put a walkera 2702v rx in it. At first I had all walkera elecs from the v450 in my clone, but soon found that walkera servo issues went beyond the soft gears in the stock v400 servos.

I've been haveing alot of success with 2702v rx's in all my clone helis. There is a thread here that has all my experience, and others who have done this walkera clone mix. I'll post the link in a sec.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
San Jose, CA
penz83's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I guess you never got the zyx to work?
No I have not been successful with getting it working properly, and I also realize the performance of a dd motor driven tail will never match a belt/gear driven tail. I can use all my radio gear and the zyx in the 450 clone I plan to build

The v400 was a good learning experience but it's time to move on unfortunately. I have put enough time and money into it and I will now focus on other things like my x666 quad that is awesome!! And a 450 clone in the future.
penz83 is offline Find More Posts by penz83
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
San Jose, CA
penz83's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
how many is a lot. the mini cp needs about 4 to 5. thats a lot to me. is that what you mean, 4 to 5. or like 15 (smh). do you have a mod link.
It just needs a brushless makeover, main and tail, and servos, the rest is pretty solid. Check out my v400 for sale, just needs a few things to be up and running.
penz83 is offline Find More Posts by penz83
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
money to update ?????

Thats right folks ! in order to get the update on your devo7 you have to buy an adapter $37.00. i just bought an usb adapter to use the TX on my clearview sim. But ohh noooo that wont work it has to be the SPECIAL adapter !! they can kiss my rebel arse !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penz83 View Post
It just needs a brushless makeover, main and tail, and servos, the rest is pretty solid. Check out my v400 for sale, just needs a few things to be up and running.
im not one for used products, never have been, but shoot me a link. i'll def check it out. what does it need to be up and running.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
San Jose, CA
penz83's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
im not one for used products, never have been, but shoot me a link. i'll def check it out. what does it need to be up and running.
Here is the link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1670295
penz83 is offline Find More Posts by penz83
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Here is the other thread

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473111

v400 upgrade list

servos (fusonics are good for devo rx, hitecs 5055 best for old rx)

metal tail boom support (rtf-heli.com)

brushless main motor conversion (rtf-heli sells a kit, or you can build your own. If you go with build your own then you can pick a bigger more powerfull motor and you should get the signal convertor from rchobbygear+ on ebay. It will allow you to bypass the stock esc and toss it once you get the brushless tail mod)

brushless tail mod

those are the 3 main mods needed if you have a devo tx. If you get the 2603tx version, you will want to get a 2801 pro tx.

Other small mods that dont really have to be done are...

315mm to 325mm main blades

bigger battery packs (1800mah - 2200mah)

blade 400 swash

coco made some thick aluminum lower frames (4ever frames) great stuff

I made some cf upper frames and a cf tail boom, and posted a diy blog on my page.

Fusuno canopy

and after all that you will have a superV400.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:21 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penz83 View Post
this may be the deal for you. If you have a devo tx already. You will only need the devo rx (wow hobbies around $60). All the major expensive mod would be done for you.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Here is the other thread

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473111

v400 upgrade list

servos (fusonics are good for devo rx, hitecs 5055 best for old rx)

metal tail boom support (rtf-heli.com)

brushless main motor conversion (rtf-heli sells a kit, or you can build your own. If you go with build your own then you can pick a bigger more powerfull motor and you should get the signal convertor from rchobbygear+ on ebay. It will allow you to bypass the stock esc and toss it once you get the brushless tail mod)

brushless tail mod

those are the 3 main mods needed if you have a devo tx. If you get the 2603tx version, you will want to get a 2801 pro tx.
so if i choose not to go brushless, the only necessary mods are the servos and metal tail boom. or is the brushless really necessary to give the bird a good life. for example, everyone suggest brushless for the mini cp. but i can flip and fly without it
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:26 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
this may be the deal for you. If you have a devo tx already. You will only need the devo rx (wow hobbies around $60). All the major expensive mod would be done for you.
looking at the post, i'll need the rx, brushless tail esc and main esc signal converter. care to chime in penz
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
BahamaHeli
kdean's Avatar
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
so if i choose not to go brushless, the only necessary mods are the servos and metal tail boom. or is the brushless really necessary to give the bird a good life. for example, everyone suggest brushless for the mini cp. but i can flip and fly without it
the brushed main motors are powerfull enough but not good quality. You may get one that lasts 100 flights, but most will die around 40. Some will burn a diode and set the stock esc on fire after only 16 flights like one of mine did. If you stay with the brushed motor, buy a few to keep on hand.

The tail motors are a bit better with reliability. I had one die after 20 flights but most will get through 80+. When they die they dont give you much warning, and if your flying at the time, the heli will go into 'the spin of doom'.

Brushless upgrades adds to the reliability of the v400. But i also went with a 450 sized main motor to add to the power.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Another new Walkera (V400D02)? GetterDragun Micro Helis 130 Apr 01, 2013 09:23 AM
Discussion Alternative canopies for Walkera V200D02, V400D02 JumboA5 Mini Helis 2 Mar 18, 2011 04:29 AM
Question Transport devices for 2x Walkera V400D02 & 2x Walkera V200D02 JumboA5 Electric Heli Talk 2 Dec 13, 2010 08:22 AM
Discussion Walkera new 3D flybarless V400D02 Naev 3D Electric Heli Flying 2 Oct 31, 2010 08:50 PM