SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2012, 10:15 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,971 Posts
+1

Yep, give it just enough throttle stick to barely move the main blades--you may or may not hear the two beeps signaling that the tail motor has initialized. Before spooling up, give it just a bit of nose-right to see the tail motor spool. After that, you're golden.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 11:00 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Haha ! Exactly what happened two days ago only i got smart with the madhawk 300, same thing got it coming at me to fast took a dive for the ground and it hit my house
Well sounds like i'm not alone on this... Actually it sounds like a lot of us started our heli careers with a crash

Nav, My first crash was also in my garage when I hit the st switch without knowing what it did and then panicked not knowing why my heli was shooting across the garage
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old May 03, 2012, 11:07 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,971 Posts
Yeah, I did that one too. Bird did the chicken dance all over the garage before I got the switch turned off again. And, I had no clue what kind of damage that could have caused to any number of parts on the bird--I was such a newbie that I didn't have any idea how to spot broken parts on the V400D02, like stripped servos and separated swashplate, and the like.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old May 03, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
new servos

Seems walkera must have got tired of the bad reviews they have came out with these now for the V400.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-v450d01...ervos-3-1.aspx.

Putting the old V400 back together no damn wonder it wouldn't fly. i had tightened one of the main swash arms and it wasn't moving.(the very side that kept servo glitching) also the upper frame is twisted, its good taking it all apart and putting back together as i am learning so many many things i did wrong LOL.So ordering new upper frame,and more POS plastic parts to hold upper to the bottom.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old May 03, 2012, 12:58 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,675 Posts
Wk 09 09 servos are not the answer. I had a set and they would tend to burn out, one in flight, another on the bench. The last striped its gears in a crash. Was not a good investment.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old May 03, 2012, 01:57 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Seems walkera must have got tired of the bad reviews they have came out with these now for the V400.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-v450d01...ervos-3-1.aspx.

Putting the old V400 back together no damn wonder it wouldn't fly. i had tightened one of the main swash arms and it wasn't moving.(the very side that kept servo glitching) also the upper frame is twisted, its good taking it all apart and putting back together as i am learning so many many things i did wrong LOL.So ordering new upper frame,and more POS plastic parts to hold upper to the bottom.
I have mine all apart also and I haven't even flown it (newbie). Though I am learning a lot of how it tics. I was adjusting the swash and broke off some of the ball links trying to remove them (bad idea). So new swash is on its way and I just received my brushless tail motor today so while it's down I'll put that on.
You may want to order a double pair of upper frames and sandwitch them together, I read somewhere peeps doing it to strengthen the upper frame, if you do that you may have to find a little longer screws (not sure) but it makes sense.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old May 03, 2012, 02:03 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Breaking my heart !! Hate seeing a beauty in pieces I to did a little hard landing today, big gust of wind and it headed for the house.felt real mushy trying to get it to swing back right and had to drop it to grass,broke both main mounts( why they made those out of stinking plastic !) the front mount is also the motor mount,had extra parts from old v400 and got it going hovered it twice after that.
you know my parts place is www.Heli-Heli.com those boys ship FAST and only $5.95 small parts shipping.Going to rebuild old v400 so got new POS plastic tail boom and main(motor mount) coming. ya done good saving yours from total wipe out !going to get he brush-less setup,and brush less tail.use the metal tail boom support and cocs super frame. Got a friend that is a machinist will see if he can make the motor (frame mount) out of aluminum and get the hitec 5055 servos.should be fun to build !

Hey FF I went to Heli-Heli.com but didn't find any v400d02 part. were you takling about 450 parts?
Old May 03, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
Breaking my heart !! Hate seeing a beauty in pieces I to did a little hard landing today, big gust of wind and it headed for the house.felt real mushy trying to get it to swing back right and had to drop it to grass,broke both main mounts( why they made those out of stinking plastic !) the front mount is also the motor mount,had extra parts from old v400 and got it going hovered it twice after that.
you know my parts place is www.Heli-Heli.com those boys ship FAST and only $5.95 small parts shipping.Going to rebuild old v400 so got new POS plastic tail boom and main(motor mount) coming. ya done good saving yours from total wipe out !going to get he brush-less setup,and brush less tail.use the metal tail boom support and cocs super frame. Got a friend that is a machinist will see if he can make the motor (frame mount) out of aluminum and get the hitec 5055 servos.should be fun to build !

Hey FF I went to Heli-Heli.com but didn't find any v400d02 part. were you takling about 450 parts?
They have them they are here.. http://heli-heli.com/items/heli-part...00d02/list.htm
Old May 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
old v400

Put the old v00 together new servos,all leveled out,pitch is good and it fly's like a big piece of fresh cow poop ! LOL im sure it is the rx . going to just buy another walkera BNF .use the parts off this one for extras. heres is a pic of an idea im working on for the front plastic main motor mount.Its just a ruff one but you get the idea...
Last edited by fastfwd; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 05:40 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
I was checking out the price of this bird recently and am amazed at how much the price has gone up! I paid about $130 for mine over ayear ago.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 06:04 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,675 Posts
Thats why i'm keeping one new in the box. It will be worth millions someday....
Old May 03, 2012, 07:42 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
hey guys need a little help....
Putting on a brushless tail motor from RTF-Heli.
hooked up the male JST from brushed speed controller (from tail motor) to the JST female connector coming from the Walkera V400d02 Speed controller and the motor won't ignite.
So does the male JST (from the motor) go onto the brushless speed controller ???
or does it have to hook up to the Brushed to Brushless converter ???
And why would the speed controller on the tail brushless motor have a brushed walkera speed controller ???Yes, not all bruashless kits are made the same. We made our main brushless kit to work with the DD
Brushless tail kit we sell since we assemble and test each unit, to be working before shipping out to you. Our brushless Main Kit has a JST Power plug to power the DD Brushless Kit. Since you didn't get the kit from us, you will most likely need a special "Y" adapter (JST to two 3.5mm Banana connectors) to power the brushless DD Tail Kit.
($6.99) + shipping/handling. What's your paypal e-mail account so we can invoice you?

here's RTF's reply
"Yes, not all bruashless kits are made the same. We made our main brushless kit to work with the DD
Brushless tail kit we sell since we assemble and test each unit, to be working before shipping out to you. Our brushless Main Kit has a JST Power plug to power the DD Brushless Kit. Since you didn't get the kit from us, you will most likely need a special "Y" adapter (JST to two 3.5mm Banana connectors) to power the brushless DD Tail Kit.
($6.99) + shipping/handling. What's your paypal e-mail account so we can invoice you?
Last edited by segdohbird; May 03, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:41 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,675 Posts
Birdman, I think you have it hooked up wrong.

The esc that came with the tail kit does not need to be pluged into the stock esc. You will need to get power to the bl tail esc via the jst connection. You will need a split from the battery conection on the stock esc and brushless main esc that will power the stock esc, bl main esc, and the tail esc. You will no longer need the jst connection for the tail motor comeing out of the stock esc.

The signal wire from the tail esc goes to the rudder port on the rx.

And the 3 motor wires go to the bl tail motor.

I dont know what your main motor situation is, brushed or brushless, but i recomend getting the ebay signal convertor $20 that will allow you to get rid of the stock esc.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
which servo is which

Riddle me this.. looking at v400 heli from tail.Is the servo on left alie or pitch ? thanks ! Ohhh got my 48 inch carbon fiber tube. 8mm od 6mm id. going to make a nice tail boom ! would a tube cutter cut this ??
Old May 03, 2012, 10:22 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,675 Posts
The elev and aile servos are on the same side of the heli. Pitch is the one on the side by itself.

I dont know what a pipe/tube cutter is. But any rotary cutting tool should work. Even a hack saw should be good.