SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
So far I have had nothing but fun with this heli! Simple cheap and a great option for getting into the hobby. I'm using a 2810 pro Tx and haven't had any broken parts after about 45 flights.. Pretty good for being my first Rc anything
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
So far I have had nothing but fun with this heli! Simple cheap and a great option for getting into the hobby. I'm using a 2810 pro Tx and haven't had any broken parts after about 45 flights.. Pretty good for being my first Rc anything
Love to hear it.....
This gives me hope.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
I have a few more battery's on the way. Going to try some 1800ma 25c. I get about 7min of flight time to use the recommended 80% off the 1200ma 15c. Since I can't fly 3d I don't mind the extra weight. Only thing that kinda annoys me is the way the battery slides in it's a pain to secure.. May look at getting some velcro straps.
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:53 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
I have a few more battery's on the way. Going to try some 1800ma 25c. I get about 7min of flight time to use the recommended 80% off the 1200ma 15c. Since I can't fly 3d I don't mind the extra weight. Only thing that kinda annoys me is the way the battery slides in it's a pain to secure.. May look at getting some velcro straps.

I have a hard time with the battery.

I think it only slides in from the front, that we have to take the canopy off to do that. And to get the CG right, the battery has to sit at the very front, more or less sticking out of the holder.

It is very difficult to push the battery connector all the way in on the stock battery. It would be super hard to pull it out too if it is fully in.

If you find a more convenient way , please update us.

Thanks.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Hi guys, I have three V400's so far no flight time. Like kdean, I've bought almost as much in parts as the cost of all three birds. ( Maybe more) So far, I've had to replace two tail boom holders, the upgrades from RTF heli just came today, so I'll be redoing them again this weekend. Hint: If you have to fix the boom or the holder, do yourself a favor, dont put the wires back through the boom, use micro zips and run the wire along the boom, it will make it easier if you need to do another repair on the boom, the tail motor, or the tail boom holder. I desoldered the wires for the tail boom holder repair I had to do, and will have to again to install the upgraded boom holder support. I made my own on/off switch, its easy enough. I'm having issues with fitting different batteries in the cage, its tight.. in fact, I bought 6 Storm 1300's, and 6 Blue 1800's, the Storms just barely fit, (scraping the yellow off from the plastic wrapper..LOL) and the zip ties holding the ESC in place interfere with the batteries, so I'll be modding the way its attached. I was wondering about the batt placement too. I did the same thing to find CG. I used a similar metal hanger I had. I didnt see the link to the Tx set up, what site is that at please? I really need to redo the first V400's Tx, The first of my V400's I think, is totally out of whack, vibrates, and looks as though, without a single flight, is going to become a parts-O-copter. The second cracked the tail boom holder and it hasnt been hovered yet either. Both just spooled up a bunch of times to check tracking and vibration. On another site, I realized that all the replacement servos I've looked at so far, will have an issue with the top screw hilding the front servo.. the canopy rod is right up against this screw, so it might need some work to make it fit. Glad to see some info on these.. I have three so I can use all the help I can get.
Blayd is offline Find More Posts by Blayd
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post

I think it only slides in from the front, that we have to take the canopy off to do that. And to get the CG right, the battery has to sit at the very front, more or less sticking out of the holder.

It is very difficult to push the battery connector all the way in on the stock battery. It would be super hard to pull it out too if it is fully in.

Thanks.
I am thinking of taking out the canopy posts and attaching velcro to make it easier to take off. Did that mod with a 9053 and it works much better and easier.

Still waiting for a suitable replacement servo. RTF-HELi said a few weeks ago that they were testing one that looked good and should be available end of this month. Hope so.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post

Thanks.
For some reason, these battery connectors will not fit a standard banana connector on my other Lipos (Blue). Also, the contacts are reverse, so that issue needs to be addressed.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:12 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
For some reason, these battery connectors will not fit a standard banana connector on my other Lipos (Blue). Also, the contacts are reverse, so that issue needs to be addressed.
I guess there is no standard way then. Watch out and don't blow up the RX/ESC.

BTW, when I said it's hard to push the connector in and pull it out. It actually is quite easy to go in and out with any one of the two pins. The separation between the two pins could be different on the two sides making it difficult to insert both.

I am thinking about replacing the connectors with T-plugs. However I don't want to disturb its new look yet. It is still a long wait for summer here before I would take it out for some beating.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:50 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Dec 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Douglas View Post
With a heli that has a fly-bar you use the flybar to balance the heli, this V400 has no flybar so we need a way to get the CG set so it flys good.

Here is a pic of one with a flybar as you can se its level.

JD

Single rotor helis are balanced on the mainshaft. You can use the flybar as long as you can hold it perpendicular to the roll axis of the heli. An easy quick trick is to put a rod , wire or one of those old triangular engineering rulers under and across the skids directly under the rotorshaft and see which way it tips. It should just want to tip forward. Slight pitch forward balance is preferably for flying where forward flight in the norm. Neutral is preferable for aerobatics.

The boom on these is very long, designed I believe to accommodate 325mm mainblades rather than the 290mm blades supplied. You can buy 325mm blades much cheaper than the stock blades although the stock blades look pretty good.
60Something is offline Find More Posts by 60Something
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:36 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Yeah,single rotor helis should balance at the mainshaft,so just spread the blades and pick it up by them.One hand with two fingers under each side.Doesn't have to be complicated.Just pick it up and see which end drops.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Something View Post
...You can buy 325mm blades much cheaper than the stock blades although the stock blades look pretty good.
Yes, they look so good that I want to keep them.

I'll order 325mm blades for crashing.

I am still waiting for the Canadian winter to end. We don't have too much snow this year. Perhaps it would come earlier.

Meanwhile I'll see if I can make use its RX on my EP-100 clone to fly indoors. I've programed a signalling converter for the throttle and rudder, but there are a lot of connectors to solder. Getting there soon.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:58 AM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
my balancer

This is what i use.
ccowboyearl is offline Find More Posts by ccowboyearl
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:05 AM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Jailbreak.avi (3 min 4 sec)

JD
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:46 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
First one is here...

Got my firts V400 tonight. Two more on the way...

This thing is a sexy beast. Im not even gunna fly it until the others get here. (if i can hold out for that long).

Alot smaller that i imagined. It feels so delicate, im afraid to touch it.

Im going to take a good look at it when i get sometime this week, but right now i'm gunna put it on display.

Still waiting for the spare parts and tools to get here. Then i can start to get her ready for its first flight.

Im keeping the box incase it has a factory default and i have to send it back.

Customs and stamp tax really hit me hard though. My initial investment will almost double after "the man" sticks it to me...

Happy flying

kdean
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Feb 01, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Got my firts V400 tonight. Two more on the way...

This thing is a sexy beast. Im not even gunna fly it until the others get here. (if i can hold out for that long).

Alot smaller that i imagined. It feels so delicate, im afraid to touch it.

Im going to take a good look at it when i get sometime this week, but right now i'm gunna put it on display.

Still waiting for the spare parts and tools to get here. Then i can start to get her ready for its first flight.

Im keeping the box incase it has a factory default and i have to send it back.

Customs and stamp tax really hit me hard though. My initial investment will almost double after "the man" sticks it to me...

Happy flying

kdean
Good for you that it finally came in. Yes, it is hard to keep from flying them. I have hovered mine several times and it is nothing like the 9053.

I am thinking about ordering a 2nd one as I would like to reprogram the transmitter as it is much more sensitive than I like at this time. If I screw it up, I will then have a 2nd transmitter to have as a reference if I want to get it back to factory settings since I understand there is no factory default programming.

Also been flying the heck out of Heli-x sim. Have over 25 hours flight time logged since I got it last Wednesday and it is a blast as it is very realistic. I have been flying the TREX 600 6s, as it seemed to me to be the closest to the V400, but not quite as stable in a hover, which is ok, need the practice.

Have Fun!

SpadCat