HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Here is the link to the page,

I will post a blog about the instalation of the Hitec servos. I ended up doing a little extra moding to get them right. They are not the "drop in replacements" I was hopeing they would be. But, they are a little eaiser to install than the Turnigys.

kdean
Kdean? I have the HS5055mg's in my heli and they were virtually effortless to install. What modding did you have to do? I just used a vise pin drill bit and was done in about 45 minutes. I am interested what mods you had to do. I'll take some pics of my install also for comparison... Maybe we did it differently?
rustyh17 is offline Find More Posts by rustyh17
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:57 AM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
spadcat2000

Can you show a pic of how you have the 2200 mounted?
Thanks,
Earl
ccowboyearl is offline Find More Posts by ccowboyearl
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:06 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Warning

The strangest thing just happend. I was going to fly my #3 in the park during my lunch break, and when I went to start it up, the esc caught on fire....

Everything is stock as far as motor and battery. I do have the turnigy servos installed but that should not effect the esc. I took the heli out of the case, rest it on the path way, pluged in the battery, got the normal beeps and lights from the rx and tx, checked the cyclic control, steped back and added some throttle. The rotors started and then, white smoke came from the esc, and I no longer had control of the throttle. The blades were still spinning so I could not get to the battery to unplug it. There was a moment of panic as the smoke was followed by flames shooting out of the esc. I was about to step on the thing so that it could not take-off. When the blades did stop, I unpluged the battery and inspected the situation.

The motor leads from the esc were fried. In fact they came right off as I was looking for the origen of the fire. This heli has only had 16 flights and I did no tampering with the electronics. When I get home I'll take a closer look at everthing, but Im afraid this might happen with my other V400.

I have a feeling that a motor lead in the esc came lose and touched the other side, or maybe there is another faulty connection in the esc.

Please be warned........

kdean
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Apr 06, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:09 PM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
WOW, kdean

Sorry, about the esc. I hope it didn't damage it too much. Now it sounds like my belt. I had to upgrade the esc and gyro on it and a dx6i before it would fly worth a sh&&. Looks like more money for upgrades. I'm really considering just spending the extra $$$$ and getting the 450D01.
ccowboyearl is offline Find More Posts by ccowboyearl
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:57 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,226 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

There is a BEC inside the ESC which supply 5V to all the servos and RX. I wonder if that was the one on fire.

However the power MOSFETs are more likely the ones broken down when the motor leads were short-circuited.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Last edited by Wasp09; Apr 06, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:40 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowboyearl View Post
Can you show a pic of how you have the 2200 mounted?
Thanks,
Earl
It fits firmly, but not overly so and will not slide around during flight. You will have to cut the zip ties and use a different method or place for the ESC.

Kdean, sorry for your problem. Definitely a short in the esc or motor or associated wiring. I had this happen in a crash of a fixed wing foamy. Kinda scary as there are You Tube vids of Lipos blowing up.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Apr 06, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Bird down! Darn, not again...
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace
Old Apr 07, 2011, 01:50 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Well i took the esc apart, and the area directly around the main motor leads has burnt beyond recognition. I also noticed that the little black capacitors that were on the motor are gone. No signs of them burning off, its like they just disapeared. Im not sure if, maybe they fell off and caused the event, but i cant find them in the case that the heli has been sitting in for about a week. Or, maybe they dissinegrated.

I'll post some pics soon so you can see the damage, and maybe tell my why or how this happend.

I put the motor from #1, that now has the brushless, in #3. And i was tempted to take #2 out of its box and use the esc from it. But until I have a better idea of what happend, i dont want to risk another burn out. I'm about to put a huge order in from wowhobbies, including my 2801 pro rx, so i'll just add an esc to the cart.

Im now thinking about getting my 450 clone project started. But still not ready to give up on the V400. I've been in touch with the great Mannuel Campose, about upgrading the V400, and he's going to take a look at it to see the possibilites of makeing it hard core 3D capable. He has already told me to skip the v400 and go with the v450, but I explaind my love for the v400 and the hope that as my skills get better my heli should also be able to "get better". The perfect begginers heli that can be upgraded to perform as the pilots demands increase.

N E way, i'll post some stuff tomorrow, and if you have any ideas please let me know. Im gunna send walkera an email about the situation, maybe they know what happend

kdean
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:34 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Pics of burn out

Here is a look at the damage...
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Looks like my main frame is bent beyond repair this time so a another parts order is definitely in order. Can't believe there was no damage to any of the electronics from this crash as it went down pretty hard, and I still haven't broken the main blades yet! The new Super Skids I installed from the last crash are junk now and will have to be replaced too.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:06 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Here is a look at the damage...
There should be a diode sitting on top of the motor. It looks like only 2 leads are left now. The diode protects the ESC from high back EMF.

Did you see the top of motor on fire first? If not probably you lost your diode before that. It could lead to a breakdown of other stuff inside the ESC later on.

Do the two leads left over touch the motor case? If they do, it would short circuit the ESC.

The CEB8030L is a 30V 75A N-MOSFET in case you need to replace any.

The other stuff that may blow would be the high speed diodes.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Last edited by Wasp09; Apr 08, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:39 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
It must be a bad time to fly the v400. I had another miss-happ today. This time with my #1. I was going to test the hitec servos and set up my pitch for the 325mm blades, when I add throttle, the new brushless motor would not respond correctly. It would take almost half stick to get started, then would fluxuate fast - slow, slow - fast. But not give enough throttle to lift-off. The tail rotor would be going at full speed, and the main blades not setteling on a throttle speed. I pushed it a little to far, trying to get it in the air when, it spun to its side a did a little break dancing on the ground. I managed to break the tail rotor blade in half, and also popped the swash into two parts.

After takeing of the blades and doing some tests, i found that you cannot tape the signal convertor for the brushless to the side of the rx. I found out the hard way.

After moving it away from the rx the throttle control was back to normal. Once again, if I had a spare tail rotor in my case i could have got some air time, but I did not pack any spare parts...

Has anyone had the swash pop on them, put it back together, and have it fail in flight? I just put it back together and used the pliers to make sure it was tight. I do have one extra swash, but dont want to use it if this one will still work.

Brushless owners: upon start up the motor is jumpy at first. Its like, jerk, jerk, jerk, start.... Is this normal? That jerky start causes the blades to become off center, and when it starts the whiping of the blades cause a violent twist of the heli. Is ther a way to avoid or terminate the jerky start?

Kdean
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
This crash is the 2nd time my swash has popped and I will be squeezing it together again for another go. As long as it goes together snug you should still be in good shape as high loads are not normally placed on it. Otherwise they wouldn't use such small servos with plastic gears.

On the blade issue I noticed when I tightened mine to about medium tension things smoothed out quite a bit on startups.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:08 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Yes, I was using the old 9053 loose blade technique for the V400 and it would always violently blade whip no matter how careful I added collective, but then decided to tighten the blades, and now startup is smooth as silk.

I tried different tightnesses, and then found on the other forum there is a technique to test for proper tightness, but I found it just as easy to tighten until the blades have some resistance, but not too much worked just as well.

Probably some oscillators interfering with each other in the receiver and the signal converter. I am sure wasp90 can tell us exactly what is happening. Love reading his posts on the electronics for our birds.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:30 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
I can never understand all that tech talk, but it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I got #1 back in shape and ready for a test flight tomorrow at lunch time. As far as a blade tightness test, if i have a problems tomorrow, i'll throw the heli as far as i can, if the blades stay straight, i'll know they are too tight.

I hope everything works, or i'm gunna start my 450 clone.
Last edited by kdean; Apr 08, 2011 at 01:37 AM.