Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:29 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I just got a message that HK has new US warehouse. Does anyone know anything about this?
I know 'bout this but ,they don't have much stuff available.When you go online ,click on the right side that says USA WAREHOUSE and it will show what items are available.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CO2X 4X4 Rev.02
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
When i was 9 or 10 years old I got my first taste of the rc world when my friend got a tyco turbo hopper. That was the first time i saw any rc vechicle in action. I soon had a super turbo hopper 4wd and love the heck out of it. Them my cousin got a tamyia frog from his older brother, (also my cousin), and the super turbo hopper could not compete with that so i went and bought a tamyia super saber 4wd, the first rc kit i put together by myself, even painted the body myself. I could only afford a cheap radio that had the range of about my arm length. It took alot of hits due to loss of signal, and the plastic parts had more glue holding it together that the weight of the car. I later bought a kyosho optima from my older cousin and still had to use that cheapo remote, so after i broke some axel parts and found i would have to order the replacements from china, i sold it to buy hockey equipment. I was the best goal tender in my neighbourhood, and wanted to try out for the pee-wee leauge.

That was about 26 years ago. They make these things so durable these days, with cf and cnc, i wish my buggies were strong enough to last, i would probly still have them today. I did the slot car thing when i was 12 or so, but the track moved and i was stuck with the car and controler and no where to race it. Getting into helis or planes back then was only for rich kids, i know i could not afford it, so i never even thought about it. Then i moved to the Bahamas with my Dad when i was about 13 and my focus went from toys to musical instruments. I got my first drumset then and never looked back. I now have 5 drum sets, one I got when i was in college in Canada and it still lives in my Moms house.

Helis is going to be my last "thing" that i'll get into that destracts me from the day to day. If my son gets a rc truck or car, yeah i'll get two of'em so we can race, but thats it. I cant afford to get obsessed with upgrading anything else.
I remember the Frog very well. I always wanted the Tamiya Grasshopper, but my tight parents bought me a Nikko Black Fox instead. Looking back, it was a pos.

Man, looking back, you were lucky if you could get 25mph out of those Mabuchi 540 brushed motors, but with todays brushless tech' 70-80mph is easily achieved.

Things have certainly progressed for the better.

I only really got into rc trucks again last December, but lost interest around September this year.

I sincerely hope that I don't lose interest in heli's so soon.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:30 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
I know 'bout this but ,they don't have much stuff available.When you go online ,click on the right side that says USA WAREHOUSE and it will show what items are available.
Now that I have selected US warehouse, that is all I get when I go there. I got mine for $130 ordered OCT 14, received NOV 2. Shipping was $44.

From the US warehouse HK-600GT = 148.45 and shipping = $15.57 from USPS. This is probably one week vs. two weeks. It appears they might be marking US warehouse items up maybe 10 percent or so. But then I suspected there was some mark up on shipping from Hong Kong.

EDIT: I figured out how to go back to the Hong Kong warehouse and price is $129.99. Haven't checked shipping but assuming it is same or higher at ~$44. I suppose there has to be some mark up to get it here.

Interesting

Thanks - Jack
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:27 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,073 Posts
Mark up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Now that I have selected US warehouse, that is all I get when I go there. I got mine for $130 ordered OCT 14, received NOV 2. Shipping was $44.

From the US warehouse HK-600GT = 148.45 and shipping = $15.57 from USPS. This is probably one week vs. two weeks. It appears they might be marking US warehouse items up maybe 10 percent or so. But then I suspected there was some mark up on shipping from Hong Kong.

EDIT: I figured out how to go back to the Hong Kong warehouse and price is $129.99. Haven't checked shipping but assuming it is same or higher at ~$44. I suppose there has to be some mark up to get it here.

Interesting

Thanks - Jack
For me ,if I want it fast,I have to get my item from a US Seller. In business,they will always get you somewhere.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CO2X 4X4 Rev.02
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:25 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
I remember the Frog very well. I always wanted the Tamiya Grasshopper, but my tight parents bought me a Nikko Black Fox instead. Looking back, it was a pos.

Man, looking back, you were lucky if you could get 25mph out of those Mabuchi 540 brushed motors, but with todays brushless tech' 70-80mph is easily achieved.

Things have certainly progressed for the better.

I only really got into rc trucks again last December, but lost interest around September this year.

I sincerely hope that I don't lose interest in heli's so soon.
those are some nice trucks you have there. I doubt you will lose interest in helis anytime soon though. I like the trucks but I get bored with these types of things easily. The thing with helis is there is always more to learn and something to fix. Flying is challenging enough, but add in rebuilding and modifying, and it really gets involved. I don't see myself getting out of this hobby any time soon

when i was a kid from as young as I can remember I had a rc truck that my dad got me. Once I was a little older I got the tyco fast traxx, which i thought was just the fastest thing in the world..... Once that one was all busted up eventually i ended up getting a Richochet that had big wheels and could drive on either side. After a bunch of times tossing it on the roof and driving around until it fell off the roof, i finally managed to bust that one too. After that i was getting older and didn't get any more for about 15 years until I got my traxxas last year. I'm glad i have that truck, but I couldn't see myself getting into trucks in the way i've gotten into helis. I do remember being a kid and seeing somebody flying a big rc heli (maybe 500 size), and every since i had wanted one but could never afford them until recently. I remember in high school after i got a job waiting tables, I went to a hobby shop with about 200 bucks only to find the helis were closer to 1000
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,101 Posts
I had a blackfoot, with a grave digger body! Ah the grave digger lol. Oh well its been raining for 2 days hear and i got the itch. I may have to hover the v120 in the living room, i just got 2 new 800 mah batteries from rtf for it. Charging now.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
4Th flight, 1st accident.
No damage to the heli, but I managed to shatter the connector that interconnects the four rods on my training gear.
It was sheer stupidity that caused this, in that I was out flying this morning in 30mph gusts which were making the heli fly up and down real fast. Is this normal of CP?
Don't know if any of you are from England, but the weather here has been felling trees and causing allsorts of damage today, so it was a real stupid thing to do. I just thought i'd test my skills but I certainly aren't up to hovering in those conditions. I wont ever try in those conditions again.

Anyway, the weather has now settled here. I replaced the training gear and took it out around 30 mins ago and hovered the full pack.

I'm thinking about having a play with my expo as i'm finding that this heli only requires very small cyclic input to hover. Does expo just take effect with cyclic, or does it also apply to the throttle/rudder too?

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:08 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Glad to hear that the damage was minor. I don't live in England; I'm in Southern California, near Los Angeles. Every year we get the Santa Ana winds, which can gust hard enough to dump over trucks on the freeway. Anyway, I have learned to check the swaying of the leaves on the trees before putting up the heli. If the leaves are moving more than I think I can handle, then I just put away the V400 and then go fly the CB100 indoors.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,101 Posts
That sucks , take it easy ! But i live by my weatherbug app. I know they have a website also. But this heli does much better in the wind than my v120. Depending on the gusts yes the heli will react with up or down pumps. I try to only fly under 10 mph.

Quote:
No damage to the heli, but I managed to shatter the connector that interconnects the four rods on my training gear.
It was sheer stupidity that caused this, in that I was out flying this morning in 30mph gusts which were making the heli fly up and down real fast. Is this normal of CP?
Don't know if any of you are from England, but the weather here has been felling trees and causing allsorts of damage today, so it was a real stupid thing to do. I just thought i'd test my skills but I certainly aren't up to hovering in those conditions. I wont ever try in those conditions again.

Anyway, the weather has now settled here. I replaced the training gear and took it out around 30 mins ago and hovered the full pack.

I'm thinking about having a play with my expo as i'm finding that this heli only requires very small cyclic input to hover. Does expo just take effect with cyclic, or does it also apply to the throttle/rudder too?

Thanks
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Glad to hear that the damage was minor. I don't live in England; I'm in Southern California, near Los Angeles. Every year we get the Santa Ana winds, which can gust hard enough to dump over trucks on the freeway. Anyway, I have learned to check the swaying of the leaves on the trees before putting up the heli. If the leaves are moving more than I think I can handle, then I just put away the V400 and then go fly the CB100 indoors.
Roger that.

I also look at the trees branches for an indication of the wind when I was about to go out with the cb100 or 4#6. I wouldn't even take those out if there was the slightest movement.

Earlier today, well yesterday actually, the actual tree trunks were bending where they were around 6in thick so you can probably guess how windy it was.

Anyway, i'll just stick to calm weather and have fun for now.

Can't wait to start modding this.. I was thinking about buying the rtf heli brushless main conversion, but feel there are probably better options out there if I buy the parts individually.

Can you, or anyone else suggest the parts to convert to a pretty much flawless b/l setup, please?

Regards,

Damian
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:27 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Well, all the links to my parts have since changed, and I don't have time right now to search, but the parts I used are:

450 Brushless Motor for Esky's Belt CP and 450 RC Helicopter (EK5-0006) $14.90 HobbyPartz

30A Brushless ESC Speed Controller [Volcano Series] $13.80 HobbyPartz

Signal Convertor ($19.88) WowHobbies

2.3mm 15t - 0.4 mod Screw On Pinion $5.99 RTF-Heli

If you search earlier in this thread, you'll find other options being used by other members.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
damo, i pretty much set up my brushless system based on kdean's conversion and pictures around page 55 to 60 in this thread. He did a good job at showing the pictures, diagram, and part list that he used. I recall having a few questions, but all were addressed by around page 70 or 80. This should help you get started, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are quite a few of us that have done this conversion, and things have been fine tuned since then, but those pages should help get you started. oh, and about hovering in the wind, i've done the same. I was hovering ok with one of my 450's in 25mph winds (with a severe weather advisory for wind gusts) until i looked down to check my timer and then i hit a tree... since then i keep to winds 15mph or below, which still create a challenge, but at least that's a doable challenge
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
30mph What kind of a bloke would be givng it a go in that kind of wind.
Jolly good save though.
Cheerio
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:06 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
navigator,
That kit that your going to built is FBL? Your going to love it. Its like your V400d but better tail.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:06 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,605 Posts
DIY brushless main.

The most important part of the brushless conversion is the signal convertor. I also got mine from wowhobbies, but can be found in a few places. Heliheli has a nice list of upgrade parts for the v400. On the other side of the pond, you may need to look around a bit.

The motor, esc, and pinion, is realy a personal choice. When looking for a motor, it must be less than 29mm diam to fit and not get in the way of the elevator arm. Try to keep the kv around 3000kv for a 400 sized motor and 4000kv for 380 sized motors. (i've got a exceed alpha 400 with 3500kv and its very powerful).

Once you pick your motor, you will then know how big of an esc you will need. In the specs for the motor it will tell you the max amps it can handel, normaly around 20a to 30a. The esc will need to be about 5a to 10a higher than the motors max amps. I also found that the signal convertor likes bigger esc amps. I'm using an exceed 40a esc and the motor is only rated at 25a, but everything runs cool and I get no throttle glitching with this setup.

The motor will also dictate the pinion shaft size you will have to look for. Most 400 sized motors have 3mm/3.17mm shafts. 380 sized motors have 2.3mm shafts. You will find this info in the motor specs. Important - when your looking for a pinion to fit your motor shaft, you also have to look for the right t and mod. 15t or 16t with a 0.4 mod/64 pitch pinion gear with the right bore (hole to fit the shaft size of the motor). On road rc cars often use this pinion size and mod, so look for those sites. I got a robinson racing 3.17mm bour, 16t / 64p pinion from tower hobbies.

You will also have to make a y split for your battery, or splice the brushed esc and brushless esc power leads together leaving one battery connection.

I hope this helps, i know you might want something more 'point and click' with links and pics, but your location may not allow you to get the american retailers items. And finding items nearer to your location will save you a bunch on shipping.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean