SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
I was going to say when led is flashing, its serching for signal and when its solid its connected. But its probable when you turn the gyro knob to the left far enough, it goes into rate mode and not Head Hold. Thats when the light starts flashing but I'm not sure.
Thanks mate. Anyone else got anything to add about this? The Led is either fully on or off depending upon the location of the knobs.

On a different note;
Do the stock tail motors just use copper whiskers for brushes, like the notoriously short lived 5#6, 5g6, Lama 2 motors?

The motors on the above birds never had carbon brushes, and instead used these terrible copper brushes that would blacken and normally fail within 20-30 flights.

If the v400 tail motor is like these, then breaking them in for longevity is pointless.

There is also a mod out there to convert all of these notoriously junk motors to use proper carbon brushes.

The main motor iirc uses carbon brushes so breaking in would help prolong its life.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:20 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure thats what it is. If you turn V1 knob to the left it rate mode and LED is off. If you turn it from center to the right its head hold and the light turns on. I run mine at 75% Head Hold.

The V400d tail motor has brushes. I didn't know they made motors with copper brushes. So its copper to copper wearing together? Thats about as cheap as it gets. I'm suprised they last 20 flights.

The V400d tail motor it not that bad because the first tail motor in mine had 200+ flights on it and was still working fine. I just chaged it because I found a couple in my spares box and thought it would be a good idea.
The main motor is the one with the short life.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
Once i added the mg servos it seemed to be off. So then i had to start loading my batteries from the front, i use to load from the back...my batteries are sticking out the front alot!

Quote:
Hi Heli Biggie, sorry to hear about that but there has to be something else going on to make those tail motors go out so quick.
I was also going to ask you why you had to add weight to the canopy to balance your heli. Could you post a picture of where you battery is mounted? I just can't understand why yours would be different than mine
I'll take a picture of mine to compare. I don't know, does everybody have to add weight to the nose?
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Quote:
COG with GensAce 1550 25c batteries.
This is exactly how mine looks, too. I also load the GensAce 1550 25c batteries into the front. All my brushless Y-connection and signal converter stuff is located in the rear of the cage.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,252 Posts
Wk-wst-10a-t esc

WK-WST-10A-T Esc for the V400D02 tail mod is ON STOCK NOW AT HeliDirect.com, Nov. 11, 2011
As of NOV.18,2011-This ESC IS OUT OF STOCK
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CO2X2010; Nov 19, 2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: OUT OF STOCK
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
This week has been a tough one for me. The good thing is i'm getting gigs again to help with my funds, but my time to work with the helis is short.

I was supposed to work on the 450pro tail section swap to get at least one of them flying. The wind has also detered me from putting a rush on the fix. It looks like, while the weather stays this windy day after day, the only heli that will fly comfortably is the 500.

Another thing is that tomorrow is the wifes birthday, i dont know how she will respond when i tell her i'm going to the field. With the time change its dark by 6 o'clock, so i was planning to take her for dinner or something 'romantic' that women like to dress up for.

I'll see how i feel after my gig tonight and if i have the energy, i'll spend some time on the bench so i can take a 450 with me tomorrow. If the wind would just go away i could take v400#2, i miss her....
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:47 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
I miss my 400 also. But at least i had my 450 today . My dad flew my coaxial in the house ,lol,and i showed him the power of the 450 in his field.now my backyard feels so small.the 400 Parts are coming asap from heliheli.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:42 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
I added 18 more lights to my tail boom on my free spirit. Makes it really easy to see at night.
night fly (0 min 30 sec)

Light are from xheli.com , they are having a sale till midnight. 11% off
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:05 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I added 18 more lights to my tail boom on my free spirit. Makes it really easy to see at night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ADe...e_gdata_player
Light are from xheli.com , they are having a sale till midnight. 11% off
Ha ha, thats great. Is it hard to land?
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,132 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just and update I have been working on the Fleebay Bird for the last two weeks and have finally given up. The brushless motor wont get the bird off the ground, so yesterday I s*it canned the whole brushless set up and threw it in the bin. Put a standard motor back in it today, and powered it up this arvo and still no lift. This bird is going to god as I have had an absolute gut full of the previous owners set up. Back to the 9053 at least I can enjoy some time in the air. Anyone wants to buy some parts PM me before it goes under my car wheels. The Brand New Bird I bought off Fleebay gives me some kinda hope as it actually flies....note to self....dont buy one second hand... off now to crack a beer.

Cheers
Trelos
Trelos05 is offline Find More Posts by Trelos05
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:11 AM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Leuven
Joined Aug 2011
102 Posts
Hi all!
Nice day in Belgium, a peep of sun and almost no wind!

I flew 5 packs and was never so happy as today. Comfortable setting found at last on my 2603TX!

Small 'but'... For no clear reason I broke a EXI servo horn, second time allready and now I have to open another spare EXI servo. Soon I will have 10 new EXI's without horn!
Some say you can order them seperatly but no one has them in stock. So I ordered a lot of universal servo horns for 2$ at random places and expect them here in a few days. I hope there will be something usefull in it.
Are the HITEC 5055 mg servo horns sold seperatly? If so it would be a reason to put in these more expensive ones because they will pay back themselves in horns...

Aother watchout: 1 side of the tailmotor is showing black dust near the whole, I believe this one will go out one of these days but the motor is still running smooth without probs..
40 flights of 10min. non agressive flying on that one.

Charging now and flying again tonight!

Greetz!
Bart Bever is offline Find More Posts by Bart Bever
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelos05 View Post
Hi Guys,

Just and update I have been working on the Fleebay Bird for the last two weeks and have finally given up. The brushless motor wont get the bird off the ground, so yesterday I s*it canned the whole brushless set up and threw it in the bin. Put a standard motor back in it today, and powered it up this arvo and still no lift. This bird is going to god as I have had an absolute gut full of the previous owners set up. Back to the 9053 at least I can enjoy some time in the air. Anyone wants to buy some parts PM me before it goes under my car wheels. The Brand New Bird I bought off Fleebay gives me some kinda hope as it actually flies....note to self....dont buy one second hand... off now to crack a beer.

Cheers
Trelos
Too bad you're still having trouble, i think that's a good lesson for all of us not to buy these second hand unless you either know who is selling it or are ok if it doesn't work right. Have you had any air time with your brand new one at least?

I have finally re-opened my v400 to see if i can fix it once and for all. It's been out of commission for a long time now while i've been working on and flying my 450's. The v400 is back on the bench now though, and I have new servos (fusonic) and new main bearing blocks to put in it. Hopefully i'll get to it sometime this week, and I hope even more that this works.

Bart, glad to hear you're finally getting some good flight time in!!
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,252 Posts
V400 Tail motor black dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Bever View Post
Hi all!
Nice day in Belgium, a peep of sun and almost no wind!

I flew 5 packs and was never so happy as today. Comfortable setting found at last on my 2603TX!

Small 'but'... For no clear reason I broke a EXI servo horn, second time allready and now I have to open another spare EXI servo. Soon I will have 10 new EXI's without horn!
Some say you can order them seperatly but no one has them in stock. So I ordered a lot of universal servo horns for 2$ at random places and expect them here in a few days. I hope there will be something usefull in it.
Are the HITEC 5055 mg servo horns sold seperatly? If so it would be a reason to put in these more expensive ones because they will pay back themselves in horns...

Aother watchout: 1 side of the tailmotor is showing black dust near the whole, I believe this one will go out one of these days but the motor is still running smooth without probs..
40 flights of 10min. non agressive flying on that one.

Charging now and flying again tonight!

Greetz!
Black dust on motors are one of the signs that it will quit anytime and hopefully,it will not quit on you when you're up there. Depending on how many flights you have on it,to be safe put a new one on it to have a peace of mind when you're up there and it will save you alot of $$$ on damages if it gonna fail on med-flight.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Co2x tesla one
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
40 flights ,! Change it now , before the glitch of death.
My parts are out for delivery today ! Yehaw.

Yo coco,
lets see some test flying with tail mod . If u still have sucess, i may try again 1 day.
My problem might have been the red wire that we cut off speed controler i spliced into the orange wire. Im guessing u did not do this.??

Yes bart the 5055 have a seperate horn kit you can buy.

Good luck dil . Hows the 120 coming.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Hey Heli B, the 120 has been sitting on the shelf waiting on parts for a little while now. The last time i flew it I smashed it into the wrought iron fence surrounding my veggie garden in my back yard. I pulled the plug on a huge heli order not too long ago that hopefully had enough parts to get all my helis up and flying including that one. I haven't gotten around to the v120 yet, but that'll hit the bench after the v400 is done.

I've also been sidetracked with an old trex 450 that my co worker bought about 10 years ago and gave up on before he ever really learned how to fly. He put it down after a crash, so i've been working to get that flying again for him, and take it out to the field to show him what it can do and hopefully get him back into it. It's been a real pain in the __ so far though.

I like your helicopter with the lights, especially since it gets dark so freaking early now (for those of us on this side of the equator..) It looks like you have pretty good control over it even in the dark. What kind of heli is that, coaxial, 4ch, or full 6ch? Also i cant remember, was that you or barnstorm that lost a heli up in the tree at night about a month ago?
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto