HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_aJKIN60TOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry about this, I'm trying to embed a vid....

V400D02 w / 325mm Main Blades.mp4 (8 min 52 sec)

thats better....
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:59 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
cnc upgrade parts

Hey Guys,

I just put in a suggestion at KDEdirect, a company that makes upgrade cnc parts for rc helis. I mentioned the tail/servo mount, and all the upper frame mounting parts. I told them that this heli is sold out at most major dealers, and that they could make "alot-o-money". We'll see what comes of it.

maybe if we ALL post this suggestion they will listen???

Here is the link

http://www.kdedirect.com/IdeaSubmission.html

Now, if I could find a company to make a CF tail fin/motor holder....

kdean
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:20 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
CF tail fin / motor mount

OK. Found a company that makes CF parts for rc helis, RC Carbon.com.
Again I made a request for the V400s' tail fin to be made in CF.

Here is the link
http://www.rc-carbon.com/contact_us.php

If we all request it, maybe they will make it....

kdean
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Good idea. Will contact companies as requested.

Thanks for the vid. Your flying is quite good and fun to watch. After my bad experience years ago with a 4 ch fp, I never thought I would get back into flying a heli, let alone a 6ch cp. Great machine to learn on once modified and actually, all one needs are less than $9.00 worth of servos, and a $25.00 tail boom brace and, that is not really needed, as I had a couple of FF and many hovering flights with just a heavy duty tyrap locking the boom in place after breaking the rear mount. This was when I was waiting for the defective RTF parts to be replaced.

By the way, I think I might of found a DIGITAL ALL metal geared servo that may require little or NO modification including NO reversing and is less than $27.00 for 3, shipped. It is supposed to be equivalent to the Hitec hs-5055 which cost around $20.00 ea and require just drilling a small hole in the V400 mounting bracket. If this proves to be true when they come in, I will let everyone know.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:34 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
thanx spad,

RC Carbon has already replied and said they are willing to try, and asked me to send some drawings of the part. I think it would be better to buy one and have it shipped to them.

The search for the perfect servo continues........

I hope Dave gets his walkeras to work.

kdean
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Actually, I would be willing to send them one of my repaired tail motor holders, this way they could see first hand the weak point.

Yes, I hope Dave hangs in there as it can be really frustrating, especially if one is new to the RC hobby in general.

Ah yes, the perfect servo....I will not my hold breath. If the ones I found are THE ONEs, that would be great, but if not, no big deal to mod them.

SpadCat
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Well, the "All Metal" digital servos are just like the EXI's with a plastic lower gear. Thought it was too good to be true. That's ok, EXI's are good. Our other LHS, not the Walkera dealer, carries Hitec and I will pick up hs-5055's for Heli #1 (they also are an Align dealer). Heck, the TPRO 9's have proven to be quite durable. I have not stripped one in over 3-4 weeks, and actually, I haven't broken anything except the rear motor holder in that time. V400#2 has been solid as a rock the last several weeks except for last Sunday when I decided to fool with the settings. Hopefully that is a sign I am getting better at flying.

Flew a standard pack FF this morning before work. A little breezy, but had a good time. Flew at a lower altitude and orientation is much easier. Part of the trick is just not worrying about where the ground is. I have found that while a lot of hover practice is good, it just does not compare to FF. While I have over 60 flights, only 7 are FF, it is still a lot of fun to just get out in the backyard and hover around.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
116 Posts
Stereolithography -- 3D Parts Printer

Guys, I know this sounds nuts, but I bought a 3D printer. I will be able to print ABS plastic parts with this printer and my associated SolidWorks software. So, anyone who wants to try modified heli parts, we can collectively give it a shot and can use this forum to learn from each other.

I should have the printer at my offices with 2 weeks and printing parts within 3 weeks. If you can think of ANYTHING you want to try to develop that is not currently well served by Walkera or the aftermarket, we should try it with 3D printing.

Lastly, my thought is to develop the part with 3D printing and then move to traditional plastic molds based on perceived volumes. But even if the volumes never materialize, one could just decide to "print the part you need" one at a time.
rustyh17 is offline Find More Posts by rustyh17
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:00 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
Upgrade Parts Requests

Here are the replies I got from the two places I asked about makeing upgrade partz for the V400.

RC CARBON (re:Tail Fin/Motor Holder)

hi!

we can try to do that. did you can sent me the drawings ( dxf or dwg) or samples of this parts.

regards
Sergey

KDE DIRECT - CNC parts
(re:Tail Boom/Servo mount, Motor mount, Main Shaft and Bearing mount, Swash Holder,)

Hey Dean,

Thanks for checking in with us and the idea submission. In all honesty, I have not seen or flown a Walker V400D02, but I’ll look into it and discuss the list of concepts you have with the development team. Right now, we are swamped with new projects for various helicopters, but I will make sure we take a good look at this design. If we come out with anything in reference to this helicopter, I’ll make sure you are notified at the earliest release so you can get the upgrades.

Thanks again for supporting the KDE Direct brand!

Patrick
Owner, KDE Direct

Also, procrasher, from this forum, is able to make custom main shafts. He produces 'stay true' shafts for the V120/4G6 helis, and wow hobbies sells them as upgrade parts. I have not yet heard or read about a V400 main shaft bending from a crash, but he can make them without the cut away for the stabalizer, allowing the adjustment of the swash throw. (fixing the 'swash strike' problem that wow says is a major complaint) I think I posted about this earlier in this thread.

Spad, I was thinking about either sending the cracked tail fin that i still have on #1, or buy one a have it shipped to RC Carbon. The problem is it will take about a month for the cracked one to get to them if I send it, and everyone is sold out of tail fins. If you can send them one, that would be most awesome.

Russ, can you explain the 3D printer, and what the process is for us to make custom parts????? I dont think I fully understand what its all about.

EVERYONE,
If you have not yet sent a request to KDE DIRECT, please take the time to do so. The more of us that make a request the more likely they will give the project the go ahead......

I've been packing my #1 in my trunk for the past few days and not been able to fly. This has been a very full week for me, ending with a trip to Spanish Wells, a small island / fishing community north of Elthera, this weekend. I'm (was) planning on takeing a heli, but there is a cold front comming in on Friday, and bringing some high winds. No flying for the whole week, what a drag.....

I should be getting my mini cam (to go on heli), camera shades (to go on face), black and yellow 325mm blades (to match canopy), and adaptors (to use 2200 and 1800mah batteries) tomorrow. I would have loved to take this stuff to the island and get some nice footage to share with you guys, but the "wind gods" are not in favor. expecting 20mph + gusts Friday and Saturday.

Anyway, lets work on getting some upgrade parts made for this sexy little heli.

Go Team.....
Last edited by kdean; Mar 30, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 05:21 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,652 Posts
I got everything i orderd today. Im glad to say that it only took two weeks.

I've now have another set of 325mm blades, 2 sets of 290mm foam laminant blades, extra swash, adaptors for the batteries (i still need to reverse the banana conections so still no 1800 and 2200mah action), mini cam, sunglass cam (the plastic lense is messed up and cant see through clearley, but the cam works, and i can take the lense off and maybe find a replacement), and best of all.... The brushless system from RTF.

I've already installed it in my #1 and despite the chance of bad weather, i'm taking it on my trip this weekend. If I cant get outside i can at least hover around the hotel room. If my drill and soldering iron could fit in my bag i would install the 5055 servos and the metal tail support during my down time.

Questions,
Can you remove and re-use the banana connectors from a blue lipo battery? Or, do i need to order some new ones?

Should i be rotating the brushless motor by hand? Why does it feel so stiff?

Should I put a drop of 3in1 lube on the brushless motor bearing? Or will i destroy it?

With the blades off while testing the brushless system, at full throttle the rpm would drop.... Is this normal?

Ok, gatta go pack my bags now. The boat leaves at 8.

Kdean
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:42 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Depends if the plugs were soldered or crimped as far as re-use. Brushless motors are normally a lot stiffer to turn by hand. Would not put oil on a new motor bearing yet. As for the RPM drop this might be from the motor being unloaded and/or an ECU thing.
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:08 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyh17 View Post
Guys, I know this sounds nuts, but I bought a 3D printer. I will be able to print ABS plastic parts with this printer and my associated SolidWorks software. So, anyone who wants to try modified heli parts, we can collectively give it a shot and can use this forum to learn from each other.

I should have the printer at my offices with 2 weeks and printing parts within 3 weeks. If you can think of ANYTHING you want to try to develop that is not currently well served by Walkera or the aftermarket, we should try it with 3D printing.

Lastly, my thought is to develop the part with 3D printing and then move to traditional plastic molds based on perceived volumes. But even if the volumes never materialize, one could just decide to "print the part you need" one at a time.

Would you have a 3D scanner as well? Scan the original, modify and print. That will be great.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:14 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
...Can you remove and re-use the banana connectors from a blue lipo battery? Or, do i need to order some new ones?...
I always cut the plastic cover open before soldering the connectors off. The metal connectors can be reused but not the plastics. I replace them all with T-plugs.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Last edited by Wasp09; Apr 01, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Would you have a 3D scanner as well? Scan the original, modify and print. That will be great.
No, haven't bought a 3D scanner (yet). We draw all the parts from scratch on Solidworks. We use calipers and protractors and what not. If anyone wants to make a mod to a part, we can try it pretty easily.

I am pretty excited about the possibilities here...
rustyh17 is offline Find More Posts by rustyh17
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:52 AM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
questions for pros

kdean, where did you get your 325 blades for $8.00 and what was the brand and number? spadcat, where did you get your 1300 mah batteries that you said were smaller than stock and what was the brand and number?
Thanks,
Earl
ccowboyearl is offline Find More Posts by ccowboyearl