HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:31 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Here is a vid of #3 flying. You cant really see the wobble as it was not as bad on this day. It got worse after I tracked the blades.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BahamaHe.../1/LGNC2m3ci2g

I think there is too much pitch on the blades, I throttle up to about 40% and it is ready to lift-off. My #1 gets up to 50% + throttle before it wants to lift-off.

I also tighten the blades, could this be a cause of wobble?

kdean
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Mar 20, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:02 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
Enjoyed watching your vid. It was cool hearing the birds in the background singing, while your bird was humming and loved the girl's accent.

My #2 is about the same with the throttle percentage for take off as your #1 and feels about right for me. I did have too much pitch last week, and it would make the brushless pulsate and get very hot. I think that is hilo69's problem as his is doing the same thing, but he has not replied yet to my post to confirm.

I think the blades should be just loose enough to fall on their own, from what I understand, and don't know what would cause a wobble, but, to quote someone else on these boards...."I am just an experienced beginner" .

I have been flying so much, that I have lost count. Went though 6 or 7 packs today, 3 of which were the 2200mas for some very long flights. It was very gusty this morning and a lot of fun, then became calm later in afternoon and that allowed me to fine tune the trims for virtually hands free flying. While hovering, I even had time to take either hand off the sticks to scratch my nose.

I solved my tail rotor surge. The blade was split, so I replaced it with a new one and the surging went away. These things are so much more sensitive to something being not quite right then fixed wing aircraft. It will make me into a perfectionist yet!!

With so many flights now, have you thought about lubrication? I remember seeing a post on the 9053 thread, but can't track one down with the search button.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Mar 20, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:02 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Hey Spad,

How do you afford so much time to fly? I can get through 2 1200mah packs in a half hour, taking a little break in between flights. 6 -7 batteries is a long time. I have to sneek a flight or two in, here and there throught the week.

As far as lube, I've been using 3in1 on the motors, swash, and bearings. I try to lube the main motors after 3-4 flights. Just a drop at a time. Seems to be keeping things smooth and quiet. No more motor squeeling.....

I'm about get a brushless from rtf, how do you like it? Any problems with the set up and instalation?

I'm also thinking about putting a 40A esc and a 3950rpm motor in one of V400s. I think this might cause problems with the tail holding. We'll see..........

kdean
Last edited by kdean; Mar 20, 2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
You guys are making me jealous with all the flight talk! I only get a couple flights in a week if that.

Did find a place to get a 3.5mm banana plug to change on the Blue Lipo packs. Costs about $5 including shipping from China. Will try and post the link later.
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
Well, I do not have two kids at home (3 grand kids which I have quite often) a day job and a night job as you have. My job is high stress, but very rarely more than 8 eights hours a day (and many times less) and have weekends off (sometimes a little home work on the computer). I come home for lunch for as long as I want and fly a pack almost every day then, plus to top it all off, I have a very understanding wife that always has allowed me a lot of freedom to do what I want, that most my friends and brothers do not have. One of the many reasons I married her.

I have used 3 in 1 every so often, but will switch to silicone based lube as it does not attract dirt as easily.

The 6 or 7 flights yesterday were during 5 different flight times, not all at once.

SpadCat
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
Happy With Brushless

I have had the brushless on so long, I don't remember what the brushed was like, but I do know the first flights were very satisfying as it does not seem to work as hard and does not get as hot. They are not as temp sensitive due to that lack of brushes and create less heat. I finally timed the stock 1200ma packs and am getting 8m50s hovering and several climbs to altitude. It was pretty gusty, so I was working it a lot and in calm conditions may get more time. I really like the CF blades and feel they contribute to the long flight times. This is the longest time and most flights I have had without having some kind of problem, whether pilot error or hardware breakdown. I have loctited everything which I should have done in the beginning.

Did you see the post that AFSarge over in the other forum about the airframe he found from Guru.com that he thinks the mechanics of the V400 should fit? I took the Align 450 clone airframe back to the LHS as it was just too much work to get to work with the V400. I decided to get the V450, but if I can get a suitable airframe for the V400, I would like to transfer V400#1 to it.

http://www.guru-z.com/catalog/GA3-FF.php

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Mar 20, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:00 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Count down to brushless conversion

3 weeks until the brushless set-up from rtf will arrive.

My servos, bigger blades, and batteries will be here tomorrow.

Todds models really up set me when they confirm my order for the adaptors, but when the package arrives, an item is missing. And on the reciept they then say out of stock. If they had let me know when they packed and shipped the box that an item would not be included, i could have ordered it from somewhere else.

So, i wont be able to use my new 1800 & 2200mah batteries.

And, I cant wait to teach my son how to "scoot" and then hover and fly his S107.

oh yeah, changed the gear in #3 and the wobble is gone, but I now have to properly set up the swash, pit, and plt.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Try here for the battery plug, just ordered mine here.

http://www.ampmodel.com/rc-accessori...lv588o28ukh6u0
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalace View Post
Try here for the battery plug, just ordered mine here.

http://www.ampmodel.com/rc-accessori...lv588o28ukh6u0
Thanx, I orderd a set of 10 (4.0mm) HTX connection from somewhere else. But they wont be here for at least 3 weeks.

In stead of changing the conections on the batteries, I gunna change the esc connection. (and the 3 walkera batteries i already have). I dont want to be soldering connections on every battery I buy in the future.

I like the 3.5mm to 4.0mm adaptors but cant find any in stock anywhere.

kdean
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
3 weeks until the brushless set-up from rtf will arrive.

My servos, bigger blades, and batteries will be here tomorrow.

Todds models really up set me when they confirm my order for the adaptors, but when the package arrives, an item is missing. And on the reciept they then say out of stock. If they had let me know when they packed and shipped the box that an item would not be included, i could have ordered it from somewhere else.

So, i wont be able to use my new 1800 & 2200mah batteries.

And, I cant wait to teach my son how to "scoot" and then hover and fly his S107.

oh yeah, changed the gear in #3 and the wobble is gone, but I now have to properly set up the swash, pit, and plt.
Kdean,

Sorry for the Todds models reference. I had never done biz with them before, only knew that they listed the 3.5-to-4mm m/f connectors that you were looking for. It is unfortunate that companies like that get judged on their performance on one small parts order, but hey, that is what they do. Note to small parts companies: "Remember that a $3.00 part is just as important as a $60 part when it comes to turning on the Tx/Rx switch and pushing up with your left thumb!"
rustyh17 is offline Find More Posts by rustyh17
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
kdean, let me know what you think of the longer blades when you get them in and what length you ordered.

Ordered an Argon frame and an Esky Lama scale body for V400#1. That frame looks like it has the right dimensions and if it works, I will order another one and get rid of the stock frames. Also want one V400 to be scale and the other for 3D (if if ever get good enough), but it is not a driving passion for me to 3D as I have fixed wings I do that with and they are a heck of a lot more durable. Although, you never know, I might someday just want to hit that switch for the heck of it.

Just got done flying and winds are over 15mph with gust to ? and what a blast that was. This heli really can handle some gusty conditions with no problem. Lotsa fun!

SpadCat
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:39 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
No problem Russ,

I sent Todds' an email of concern and there has been no response.

Good news is, I was able to find them at Toysonic. Lets see if they send everything, and not let me down.

And your right, a 50 cent bolt can be the difference between flying or crying.

Spad, The blades are 325mm EXI cf in white. I also orderd some foam laminant blades (i think 275mm, same as stock) to see how they perform. They help to save the head and grips in a crash, and now that im using metal gear servos, I dont want to be replacing $40 heads after every crash.

The wind are 15mph + high gusts for past two days. I dont see the fun in flying in wind. maybe, its all the fixed wing experience you have, but my throttle control still needs work. Its hard to keep the heli down when the wind picks up. Then, when the gusts pass, its hard to keep the heli from hitting the ground. I found that flying the volitation is really good practice for throttle control.

I'm back to hovering in the living room for now

kdean
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:46 AM
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
I think the longer blades I had were 325, but they are fiberglass. If you like the CF, I might try that length again in CF. I know that the CF blades are far more durable, because just after I bought them, I had some problem that caused me to hit the ground with the blades and it sent a small rock into the fence like a bullet. It only put a small chip in the one blade, but would have shattered the FG blades. The chip is so small that I could not detect a difference in the blades on my balancer.

We fly 8 oz 3D foamies in 15+ winds quite often. It is a real challenge, plus when we fly next on a calm day, it is sooo good. When we do crash, if there is any damage, we just apply a little Welders glue, and launch...the glue will dry in the air. We have had an entire nose ripped off and 15 minutes later had it back in the air like nothing happened. They are also quite addictive.

SpadCat
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Got my new batteries, that i cant uses thanks to 'todds models'. My new hitech servos, and EXI 3d pro 325mm blades. Oh, yeah... and my wife is back.

Could not wait to try the blades, so I put them on my #3 and moved the couch.

It would spool up nice, to a point, then wobble violently and the tail would swing to the left. After doing some investigation, I found that my pit and plt setting needed to be changed. There was way to much travel on the pitch servo, and at 50% throttle the pitch was already up to +10 degrees. I've been experimenting with the settings and dont think i was saveing the setting correctly. (ent,off,ent,ext) or something like that...

Anyway spring is here and the winds did calm down today. I'm gunna track the blades tonight, and pack her up in the case to fly at lunch time tomorrow.

Next project, put hitech servos in my #1 and save those stock servos for my #2 (which is still very new at only 3 flights).

About the substitute frame, It looks really nice, but I kinda like the V400 frame. The frame on my #3, when I got it, was bent after a crash. I just bent it back. The real problem in the little plastic parts that break easy. (tail boom mount). I like the carbon fiber frames but if it breaks you cant bend it back. If a company would take the time to produce some quality after-market upgrade parts for this heli, I'm sure they would make 'alot o money'. They do it for the 4G6 and V120d02. CNC and CF upgrade parts will be welcome for the V400. For example, a metal tail boom mount, Carbon Fiber Tail Fin/motor mount, Titanium Boom. A few small improvement is all it really needs. Remember, it was made to fly, not bounce.

kdean
Last edited by kdean; Mar 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:44 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
325mm blades

So, I put on the 325mm blades, fixed my PIT & PLT, checked the tracking, and the blades are balanced. When the heli gets just about ready to takeoff it starts to vibrate and spin clock wise. Then when I cut the throttle it wants to continue bouncing and spinning clock wise. I've tried adjusting the tail mix on the rx (full +, full -, and 50/50), I 've tried adjusting the rudder mix in the tx (50%, 100%, 0%) nothing stops it from happening. I take off the 325mm and put on the stock 290mm and everything is fine.

Is it a weight issue? Do I need to use a bigger heavy battery? Is see chippi on youtube flying with the 325mm blades.

What am I doing wrong?