HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:27 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyh17 View Post
SpadCat,

boom brace? is that the rtf-heli thing they sell for V400?

canopy repair/durable? care to share? mine is still unbroken and i'd love to keep it that way.

I am using 3Sx1500mah packs. They are the Walkera stock packs for their Lama 400D. I found them for $17.10 in bulk from a wholesaler in Hong Kong. I love them, because they give good flight time (>8min, but never tested the absolute limit). They certainly last longer than the 1300mah that came with the stock heli, and the 2200's may add too much weight to the heli for good 3D characteristics. Anyway, that was my reasoning behind buying 4 packs. With my revolectrix cellpro 10s, I can charge 2 packs in parallel at 3C, so I get two packs every 20 minutes. Basically, I can fly continuously with that set up. I can't stand the stock Walkera chargers that take hours to charge one pack.

Yes, the boom brace is from RTF- Nice and works well, but quite pricey ($19.95 PLUS shipping). I bought it shortly after I got V400#1, but it was defective (holes not spaced properly), so I sent it back and got it back a few days ago. Actually, I broke the boom holder 2nd or 3rd flight and took a large zip tie and strapped together the boom and fuse together, and it worked perfectly though 25 plus flights and a number of crashes.

The 2200s are heavier, and for 3D, I am sure a lighter pack would be better. How about this 3s 1500ma from Hobbypartz? less than 11 bucks SHIPPED and shipping is very fast out of So.Cal. I got my first V400 from them in 3 working days. Probably a couple of days longer to your state.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-1500mah-3s1p-111-20c.html

My 2 sons and I have over 50 of their packs and have done a huge amount of flying for over a year and not one pack has gone bad. We like to slow charge our packs, but I will fast charge when I need to. Sounds like you have a nice set up.

I have repaired a canopy that was about 30% shattered with a large chunk out of the forward black area. It works best if you can find all the small pieces, but if you can't, it is no problem. I used black electrical tape (3M is best) and tape the pieces from the inside. If you are missing a large chunk, just double tape that part, bottom to bottom (it's hard to explain). On an undamaged canopy, use the same tape, and tape the inside. Adds a little weight, but worth it in a crash as the canopy will not shatter. I have already tested this theory .

SpadCat

PS Anymore inverted flight stories to tell yet?
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Mar 09, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:25 AM
Joined Jan 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Yes, the boom brace is from RTF- Nice and works well, but quite pricey ($19.95 PLUS shipping). I bought it shortly after I got V400#1, but it was defective (holes not spaced properly), so I sent it back and got it back a few days ago. Actually, I broke the boom holder 2nd or 3rd flight and took a large zip tie and strapped together the boom and fuse together, and it worked perfectly though 25 plus flights and a number of crashes.

The 2200s are heavier, and for 3D, I am sure a lighter pack would be better. How about this 3s 1500ma from Hobbypartz? less than 11 bucks SHIPPED and shipping is very fast out of So.Cal. I got my first V400 from them in 3 working days. Probably a couple of days longer to your state.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-1500mah-3s1p-111-20c.html

My 2 sons and I have over 50 of their packs and have done a huge amount of flying for over a year and not one pack has gone bad. We like to slow charge our packs, but I will fast charge when I need to. Sounds like you have a nice set up.

I have repaired a canopy that was about 30% shattered with a large chunk out of the forward black area. It works best if you can find all the small pieces, but if you can't, it is no problem. I used black electrical tape (3M is best) and tape the pieces from the inside. If you are missing a large chunk, just double tape that part, bottom to bottom (it's hard to explain). On an undamaged canopy, use the same tape, and tape the inside. Adds a little weight, but worth it in a crash as the canopy will not shatter. I have already tested this theory .

SpadCat

PS Anymore inverted flight stories to tell yet?
SpadCat,

Yep, I thought the boom brace was a bit pricey too. Haven't broken it yet, so I'll hold off until then. It is good lookin' though.

I like those 1500mah batteries! Nice price, quick delivery, etc. Are they the same dims as the Walkera stock? Do they fit nicely in the frame?

You have two boys too? Mine are 3-1/2 and 5-1/2, so they are only flying a little $25 Syma coax right now (indestructible). I hope they love RC as much as I do when they're older. How old are your boys? When did you start letting them fly?

Yes, I am happy with the Cellpro 10S purchase. It makes the li-po charging a breeze and completely tolerable from a time standpoint. I would recommend the 10S to ANYONE. I bought mine refurbed from them, so it was quite a bit cheaper.

Good idea on the canopy! Now you got me thinking. Maybe I could find some kind of spray on coating that you could spray on the entire interior surface and it would act just like the 3m electrical tape? Just a thought...

More inverted flight stories? Nope, unfortunately, I have been confined to bed mostly since Sunday. I had been having abdominal pain since Friday afternoon, so I broke down and went to the doc on Monday morning. I had appendicitis! I had surgery on Tuesday morning and got out of the hospital yesterday morning. I am all drugged out right now and besides being in pain, I couldn't fly anything right now without crashing it miserably. So, here I sit, bored, drugged out, and trying to make sense of these RCGroup responses. I should be back in action by this weekend.

Take care, Russ
rustyh17 is offline Find More Posts by rustyh17
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:07 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Sorry to hear about your prestent condition Russ, I hope you fell better soon.

I have a 5 year old son who now wants a rc heli, and I wondering what I should get for him. Indestructable is the main requirment. He keeps saying he wants an "Air Hog", but I dont think they are the same quality as a "syma" or "double horse". Its funny to watch him try to fly on the sim.

Any advice.......

kdean
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Sorry to hear about your prestent condition Russ, I hope you fell better soon.

I have a 5 year old son who now wants a rc heli, and I wondering what I should get for him. Indestructable is the main requirment. He keeps saying he wants an "Air Hog", but I dont think they are the same quality as a "syma" or "double horse". Its funny to watch him try to fly on the sim.

Any advice.......

kdean
kdean, no worries. I'm not in any pain at present.

My 5 year old flies the Syma AH-64 (S012). It does not have a tail gyro on it, so it fish-tails a lot, but he has had a lot of fun with it.

I may go ahead and get him the Syma S107G w/ gyro. I think it will help him start to do some controlled forward flight without the tail swinging about so much.

If he continues to show interest in the S107G, I'll probably jump him up to one of the larger 3 ch coax's. Specifically, the Syma S031.

The AirHogs are kind of marketed like "toys". I want my son to think of RC heli flying as more of a hobby. A hobby takes both mechanical prowess AND flight skill. I just don't want them to end up in the bottom of a toy box somewhere along with this Hotwheels and Buzz Lightyear action figures.
That's just my opinion.

What I don't want to do is project my love for this stuff onto my son. If he doesn't show a keen interest in pursuing the hobby, I'll probably just back off and let him grow into it. Lots of boys don't really "get it" until they hit 7 or 8.

I let my son fly the sim too, and it is funny. He really has no clue about how the flight control surfaces affect the heli's movements. I need to spend some time showing him what each stick movement does to the heli. Then, he won't get bored or frustrated as he learns. Right now it is all just new and fun for him. I plan on trying to keep it that way. I think working on REAL HELIs vs. just flight sim is paramount in keeping a kids interest level piqued. When they can hold what they are flying, it makes a world of difference.

(Wow, okay, I think I'm rambling here due to the meds... )
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:32 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
I know what you mean about it "ending up at the bottom of the toy box". So far, he's had a rc boat (never made it to lake, lost the antena tube and the metal antena from the remote, the body pins, and the charger). A rc car (he used it for a while with his GI Joe figures, and did a good job of charging and maintaining the battery all by his self. Now its in peices, I dont know what he did to it.) He seem really interested in a heli, but I think its because I have 4 and he cant use them. Im almost sure it will not be able to fly after two weeks, and I hope it teaches him a lesson about takeing care of his "toys".

I remember when I was about 5, I would not let anyone play with my stuff. My cousin came over once, when I was not there, and she took apart my Lego Space Station. I still get bad feelings when I see her today. After that happend my toys were 'off limits' to anyone.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Thanx for the info

kdean
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Hover Record! (for me)

Hey Kdean,

Just wanted to do a quick post here to let you know I finally got my V400 flying well enough (had some unexplained (noobie) problems with it the last few days) that I was able to test the 3s 2200 lipo flight time. No FF, all hovering in fairly calm conditions. I got a 14m 45s flight. I have a vibration from a brand new 325 mm fiberglass rotor that I chipped the ends in a crash yesterday, and vibration will soak up power so I might have had a longer flight time with a perfect rotor.

No time now to comment on you and Rusty's recent posts, but will later this weekend.

Happy Hovering!

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:09 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Hey spad,

thanx for info. Wow...14mins. I have a hard time staying focused for a 5min hover. That takes alot of concentration.

I took #1 and #3 out last night to get some stick time before my gig. There is a cold front blowing through right now, and the winds are up at 12mph, gusting 15+. I was very nervus about flying in winds over 10mph, never done it before. To my surprise the 12+ mph winds were not a problem at all. The v400 cut through it like butter.

I flew #3 (with turnigy servos) first, and im extremly happy with the way it feels. The smoother response in the cyclic servos really makes the heli easier to fly. It was handeling so nice, i did not even fly #1. Im going to play with my exp to try get #1 and #2 as smooth as the anolog turnigys make this heli respond. I guess because im a begginer and not really into "hard core" 3D flight, this smoother response works for me.

My wife is away so im gunna fly as much as i can while shes gone.....

Kdean
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:34 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Im going to play with my exp to try get #1 and #2 as smooth as the anolog turnigys make this heli respond...
Which servo is that?

Happy holiday (i. e. wife away break)
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Which servo is that?

Happy holiday (i. e. wife away break)
They are the Turnigy TGY-90S metal gear (anolog) servo. They are cheap but good. You need to do alot of modding to get them to fit. But well worth it.

Here is a link to showing how to install them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401711

kdean
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:04 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Wow

I see that wow hobbies is saying that they will no longer be stocking the V400D02, and recomend the 1#A or V450. They say that customers complain about the servos and the swash.

Of course we all know about the servos being a problem, but install a set of good ones and problem solved....

I've seen one person have the swash fall apart after a hard crash, but that was the only case I know of. Has anyone else had, or heard about, any "swash" problems?

The V400D02 is a great heli for the price. All helis will have their problems. I think wow is trying to move some of the "other" helis that are not selling because of the demand for the V400.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:21 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Want to take #1 and #2 to the park before I go to work, but the winds are getting stronger. Now at 15+MPH. Should i fly???
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Not sure kdean, there isnt a V400 in stock anywhere, and Xheli is out of stock, and Helipal isnt even listing it right now. Maybe just because its out of stock from Walkera. I got together with Helipal and we had some tech talk with Walkera techs ( they finally agreed to send me an exploded view of the V400..) to inform them of the head issues and to figure out what happened. I think all the complaints are really starting to be what people hear about, not the fixes. And the dealers are even tired of the issues, many have told me out right, they get tons of complaints about the same issues and the fact that parts are constantly out of stock.

My #1 with the EXI servos is still flying great with the stock motor, #2 was fixed today with a head swap from #3, #3 is down until a tail fin/ motor holder and the hopefully, good replacement heads gets here on Tues.. #4 still in the box.

EDIT:::: I emailed my contacts to find out more, but I think the shortage is just stock problems for a very popular trainer....but ya never klnow do ya?
Blayd is offline Find More Posts by Blayd
Last edited by Blayd; Mar 12, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayd View Post
Not sure kdean, there isnt a V400 in stock anywhere, and Xheli is out of stock, and Helipal isnt even listing it right now. Maybe just because its out of stock from Walkera. I got together with Helipal and we had some tech talk with Walkera techs ( they finally agreed to send me an exploded view of the V400..) to inform them of the head issues and to figure out what happened. I think all the complaints are really starting to be what people hear about, not the fixes. And the dealers are even tired of the issues, many have told me out right, they get tons of complaints about the same issues and the fact that parts are constantly out of stock.

My #1 with the EXI servos is still flying great with the stock motor, #2 was fixed today with a head swap from #3, #3 is down until a tail fin/ motor holder and the hopefully, good replacement heads gets here on Tues.. #4 still in the box.

EDIT:::: I emailed my contacts to find out more, but I think the shortage is just stock problems for a very popular trainer....but ya never klnow do ya?
Just for info, I got mine from RTF-HELI. They have parts in stock with no problems, but no new heli rtf kits until 03/18 eta.
Last edited by rustyh17; Mar 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: checked site and updated
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:36 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Big step taken

I was going to fly my #1 and #2 last night, but when i got to the park the lights were out. The park was in complete darkness. I drove around to some other places i knew had good light, but they are both close to the beach and the wind was crazy.

Not to happy about not flying, i got home after the gig and practised nose in and side orientation in the sim until i fell asleep. I left the cases in the car knowing i had to fly today, due to rainy weather coming on monday and tuesday. I needed to take that big step in flying. Im getting bored of hovering.

So, after I was done playing at church this morning i stoped at the park and was ready for whatever happens. My plan was to fly the first battery with #2 (only two flights so far) and warm up my thumbs. Then fly #1 like there was no tomorrow. If I crashed and burned I would still have #2 to kill the rest of the batteries with.

All I can say is, the feeling of "i did it, i did it" must have been all over my face. I was doing forward flights, side to side, circles, figure eights, having way to much fun. I was flying straight out, turning around, and coming straight back (nose in). Doing quick small S turns, bank turns, almost all the things I would do on the sim. Im still not totaly confident with my flying, but now I'M FLYING!!!

I must say thay my evasive manuvers are really good. When i dont have time to think, my reactions are pretty solid. At one point when I was coming back in nose-in, the wind started gusting. The heli started to climb and i got nervous and forgot everything. I was trying to bring it down and forgot I had to trun. When I rememberd i was standing under a tree, and the heli was heading strait for it, there was a bit of a panic moment. I guess i stoped thinking and just reacted. I banked through the big palm leaves in the nick if time. In my mind I knew I was about to hit this tree. I was ready to try and catch it before it hit the ground. So, my sub-concious takes over, and once again saves the day. After the hard bank between the leaves, the heli was straight up and down, faceing the ground. I dont know how I corrected it, but did. I remember I was adout to add negitive pitch and flip it over like I would on the sim. Im glad i did'ent cause i was not in flight mode.

Now that I have taken that big step, my progress in proprely flying rc helis should be alot quicker.

Well, I had a great day. I'm home now re-charging my packs and i'm gunna take the kids to the park this evening. Maybe I can get one to hold a camera!!!!

Kdean
Last edited by kdean; Mar 13, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Motor Controller relocation & On/Off Switch

Here is a photo of my bird after moving the motor controller to the center of the frame and adding an on/off switch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2222199/Phot...%2050%20PM.jpg

I also had the swash plate pop apart on the crash, just squeezed it back together with pliers and I was good to go again.
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace