SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:54 PM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
I tried that this weekend on my spare V400 RX. It didnt do squat for me. Let me know what your results are.
that is coool.....
waiting to see your result..
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:03 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1741 View Post
thanks Wasp,

So we no need a separate regulator, since it added weight also (especially with heatsink)

The connector to throttle from ESC, have 3 pin,

So i assume it would be signal, +5v , GND right?
So i just split the +5v and GND and connect it to the battery check on Rx, theoretically it will work?

i going to use multimeter to test out how much voltage the plug to Battery check from the stock brush-ESC

Solder a resistor between +5V pin and the signal pin of the connector, a 1000 to 500 ohms will do. Don't need the GND wire, just cut and wrap it up. Plug it into the power check port. Viva.

Normally the RX is fed via the throttle port. The +5V and GND pins on all the ports of the RX are parallel. Once we connect the ESC and battery, we would have +5V on all the middle pins of the RX. We would get roughly 3 to 4V on the power check signal pin. The RX should be happy with anything above 2V.

Enjoy.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:50 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,223 Posts
I was getting ready for my new servos and found my swashplate stabilizer not lined up correctly. This was something i didnt check after the 1st wreck , so it could have binded during my tests with the brushless tail mod. So if thats the case then my tail mod worked perfect and the wire broke on impact with shed. At least i found it before next test. And for anyone having trouble, just another thing to check.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,834 Posts
Hi Wasp, I have a question that I think you could answer. I have a 450 clone and I want to be sure the motor is getting 100% power. It has a Hobbywing 40a esc and I've set the throttle limits with a linear curve so it should be at 100%. Now, can I check the voltage comming out of the esc to motor to be sure? How much should it be at full throttle if my batt is at say12.5 volts?
Thanks
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:59 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Hi Wasp, I have a question that I think you could answer. I have a 450 clone and I want to be sure the motor is getting 100% power. It has a Hobbywing 40a esc and I've set the throttle limits with a linear curve so it should be at 100%. Now, can I check the voltage comming out of the esc to motor to be sure? How much should it be at full throttle if my batt is at say12.5 volts?
Thanks
Sorry, the ESC should be using pulses to drive brushless motor. I haven't made an BL ESC on my own yet, as the parts are likely to cost more than the finished product. Hence I haven't looked into how exactly it works.

The pulses are digital in a sense, i.e. on or off. At higher throttle, it should spend more time at the on state. It cannot be DC though. The ESC has to switch to each phase in sequence to drive a brushless motor. The commonly used cycling frequency should be 8KHz or 16KHz.

It would be hard to say what you will get on your multimeter, which isn't really designed to handle pulses not at 60 or 50Hz.

An oscilloscope may have a better chance.

At full throttle, I guess, by symmetry, we may be seeing 33.3% duty cycle per phase or 66.7% duty cycle if the ESC can fire at 2 phases at the same time.

You probably should be able to read more about ESC's on the web.

BTW, most ESC can calibrate the maxi throttle with a non-zero throttle at power up. However we may need a simple RX to do that. My RX-2618V would not allow the non-zero throttle to go through on power up. I have to program/calibrate my ESC on another RX.
Last edited by Wasp09; Sep 27, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,834 Posts
Thanks Wasp
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:03 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Solder a resistor between +5V pin and the signal pin of the connector, a 1000 to 500 ohms will do. Don't need the GND wire, just cut and wrap it up. Plug it into the power check port. Viva.

Normally the RX is fed via the throttle port. The +5V and GND pins on all the ports of the RX are parallel. Once we connect the ESC and battery, we would have +5V on all the middle pins of the RX. We would get roughly 3 to 4V on the power check signal pin. The RX should be happy with anything above 2V.

Enjoy.
Okay, i went to my local radio shack and found a 680ohm resistor. Got home and tried this out with the 2614V RX . I got better results with this on the ESC beeps i've been getting before this resistor. I have not finished playing with it yet, my wife calls.
SteelHeadz is offline Find More Posts by SteelHeadz
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:

Enjoy.

hmm... so this means the batt check needs something less than 5v, hense the resistor comes in?

so ... throttle cable from ESC,
split the +5, one side back to throttle on rx,
another end goes to resistor than goes to batt-check on rx

is it correct?

and no need to worry about the ground cause inside the RX it is parallel?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:19 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
Okay, i went to my local radio shack and found a 680ohm resistor. Got home and tried this out with the 2614V RX . I got better results with this on the ESC beeps i've been getting before this resistor. I have not finished playing with it yet, my wife calls.
The resistor is just for protection, safer than connecting the input to 5V directly in case the RX input breaks down and draws too much current.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,160 Posts
Quote:
hmm... so this means the batt check needs something less than 5v, hense the resistor comes in?

so ... throttle cable from ESC,
split the +5, one side back to throttle on rx,
another end goes to resistor than goes to batt-check on rx

is it correct?

and no need to worry about the ground cause inside the RX it is parallel?
Yes, you can do it that way too by using your existing 1 wire connector, but you have to split one of your +5 connection. The resistor is there for protection.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you can do it that way too by using your existing 1 wire connector, but you have to split one of your +5 connection. The resistor is there for protection.
thanks wasp
i going try it out soon
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
thanks wasp
i going try it out soon
whenever you guys get this worked out, please post a schematic. Even a picture of a hand drawn one would work wonders. Also, just so i'm clear that i'm following the conversation correctly, you guys are talking about getting the brushless esc to work without going through the stock esc, right? that would be pretty nice to get that one figured out
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
whenever you guys get this worked out, please post a schematic. Even a picture of a hand drawn one would work wonders. Also, just so i'm clear that i'm following the conversation correctly, you guys are talking about getting the brushless esc to work without going through the stock esc, right? that would be pretty nice to get that one figured out
sure thing.. if i get it working i will post a pic
now i going to find myself an ESC

a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,160 Posts
Quote:
sure thing.. if i get it working i will post a pic
now i going to find myself an ESC

a picture is worth a thousand words.
If you don't want to split the 5V wire on every ESC that you are going to use and have to move it around, it would be better to put the resistor on its own connector.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
If you don't want to split the 5V wire on every ESC that you are going to use and have to move it around, it would be better to put the resistor on its own connector.
i going to buy those "servo extension cable" that have male-female connector
and split from there.. so no harm done on the ESC ...