Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:49 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,605 Posts
I was unable to get that to work, but I now know what I need to do. First thing is you need walkera esc that can comunicate directly with the rx. The 59#dq is the same frame as the v400 with a fuse on it. It has a brushless conversion that you can buy the parts for. There is a 10a tail esc, 30a main esc, and a y battery connection. Now wasp, has explained this to me many times and I know if I could only find the capacitor that he is talking about, I can put it together myself. You will need about a 5v capacitor wired between two of the pins in the "power check" port on the rx. I will need to go and review those posts when I get to that point. I think I'll just offer wasp some money to send me one in the mail.

All these esc's can be bought at wow hobbies, in the 59#DQ parts menu.

Now gege is saying the tail esc from wow hobbies is not the one that he uses on his tail mod, but the only difference I see is the power (red) wire is missing. You could always cut that.

Wasp will have to help with the details on the power check situation.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi Kdean, Wasp09 has gotten me interested in the idea of plugging the signal converter directly into the Rx. As I recall, you and Wasp09 talked about this at length on previous pages of this thread. Upon searching through those posts, however, it appears that you didn't get it to work. Is it true that it didn't work out for you?

I'd really love to bypast the stock ESC, but I'm nervous about just going off cutting wires & stuff.
I did manage to get the tail to work with a high speed stevechip directly to the rx, but the motor was to powerful and I need to change it. I already have 2 of the 2211-1700kv turnigy motors waiting to be installed, but putting that whole project on the side right now, until I get the new servos and upper frame to reassemble the v400 #1.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi Kdean, Wasp09 has gotten me interested in the idea of plugging the signal converter directly into the Rx. As I recall, you and Wasp09 talked about this at length on previous pages of this thread. Upon searching through those posts, however, it appears that you didn't get it to work. Is it true that it didn't work out for you?

I'd really love to bypast the stock ESC, but I'm nervous about just going off cutting wires & stuff.

i thinking of same thing too,
cause when searching for signal converter
all of them i see, they are plug directly into the rx..
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:57 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,605 Posts
I think the walkera rx's for their brushed motor helis put out a different or weaker frequency than normal rx's. Thats why we cant go direct to the rx unless through a special walkera brushless esc.

It was recomended to me by Manny Campose to use a regular walkera v rx, like the 2612v or 2702v and just set up the rudder trav adj to work with the tail motor. It has not been tested but sounds like it should work.

The funding for my heli addiction has been put on hold so i can not experiment with the different confierations right now. I know how NASA feels now. I put my old tail back on my #2 and im just gunna fly it til the tail motor dies. Now that #1 is down I miss flying my v400's.

It looks like there is a weather system over central Bahamas that is manufacturing rain clouds and sending them to Florida. I really hope the sky clears up enough to fly this afternoon.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:18 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
wonder if there're any places other than xheli that carry the V400

Vien
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:37 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I was unable to get that to work, but I now know what I need to do. First thing is you need walkera esc that can comunicate directly with the rx. The 59#dq is the same frame as the v400 with a fuse on it. It has a brushless conversion that you can buy the parts for. There is a 10a tail esc, 30a main esc, and a y battery connection. Now wasp, has explained this to me many times and I know if I could only find the capacitor that he is talking about, I can put it together myself. You will need about a 5v capacitor wired between two of the pins in the "power check" port on the rx. I will need to go and review those posts when I get to that point. I think I'll just offer wasp some money to send me one in the mail.

All these esc's can be bought at wow hobbies, in the 59#DQ parts menu.

Now gege is saying the tail esc from wow hobbies is not the one that he uses on his tail mod, but the only difference I see is the power (red) wire is missing. You could always cut that.

Wasp will have to help with the details on the power check situation.
Not capacitor, a 500 ohms resistor between the 5V and signal pin of the power check port.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,605 Posts
thanx wasp....

Just getting back from the field. Got vids..... will post tonight hope fully.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
The funding for my heli addiction has been put on hold so i can not experiment with the different confierations right now. I know how NASA feels now.
Hahaha, now that's funny!
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:53 PM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
Double up frame vid from rtf
i love to have that fiber glass canopy tooo....
comes with o-ring somemore
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:00 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
After a few days away from the computer more or less, I finally sat down and caught up on this forum today. It was quite some catching up to do, and I enjoyed reading the great saga of trails and mis-steps, high flights and hovers, crashes and repairs...

I really like this thread. The conversation a few days ago that I just caught up on was extremely relevant to what I was going to post about. I've been thinking a lot the past few days about a new heli, and I think it might have been some sort of telepathy from the conversation going on here "Da Dum Da!"

Tonight just before i caught up on the thread, I placed an order for a new bird. Guess which one? .... i'll give you a hint, my paypal account is still frozen, and chinesejade already sold out of their v400's which sucked .... OK, I got the t-rex 450 pro fbl 3gx super combo from wowhobbies with a 2801rx to go with it

So, i guess that question that was asked a few pages back, will it work with the 2801 will be answered, tho to tell you the truth i'd rather not be the guinea pig I did a little researching but couldn't find too much, i think it'll work out though with this rx/tx.

wowhobbies dropped their price on that 450pro and then offered free shipping so I finally gave in In the same order I have parts to get back flying my 450mutt (that's my mixed 450, it's a mutt ) and my v120 (i broke one of those tiny screw heads by screwing it in too tight...).

I can't wait till it gets here! i really want to have all my helis flying at the same time, but the v400 is still in question. The new swashplate didn't do the trick, and it had loose ball joints which luckily i noticed before it was too late. It's vibrating bad, i'm starting to think maybe a bearing got loctite in it or something? I still think a second v400 to swap parts would be best, but that'll have to wait for a while, since my new 450 is on the way.

oh, speaking of my new 450, my wife gets back in town in a few days, so if you don't hear from me for a while, I may be in the basement strung up to the ceiling by my nads Actually she's been pretty cool about this hobby, and me being an engineer is usually a good enough excuse. She's a cool gal but this heli order may be pushing it. hmmm, maybe if i clean the house super good that'll help
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,605 Posts
Here is a vid of the 450pro w/2702v rx. This is a 'mut' heli. Some Align, EXI, Tarot, Alzrc. Uploading another vid of the v400 #2 with the canopy cam....

450 pro w/2702v rx (8 min 34 sec)
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:43 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Hi guys, today I decided to do some fiddling around with the signal converter to see if I could plug into the Rx directly. I plugged in a spare brushless motor, just in case I did something wrong--wouldn't want to visit my local ER.

Anyways, my first attempt was to plug the signal converter wires directly into the main motor port on the Rx. Doing this meant that the white wire was not connected to the Rx, just the red and black wires were plugged in. When I connected the battery, the brushless system booted up correctly, but the red light on the Rx never lit up and the servos never twitched. I assumed this means there was no power going to the Rx.

So, then I thought maybe I could take some power from the white wire on the brushless ESC and route it to the Rx. I rigged up a makeshift Y-connection so that the white wire went from the brushless ESC to the main motor port on the Rx and to the signal converter. The red and black wires went from the signal converter to the Rx, as before. Seemed like a logical plan at the time, but when I connected the battery, the light on the Rx did not light up, and the brushless system was unable to properly boot up, and just continued to beep like it was not receiving a signal.

At that point I no longer wanted to tear into a working system, so I put everything back together and then test flew the heli without incident. It looks like I will just have to live with the stock ESC being in the system. After already investing in a working brushless system, I don't really want to turn around and purchase a different receiver and Walkera brushless ESC at this time.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:03 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
hey Nav, I had also tried to bypass the stock esc for the brushless esc without success, and gave up figuring it was just made for brushed motors. I didn't try too hard though, sounds like you're diving into it further that I did.

You mentioned something about the signal wire and the black and red wire. It sounded a little confusing to me what you are plugging into what and i'm not sure if all is clear in this area. - The black and red wire should just be your positive and negative power wires, and the white wire is your signal wire. The signal wire basically will send pulses from the rx to the esc, servos, etc to control them. When you mentioned your Y connection I tried to follow along, but it was a little tough to get the picture. If you could post a basic hand drawn schematic that would help. It would be nice to figure out if we can go double brushless without the stock esc.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:50 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Hi Dilberto, based on your description it would appear that my attempts were a bit uneducated. What I noticed is that without the white wire from the stock ESC, the Rx had no power. So, then I thought I could use the white wire from the brushless ESC, but that wire already goes to the signal converter. So, that's where the Y-connection comes in, all I meant was that I made the white wire from the brushless ESC go to the motor port on the Rx and also the signal converter. But the more I think about this, the more I think I don't have a clue . . .
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,605 Posts
FPV with V400 #2 and StayPro cam. Hard to stay level with the heli so high up. It gets hard to see. I going to try some training gear and see if they help.

V400D02 #2 FPV w/staypro cam (5 min 8 sec)

Next up is this same flight from my point of view.