SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:01 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
Amen to that!!Nice workstation Kdean. Mine doesn't look like that. Mine has a clutter of heli stuff on one side and a clutter of gunsmithing stuff on the other. It's kinda convenient since some of the tools i use are just as small.
SteelHeadz is offline Find More Posts by SteelHeadz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
Amen to that!!Nice workstation Kdean. Mine doesn't look like that. Mine has a clutter of heli stuff on one side and a clutter of gunsmithing stuff on the other. It's kinda convenient since some of the tools i use are just as small.
Thanks,

its alot cleaner and more organized that it was two weeks ago. Ive got 2 more projects to get working on, but still waiting to clear the stuff from customs. First i have to put my 450pro #1 back together. (its the frame sitting next to the printer). Needs a new servo, blade grips, canopy pin, and im still not sure if i should install the fbl head and rx, or put in the 2801 with the quark and ds95i (very expensive tail setup) and make it the fb heli.

Then i need to order some hi tec 5055s and rebuild my v400 #1 (with brushless tail).

Still waiting for the rain to stop.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
I hear y'a. I wish we would get the rain here. It's been a really dry summer. I still have a few parts to order for the 450. I installed a digital tail servo and mount this morning on that 450. Went to town at a hardware store for some aluminum tubes, stopped by at work and checked the secretary's desk and saw a package for me , finally got a new brushless motor and ESC. What do you think about the Typhoon 2215 by Turnigy paired up with either the Exceed proton 40 amp or the skywalker 40 amp.?. My v400/9050 is down again due to a burnt brushed main motor. I'm just waiting for enough money saved up to get that conversion kit from RTF Heli and go brushless. Then i'm gonna bug you to show me how to convert the tail to a brushless as well.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:42 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
I hear y'a. I wish we would get the rain here. It's been a really dry summer. I still have a few parts to order for the 450. I installed a digital tail servo and mount this morning on that 450. Went to town at a hardware store for some aluminum tubes, stopped by at work and checked the secretary's desk and saw a package for me , finally got a new brushless motor and ESC. What do you think about the Typhoon 2215 by Turnigy paired up with either the Exceed proton 40 amp or the skywalker 40 amp.?. My v400/9050 is down again due to a burnt brushed main motor. I'm just waiting for enough money saved up to get that conversion kit from RTF Heli and go brushless. Then i'm gonna bug you to show me how to convert the tail to a brushless as well.
I was just looking at those motors today. I need to change one of my alphas, i think i put too much strees on it doing throttle pumps in the 450. The typhoons look very powerful and all the comments look good. Some of the guys who put them in edf jets say they have the tendency to get hot and burn out, but the heli guys have no problems with that. Did you get the 3550kv or the 3200kv version? You may need to experiment with the pinnion choice to get the best head speed. I have two proton 40a, and they have worked great, cant speak on the other one. The hobbywing platinum pro 40a has a great soft start, and a really good govenor.

Let me know how it performs, and you can bug me anytime.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
I got the 3800KV with 3 different pinions. The guy who sold it to me said that the best one to use is the 11t. Good for mild flying and performs well on punch outs(like i know how to do that) without heating up the motor too much. I still need a signal converter, 2801RX and TX. Waiting for the main gear, tail servo rod and support and tail fins. Right now i'm bored too so i'm making some skids of my own for the 450 out of an aluminum tube thats the same OD as the original one. i'll take a pic of the finished project when im done.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:07 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,405 Posts
I really enjoy flying my V400 AND I really don't want to crash it (any more). I finally got MG servos which help and figured out a throttle and pitch curve which imitates a Bell 206 Jet Ranger. After I did that, it got much easier to fly and much more fun (for me).

At this point, I am just trying to learn control. I know what it is for it to get away from me and I try real hard not to let that happen. It wasn't too long ago I couldn't fly without training gear. I have progressed to the point of not needing that so I feel I have made some progress. I don't get to practice as much as I would like but I do take it out and fly every chance I get. Lately I've been flying from my driveway in front of my house and getting the attention of the neighbors
ChopperJack is online now Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:12 PM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
thats a nice workstation kdean
and thanks for sharing the pic too...

navigator... i thinking of velco strap too
but i agree with u it's hard to get the battery out
unless we change the frame to the more 'standard' 450 frame
where the battery is on top...
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:24 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Hi guys, I too have been thinking about some sort of 450 frame mod for the battery. It's just a pain to work with the narrow cage on the V400.

Hey ChopperJack, all my practice has been in my driveway and also in my back yard. I've had neighbors just stop their cars in the street and stare at the heli as it hovers. I started out wobbling all around with training gear on, and now I'm doing ff around the front lawn. So, yeah, that front yard practice has made a difference for me.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
I guess my next project is to make a battery tray that would hold the blue lipo 2650mah/ 30C.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Nice skids, now can you make a stronger frame for the v400, or maybe a roll cage.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:08 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
The blade 400 has a set up where the battery goes on top. But its a pain when trying to use bigger batteries. The end of the stock batteries sometimes rub against the motor when you put the canopy on.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
The blade 400 has a set up where the battery goes on top. But its a pain when trying to use bigger batteries. The end of the stock batteries sometimes rub against the motor when you put the canopy on.

LOL, that's why i went away with the V400 frame. It seems to bend every which way possible in crashes(My crashes). I have a friend who has a waterjet CNC machine and he seems to think he could cut me out an aluminum frame thats modified from the original V400D02 frame design. I just have to find a blank stock that would be light enough and draw it out for him on a CAD program.
As for the battery tray on the 450, i'm still not sure how i'm going to mount it but i'm looking at different options while i wait for parts to arrive. Option 1: if you look at the picture i posted, you can kind'a see a bracket on the bottom of the frame in between the front and rear of the skid brackets. It's a titanium plate used for bone reconstruction. It's almost weightless and strong. Don't worry, it was not used. The battery hangs on that while the oher side is held with a rubber band to the tip of the frame heli on the front. Option 2 is to make a light weight skeleton frame on the front of the 2 servo's down to the lower frame on a slant. After i get the rest of the parts for this heli, i can mount the battery on each one of those option and determine which one works best for the sake of CG. I haven't made up my mind on the canopy yet on which one to get so for now i'm using the 9050 canopy as a mockup piece. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Maybe i'm making a simple problem more complicated in my head.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Double up frame vid from rtf

WWW.RTF-HELI.COM - REINFORCE WALKERA V400D02 (CENTURY NEON BLAZE SE) FLYBARLESS 6-CH CP HELICOPTER (3 min 30 sec)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:12 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Hi Kdean, Wasp09 has gotten me interested in the idea of plugging the signal converter directly into the Rx. As I recall, you and Wasp09 talked about this at length on previous pages of this thread. Upon searching through those posts, however, it appears that you didn't get it to work. Is it true that it didn't work out for you?

I'd really love to bypast the stock ESC, but I'm nervous about just going off cutting wires & stuff.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011