HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:39 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Hey kdean,

To fix the ESC tyrap problem interfering with bigger batteries (I am assuming that is the reason for moving the ESC), just clip the tyraps off and use either double sided tape or Velcro to secure the ESC to the side where it normally is. Plenty of room now for a 3s 2200 (which I tested).

In regards to the EXI 450, I would like to use all the mechanics and electronics of the V400 to fit in one. I just want to get rid of the crappy V400 fuselage frame and hardware. Most of it is just junk.

SpadCat

Edit: HK has the HK 450 bare bones kit for only $9.44 plus shipping. Good way to go if I want to experiment, but it is on B/O
I used smaller cable ties to secure the "ESC" more or less at the original location. As long as we pick the right places to pass through, the ties would not interfere with my 1300mAH wider than stock batteries.

The $10 bare bone kit has been on back order for many months and probably won't be back in stock any time soon. I'll pass.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:46 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,613 Posts
Here is a sneek peek at what I've been doing with my #3.

Thats right..... Super Skids, TGY 90S mg servos, Metal Boom Suport, New ESC location, Rear loading battery packs (no longer have to remove canopy to change batteries)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=3841915&stc=1

Not done with it yet. I have an idea to help with the tail fin breakage...
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:42 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,037 Posts
If it used to break at the boom connector, I would say wrap it up with a few rounds of steel wires and put a coat of connect cement on top to strength that. If your boom breaks in a crash instead, don't blame me. Something has to go sometimes and it is your choice.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I used smaller cable ties to secure the "ESC" more or less at the original location. As long as we pick the right places to pass through, the ties would not interfere with my 1300mAH wider than stock batteries.

The $10 bare bone kit has been on back order for many months and probably won't be back in stock any time soon. I'll pass.
Out of curiosity, what do you plan on passing to? I just want to find the lowest cost way to experiment with a new fuselage. Maybe I will try to find a used 450 EXi or HK. Is there any reason the V400 mechanics may not physically fit? I also have thought about using a sheet of CF that I have on hand to make my own fuse, but really do not want to do that much cutting of CF without proper protection.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
If it used to break at the boom connector, I would say wrap it up with a few rounds of steel wires and put a coat of connect cement on top to strength that. If your boom breaks in a crash instead, don't blame me. Something has to go sometimes and it is your choice.
I think what he is alluding to is that BOTH ends break far too easily, and since there are fixes for the upper boom, why not the lower end? Of course, with such a flimsy fuse, you probably are right in it is better to break something easily replaceable then something like a whole fuse assembly.

SpadCat
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:04 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,613 Posts
2200 bats

Hey spad,

What is the name brand of the 2200mah batteries that you are using? Where do you get them? and What type of connection do they use?

5 min of flight time is not enough. After the first 3 mins, and the power starts to drop, the heli feels to sluggish to and you really only want to land the thing, and change to battery.

To All,

I've heard people say that the pitch needed to be adjusted on the stock set-up, as well as after a brushless conversion. Does anyone know what "Good Pitch Settings" will help with this heli in its stock set-up?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Hi kdean,

Here is the link for the battery and one from You Tube on setting up pitch curves for V400 with brushless conversions.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-3s1p-111-20c.html

WWW.RTF-HELI.COM WK-2603 PROGRAMMING YOUR PIT AND PLT (7 min 38 sec)

You probably already have seen this video, but I used it to help me change the settings on my stock V400 when I wanted a milder curve. It was way too aggressive on the negative pitch.

SpadCat
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:20 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,613 Posts
Thnx spad,

what connections are you using? Do you use an adapter at the esc?
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
[QUOTE=SpadCat2000;17587944]Hi kdean,

Here is the link for the battery and one from You Tube on setting up pitch curves for V400 with brushless conversions.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-3s1p-111-20c.html

Wonder how this battery would work with the stock motor?

Just ordered a 1300mah from them...
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
After The Crash Repair

Seems like my tail rotor motor/rudder has a mind of it's own now after doing some hover flights yesterday.

Sometimes it will go right or left for no apparent reason until I counter in the opposite direction. Almost like having a bad servo that doesn't want to center itself.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalace View Post
Seems like my tail rotor motor/rudder has a mind of it's own now after doing some hover flights yesterday.

Sometimes it will go right or left for no apparent reason until I counter in the opposite direction. Almost like having a bad servo that doesn't want to center itself.
Are these the stock servos or aftermarket? It should be rock solid. Is this at very low altitudes, as your rotor wash can make that happen. Try getting it up several feet and then hover.

That pack works fine with stock motor, it is the same one I use. The important thing is that it must be a 3s. The ma's do not matter, the only limitations is physical size and weight.

"what connections are you using? Do you use an adapter at the esc?"

kdean, no, I have replaced the 3.5mm with 4.0mm so that it matches the packs I use in my fixed wing aircraft.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Stock servos, but as you know no servo controls the rudder. You might be onto something with the height thing as this only seems to happen before taking off, once hovering 2-3ft it hasn't happened, thank goodness!

I just dialed out some of the rudder mixing on the transmitter so I will see if this helps later today...
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:02 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,613 Posts
#3 its alive, its alive...

Just got #3 back together, had to track the blades. I dont think the rods between the servos and the swash are at the proper length. Had to adjust the pitch % from the controler and shorten the upper rods to get the right relative pitch.

I did a hover test and it wants to fly back alot, i think this is due to the elevator servo rod not being the right length, but I trimed it out. She hovers very solid, no tail wag. But, there is a slight wabble once in the air.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Its not that bad to effect the flight but it is noticeable and I dont like to see it.

When I get a chance i will blog the instaltion of the TGY 90S servos.

About the batteries.

How much flight time do you get from the 2000+ mah batteries? And, would this extra flight time put more strees on the motor, ultimately shortening the motors life span?
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:29 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,613 Posts
I also had to remove the tail motor fuse i got from rtf heli. It dose not work. It was never used before so it cant be blown. I need to contact them...
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
twalace, you are right, no servo for rudder. Probably just the propwash thing. I sometimes practice staying low, because it helps my reflexes as you do not know what the Heli is going to do, and it is mild enough so that you can react without overreacting.

kdean, I have not tested the time, but it has over 80% more capacity (real world will be less) so I am thinking 12 or so minutes. Will let you know when I get to test it out more. In regards to extra flight time putting extra stress, it depends on if the motor is running too hot (and also the electronics), which the stock motor does anyway, that is the main reason they do not last long. If a 2s lipo was used, the motor would last much longer due to less heat generated, but the power would not be high enough for the V400 to fly properly. I burned out V400#2's stock motor using the stock packs in only 25 flights. That is the best reason to go to brushless, because the design is more efficient in how it converts electricity to mechanical power which allows it to take the same power (voltage) and produce more mechanical power and less heat, so they also last much longer. Heat is the killer.

SpadCat