SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:51 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Yes i use it everyday also. With securing ground bars at my cell sites. I work for metro pcs. But i dont go back the next day to check on it. Usually its a month or so , so of coarse its dry by then . I flew today and put some compressed air to the spots but its still wet a bit. My new tail was just like stock lol. I was happy to have the 400 air born again. I think i will try the brushless tail mod soon. I want a solid heli . And for that you need to be able to trust the tail.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:42 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Hey wasp,

about the two brushless esc thing. That tail esc version is an earlier 'wk 10a t' and in true walkera fasion they wanted to confuse you by putting 'brushed' on the sticker. It is an brushless esc that can read brushed signals.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:23 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
I just relized that my locktite is metal to metal , says do not use on plastic. So my question is there plastic locktite? Super glue? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Yes i use it everyday also. With securing ground bars at my cell sites. I work for metro pcs. But i dont go back the next day to check on it. Usually its a month or so , so of coarse its dry by then . I flew today and put some compressed air to the spots but its still wet a bit. My new tail was just like stock lol. I was happy to have the 400 air born again. I think i will try the brushless tail mod soon. I want a solid heli . And for that you need to be able to trust the tail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:34 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Heli Biggie, I know it really doesn't matter but the thread lock that has air getting to it takes a long time to dry. I spilled some out in the garage a month ago and its still not dry. Its the absents of air that makes it work(anaerobic)The thread lock thats in the threads with all the air squeezed out locks the threads. I looked at the instructions on my red and blue locktite and it says nothing about letting it dry. Only to prepare the surfaces first.
I guess I missed the post where your tail motor went out. Were you able to bring it down safely? Did it give any warning? I had a tail motor go out on my V370D 01 a few months ago and totaled the heli. I think the tail motor that goes in the new V370D 05 is better. I'll get one of those when available.
I have one more brushed motor to go through on the V400D and then its brushless time. I'm hoping by then you guys have the brushless tail all work out and tested.
Yeah HeliBiggie , metal to metal is locktite and metal to plastic or plastic to plastic is super glue.
Kdean, is everything ok there?
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Last edited by barnstorm100; Aug 26, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:55 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Hey wasp,

about the two brushless esc thing. That tail esc version is an earlier 'wk 10a t' and in true walkera fasion they wanted to confuse you by putting 'brushed' on the sticker. It is an brushless esc that can read brushed signals.
I got that when I googled the p/n. Thanks.

That ESC could have a real hardware signal converter inside in front of a BL ESC, or it can be a BL ESC with special firmware to support taking a signal for driving a brushed motor as input. (That may be one thing we can all do if the AVR on an ESC is not locked. That should be easier than reprogramming the 2614V for double brushless.)

Still not sure why we keep the stock ESC on double BL though.

About the ground wire thing, I am no grounding expect. The RC signal is a lot higher in amplitude than those coming from a pickup or mic. And it is also supposed to be PWM not AM. Hence the RC signal should be less sensitive to noise than your pre-amp/mic input.

Having said that, I think it is common sense not to have a setup that would route motor current via the ESC input or RX ground wire.

We do have servo current running through the RX ground wire normally when the servos get their power from via the RX sockets.

Servos were not supposed to take too much current but if you are using big digital metal gear servos, it may be a different story.

If you run into trouble, you may want to rewire them in a special way.

Confused?
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
No, not yet.

I think the reason for keeping the stock esc, at least for me, is that 'power check' thing. I'm still not sure what resistor to use to bypass this port. I keeped one of those big round capacitor looking things from an old stock esc, but not sure it is the right thing for the job. If you could post some pics and details on that little setup it may be easier for me, and others here, to understand and implement.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Hey barn,

everything is back to normal now. Irene droped some rain and really strong wind. There is not much structural damage, but the trees got beat up really bad. Some of the out island, that took a direct hit from the center, did lose some roofs and minor flooding, but there is no loss of life here in the Bahamas. I just hope these trailing winds are out-a-here by sunday. This is my last weekend before its back to work/school, and i wanna get some air time....
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:01 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,021 Posts
Hi guys, just an update on what I thought was a tail glitch. I think it probably is a main motor "misfire" or "cough," having to do with my Rx some how. I have tried the Alpha 400 motor, and it coughed frequently. I am using the Esky motor now, and it coughes at least once per pack, and sometimes even during spooling while the heli is still on the ground. And, I could swear the motor did this cough thing with the stock brushed motor, although it was very much subdued because the stock motor is weaker. I have tried two different brushless ESCs as well as two different stock brushed ESCs, and the behavior was the same. The only electric part not changed out is the Rx.

I tried working with the Tail Mix pot on the Rx, too. This had no effect on the coughing motor, and it had little effect on tail swing right after lift-off. I guess the little ole stock tail motor can't spool quickly enough to counter the powerful brushless main motor. The good news is that the motor behavior seems to have little overall consequence. Other than being annoying, and sometimes scary, the heli seems to continue working just fine. So, as far as I can tell, I will be living with this behavior for the time being.

Hey, Kdean, glad to hear things are going well with you and yours.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:09 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Here my rear end freshly painted. Its not gege metal boom but its good for me.

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:26 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
622 Posts
Quote:
Here my rear end freshly painted. Its not gege metal boom but its good for me.

Nice color!
and nice helipad...

I guess the yellow will make it easier to spot when flying (when there are dark background),
while when at place with light background the black in the canopy will make it easier to spot
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
622 Posts
hi guys..

Wanted to ask.. do u know what is the minimum C required on our v400 batteries?
i thinking of buying some (same voltage) lipo for my v400
but i cant find the one with same connector, so i going to buy different connectors one and solder up the banana plug (not sure what it called)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:48 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Mine does fine with 15c.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
622 Posts
Quote:
Mine does fine with 15c.
thanks Biggie

at first i worried about 15C cause the wire from the lipo kinda thin
but if 15c can do it, than i can buy the big-lama battery.. there are a lot in my place
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
Mine is 1800mah . Gives me lobger fly time . And yes i had to resolder new plugs on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1741 View Post
thanks Biggie

at first i worried about 15C cause the wire from the lipo kinda thin
but if 15c can do it, than i can buy the big-lama battery.. there are a lot in my place
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
622 Posts
Quote:
Mine is 1800mah . Gives me lobger fly time . And yes i had to resolder new plugs on.
oic.. i plan to get one and re-solder the plug too
i not sure what its call.. not sure is it called 3.5mm banana plug

Anyway one disadvantage of this plug is we can accidentally plug 2 battery together