HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:03 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
This is great! I work off my kitchen table and gets sort of cluttered at times. I would like to take all this stuff out of sight but oh well. The was guest bed room is an exercise room w/small hide-a-bed for guests who almost never use it. If I could get that bed out of there I'd have a corner and most of a wall to work with.

Jack
Your extra room would probably get much more use as a heli room than as a guest bedroom or an exercise room..... (i'm just sayin' ) So do what I did and just make it a full fledge heli room (tho to be fair, I do still have the guest bed in here, but just pushed as far into the corner as I could )
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Hey Dilberto, did you try taking off the main blades and then spooling up to flying speed? I just held mine and changed the throttle around while tilting the heli like it was flying to see if I could get it to misbehave. I pretty much flew out a pack with the heli in my hand.

Did you check the tightness of all nuts, screws, bolts, and ball links in the head and swashplate? Are all your blades perfectly balanced? Are your main blades the right tightness? Have you slapped the stock motor back on to see if the problem still persists?

I hate to ask you such rookie questions, but these are all the types of issues that I have encountered lately working with mine. My latest issue is trying to find out why my blade tracking appears bad at the start of a battery, and then improves steadily as I fly through the pack.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,356 Posts
You guys need to make sure ur swash moves up and down level , all the way. All 3 servos moving at the same time? Maybe redo the pitch from scratch. Servo horns at 90 %, swash level and in mid of shaft. Then finally tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hey Dilberto, did you try taking off the main blades and then spooling up to flying speed? I just held mine and changed the throttle around while tilting the heli like it was flying to see if I could get it to misbehave. I pretty much flew out a pack with the heli in my hand.

Did you check the tightness of all nuts, screws, bolts, and ball links in the head and swashplate? Are all your blades perfectly balanced? Are your main blades the right tightness? Have you slapped the stock motor back on to see if the problem still persists?

I hate to ask you such rookie questions, but these are all the types of issues that I have encountered lately working with mine. My latest issue is trying to find out why my blade tracking appears bad at the start of a battery, and then improves steadily as I fly through the pack.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:19 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Hi Heli Biggie, that's true--I do need to a better job of that. One of the more difficult things I've encountered is getting the servo horns all at 90 degrees. Neither the stock servos nor the EXIs seem to all center the same. And, with the tx 2603 there is no way to adjust the servos individully. Can this be done with Subtrim in the 2801? What approach do you use?

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:31 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
With the 2801, sub trim can fix it. Without it, you will have to adjust the links to the swash. Best to use somekind of swash leveler, or if you trust your eyes, you can eyeball it with a flat part of the frame.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:57 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Hi Kdean, I think I did a pretty good job of eyeballing the swash, but without the sub-trim feature I couldn't get all the servo horns at 90 degrees. So, while I did adjust the links to level the swash, the angles of the servo horns cause the swash to tilt ever so slightly as I increase the throttle. No doubt in my mind that this causes some instability in the heli. Now days, I have the 2801, but I have yet to go through the whole adjustment process again. It's just so much fun having it fly at all.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
Are all your servos the same brand and type? They should travel at the same speed and the same distance.... So, if you adjust the individual links they should move the swash up and down at the same level.

I know what you mean about set-up. With all the crashing my 450s were going through, I eyeballed alot of things and let my thumbs make the corrections while I fly.

No outdoor flying for a couple days, getting ready for Huricane Irene. I did take the M120 to the park this morning, enjoying the calm before the storm.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Good luck with that huricane -- I hope it passes right by without a hitch.

Yes, all the servos are the same and do travel at the same speed. But, when the servo horns are at different angles, the throw of the links will be ever so slightly different. When I go through my set up next time, I'll just use sub-trim to put all servo horns at 90 degrees, and then I'll level the swash with the links.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Dilberto, just one other thought -- how are you securing your battery? I've been using a velcrow patch to hold my battery, but now I think I'll use a velcrow strap to reduce any vibrations.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,356 Posts
R you saying no to the top selections and yes to the bottom , whats the difference?

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
Hold on biggie,

The prop looks good.

Now, i just saw the post from gege about the walkera 10a t esc being different than the walkera 10a t esc. To be safe, go with one of those he posted, there cheaper anyway.

Now when you get this special wk 10a t esc, you will not need the signal convertor.

That motor you have there is wrong. You need the turnigy 2211-1700kv from hobbyking.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:44 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,356 Posts
K, special esc, prop, and motor , sounds less pricey. I will get ready for this, next time my tail motor dies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Flying Backward

Hey Kdean, I was trying some of that backward stuff. I don't know about that. Its like starting to learn to fly all over. I might just let it go for now.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Hey Kdean, I was trying some of that backward stuff. I don't know about that. Its like starting to learn to fly all over. I might just let it go for now.
I hope your using a sim. Its hard at first, but once you get used to it, your flying skills will improve greatly. When you learn how to turn in the four different orientations (forward, backward, forward inverted, backward inverted) there will be no angle your heli can get into that you cant fly out of.