SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:09 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,406 Posts
@dilberto 1662: Thanks! You know, it has been a while since I did all this but best I can recall the bracket had more effect than servos. It may not look like it but replacing servos and fabricating the bracket were major deals.

It is incredible how much the top part of the frame above the main gear moves. Walkera had to hack such a big hole in the frame to accommodate the main gear I think it created a design flaw. For $130 for a RTF V400D02 what can you say? I can't really "AFFORD" to criticize any of it, just try to make it better. So far, I like it a lot but I have to be very careful where and when I fly it because about all I can do half good at this point is hover which is okay. After hours, I usually fly it at my office which has short berber carpet. Controlled environment helps me learn how to fly it easier and work any bugs out in the absence of any wind. I really enjoy this one when I get to fly it.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:52 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
navigator, I checked the gear mesh and noticed that it was a little tighter on one part of the main gear than the rest, so I adjusted the gear mesh. It's looser now but still has the wobble just as bad

barnstorm, about the servos, it's possible this could be the problem, but right now i'm leaning against it. When I turn the gyro gain down the wobble becomes a very quick vibration. Also with the blades off and the motor running high, I can't seem to get any abnormalities. If the bracket doesn't help then i'll try the servos next. Oh, and nice flying there, good catch after you hit the tree I couldn't quite make out when it hit the branch, but I saw it drop almost to the ground, and then noticed that you hovered for a bit while your heartbeat returned closer to normal

chopperjack, I completely believe that the bracket took a good deal of time to make. A lot of these things are more difficult than they sound. It sounds so easy the way some people write about it though You're going about learning the helicopter the right way. Taking it slow at the beginning is good, I sometimes tend to get ahead of myself and that usually doesn't end well I have been getting better though, slowly but surely. I'm pretty comfortable just flying around, but I could really use some more practice flying in orientations I usually avoid when just free flying.

That's about it on the heli front here. I spent some time today cleaning up my work space here, because when i get into fixing these things it looks like a tornado came through (or as we call them here, a tore-nater) Not planning on working on anything tonight, my buddy is getting married this weekend so we're taking him out on the town
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:08 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,852 Posts
Dilberto, here's the pictures I promised. Sorry about the bad angles, but best I could do with a keychain camera. If you need better detail, I'm going to have to find my digital (or ask the wife) I just screwed it into the original bolt holes, no huhu
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:41 AM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I do have a helipal blow up diagram, but i would have to email it to you. Or you may be able to find it at helipal.com
Thanks Kdean I think I have that one was posted here earlier I am after a part number listing as when i type in Walkera parts into Fleebay they are very non discript in model info that the parts suit. Question are most Walkera parts interchangeable?

Thanks Again Guys Great Thread
Trelos05 is offline Find More Posts by Trelos05
Last edited by Trelos05; Aug 19, 2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
Wobble in flight but not on bench

Just another thought...Have you checked the ball links? If they are too tight the force required to overcome it can cause the servo to push to far...making the gyro compensate back again...and the cycle just continues.
LymanV is offline Find More Posts by LymanV
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:23 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
I flew my V400D this moring. I practiced my circles and didn't do as good as I had hoped. I did ok with the CW but CCW I still need practice. My FP helis I can do both directions with no problem. When I take my BlueRay out to the field I can do both directions because I have plenty of room.
So, maybe the room is the problem. Anyway, I'm not done with circles till I can do both direction in that small park with the V400D. Yesterday I went too high and knocked off a small branch out of the tree. I didn't panic and kept the throttle on and saved it(again)
V400D 02 Small Park 8-18-2011.avi (4 min 40 sec)
Hey Barn,

Looks like your ready for piro hovers and backward flying. After you get these skills down your orientation in upright flying will be solid. Small circles in tight spaces takes alot of practice. I found it hard to not go speeding off in a certain direction once I get the nose around. It was a lack of elevator control that was freaking me out. Its nice to have a safe "run off" area.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Hey Barn,

Looks like your ready for piro hovers and backward flying. After you get these skills down your orientation in upright flying will be solid. Small circles in tight spaces takes alot of practice. I found it hard to not go speeding off in a certain direction once I get the nose around. It was a lack of elevator control that was freaking me out. Its nice to have a safe "run off" area.
Hi Kdean, What are piro hovers? If they are what I think they are I'm good at those already. I'm not sure of the names of all these things are yet. Rolls, flips, loops,
You already helped me when I was tring the outside figure 8s. You viewed my video and said I was afraid of the rudder. You were right. I forced myself to use more rudder and that was the ticket. Flying backward is going to be hard for me. At least turning backward.
I went out to the flying field today for the first time in a while. I flew 7 packs through the BlueRay and 2 through the V400D. I was doing some nice circles both directions with the blueRay and the V400D.
A guy came out there with his new nitro 700 Trex. He was a good pilot and did good flying it. He did a real nice auto rotation and had a great landing. He turned his back on it and while walking away he turned off the throttle hold but it was still in stunt mode and the motor was still running. Oh well, time to rebuild it.
The other guy crashed his Trex450 right in front of him for a unknown reason.
They were both amazed at the way the V400 flew.
Hobby partz is having a 10% off the GensAce battieries, so I got 2 more of the 1550 MAh 25c batts for the V400 and one more 2200MAh 25c for the BlueRay. Free shipping over fifthy dollars. I also got some LED lights for my LM400D to fly in the park at night.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Last edited by barnstorm100; Aug 19, 2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: adding
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:05 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Lyman, that got me thinking and I looked over my servos and the ball links real good. I noticed that my elevator servo wasn't as secure as it should be because I rearranged the wiring without changing the bracket location. The bracket definitely needed to be secured better, so I did that but unfortunately it didn't help the wobble
I'm getting ready to place the order for the rtf tail bracket, so hopefully this helps. If not it's new cyclic servos...

Since my helis aren't flying right now, I took the traxxas emaxx out to the park. The rc truck track is under repair, but there are some great mounds of dirt to climb I attached a picture below of the truck with my old pup. oh, and if you're wondering, I drove the rc truck to that location, not place it there
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:37 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Here are some vids I watch to find things to practice.

This first one is what most of us is, or should be, practicing. Circles (forward and backward). He also does inverted. As soon as I learn to get my heli inverted, and hover it there, I could then start doing circles. I've been practicing alot of transition to inverted and hover, then transition back to upright cleanly.

Learning to fly in circles - RC heli flight school v1.1 (5 min 26 sec)

Figure 8's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FYNlCJ6AoDs

Piro Hover is talked about at the start of this one. He also goes into inverted but work on that when you get there....

Piro flips and travel - RC heli flight school v1.1 (9 min 30 sec)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,188 Posts
I have seen to many videos where the canopy just pops off during flight and totals the heli. So i am trying rubber dip in the holes. This should keep it on snug. Also today i went to show off my 120 and didnt realize my tx was set to v400 , it had me scratching my head till i got home and figured it out . A real homer simpson moment. Doh!
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 21, 2011, 01:12 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
Dilberto, here's the pictures I promised. Sorry about the bad angles, but best I could do with a keychain camera. If you need better detail, I'm going to have to find my digital (or ask the wife) I just screwed it into the original bolt holes, no huhu
Thanks for the pics, I've been hunting around for something that will work for brackets like that. I went through some ikea furniture leftover parts and found some little angle brackets (hmmm, wonder why those shelves keep falling over ), but they are a little too big for the heli. I was going to place an order for the tail bracket, but rtf heli is out of stock. They're suppose to be back in stock in about 2 days so I guess I'll wait. Even with that tail support bracket, I'd like to try to support it a little better up front too, so I might try something similar to what you have there.

Since my helis are still out of commission, I hung up some shelves in my work area to store my helis on. Since I realize this heli hobby is here to stay (and grow.... ) I've been trying to get organized. It's work in progress..... How do you all stay organized?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 01:17 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I have seen to many videos where the canopy just pops off during flight and totals the heli. So i am trying rubber dip in the holes. This should keep it on snug. Also today i went to show off my 120 and didnt realize my tx was set to v400 , it had me scratching my head till i got home and figured it out . A real homer simpson moment. Doh!
Let me know how that rubber dip goes. I just keep adding layers of electrical tape, but I also worry one day the canopy will just pop off Oh, and those homer simpson moments, yeah... i've also had a few of those with the choppers
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:04 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
hey guys,

Just put in another $300 order for heli stuff. Mostly upgrades and spares for the 500. Also some things to get both my 450's in the air. I still cant to aford to crash the 500, but I do have the parts to make a few mistakes on the 450's. I'm working on getting inverted comfortalby, and holding a solid hover. Its time to start expanding my 'bag of tricks'.

I did not order anything for the V400 #1, though it has been on my mind, and in my carts..... I'm going to keep the 400's in the hanger for a while. They are too delicate, and expensive to repair. Now that I'm trying more advanced manovers, I want to use a heli that can take a hit. After I've mastered getting inverted and controling the heli, I'll bring out the 400's and let them get in on some of the action. The 450's are tough and cheap to repair.

The 500 will only be doing hovers and basic ff flight, just to get a feel for the extra size. It too, is on the "do not crash" list. There will be no pilot error on that one.

I'm still working on the V400 brushless tail. Not feeling to confident in the bigger 3200kv motor, its throttle controll is not in small enough increments to handel the precision that a tail rotor needs. I'm getting ready to install the turnigy motor and exceed 10a esc. There is just not enough time in the night, when everyone is sleeping and dont bother me, to get all my heli projects done. Not to mention the $$$.

Anyway, If my wife finds this thread, I'm sure divorce would be in our future. I should feel bad sneeking heli parts into the house, but I dont.....
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:12 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Brushless tail mod - take two

Turnigy 2211-1700 motor, comes with prop adaptor. Exceed 10A volcano esc. Not shown - various props and high speed signal convertor.

Name: 19082011672.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 241.2 KB
Description:
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
35 Posts
Bonjour

utilise le contrôleur Walkera 10a-t et tu n' auras pas besoin du convertisseur.

uses the Walkera 10 a - t controller and you will not need the converter.
gegedampleux is offline Find More Posts by gegedampleux