SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:38 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,922 Posts
I was going to say blades too loose, but someone beat me to it Mine likes it best when the blades are pretty tight....that just sounded wrong somehow
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:24 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
hey wasp, thanks for the advice on the heli and the microwave you're right on the money with those switches, but i'm going to order a new switch and replace it rather than the whole microwave (it's only about 5yrs). Then I can take part of what i saved on not replacing the microwave and spend it on a new heli instead, which would make it a mostly wife approved heli purchase

About the plastic pieces between the upper and lower frame, I'll start with zip ties and go from there securing it more as I go. Hopefully one of these things mentioned is the culprit. I think i'm going to start with the easiest to test and go from there, and you can't get any easier than just adding zip ties! Hopefully i'll get a chance to work on it soon.
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:25 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
I was going to say blades too loose, but someone beat me to it Mine likes it best when the blades are pretty tight....that just sounded wrong somehow
haha, there are a couple of things i've written about helis and then thought twice about when i re-read it
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:58 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
One more thing about better attaching the upper part of the frame to the lower part of the frame. It looks like on the rtf-heli site their tail reinforcement holds the tail to the bottom frame better. I'm wondering if by doing that it also holds the top frame to the bottom frame better (by way of the tail)? I don't have that and if that could help I might buy it. They also that has something that goes between the two frames that they say strengthens the frame. Anybody else have it and think it works?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,922 Posts
Instead of using the RTF tail reinforcement, I just used a piece of 1/4 brass angle to hold the upper to the lower frame. Just drill holes for the screws. I haven't broken a tail brace since this repair.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:16 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
How about a pic. I wanted to do a brace also. .

Quote:
Instead of using the RTF tail reinforcement, I just used a piece of 1/4 brass angle to hold the upper to the lower frame. Just drill holes for the screws. I haven't broken a tail brace since this repair.
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:36 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,922 Posts
I won't be able to post till tomorrow, but when I have the camera out, I'll take some snaps and post them.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:58 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
I won't be able to post till tomorrow, but when I have the camera out, I'll take some snaps and post them.
that's cool, I'm looking forward to seeing that. I'm really close to buying the rtf heli tail reinforcement. I'm running out of ideas here as to what could be causing the vibration. Today I loosened the gear mesh because i noticed that on about 1/4 of the main gear, there wasn't really any play between the pinion and main gear. I had hopes but unfortunately I couldn't see any improvement in the vibration. I also did all I could to get the servos to fail while bench testing, but they seemed solid as a rock..... I had already given that heli a bunch of new parts but the only thing that could cause vibration that I can think of that I didn't replace was the feathering shaft. I couldn't get the 450 feathering shaft to fit the walkera screws, and by rolling my current v400 feathering shaft right up against an align feathering shaft, the v400 seemed extremely straight. I'm pretty sure it's not bent and not causing the issue, but besides that most the other important parts are new.

I did put a zip tie around the tail and bottom frame and that seemed to dampen the vibrations a little. This leads me to think the next logical step is to better secure the top part of the frame to the bottom part. I'm interested in the brass L brackets, but i'm willing to fork up the cash for the rtf heli tail brace if that will help. It's very possible that after reinforcing the frame I still have this vibration (which becomes my wobble when the gyro gains are up), but i'm going to keep up the investigation till i find the answer
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:29 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Yes, it is possible that after reinforcing the frame you still have the wobble - or not. The wobble I had pretty much went away after I did this:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/..._-Sharee-_-Top

It started with a really bad wobble which was driving me nuts. Then I noticed how the upper and lower housing could be easily moved (as stated in a previous post) and noted this as a design flaw. I used cable ties to try to reinforce upper and lower (as in previous post). This helped some. All of this is AFTER replacing stock servos with Hitec HS-65MG analog metal gear servos. This required completely readjusting everything.

I fabricated this bracket out of a thin piece of RF shield from the RF board of a Motorola Radius GM300 mobile two-way radio. The goal was to stabilize the upper and lower frame by tyeing them together more securely. I was going to do both sides but after two days messing with this, I decided to just try it and if it worked leave well enough alone. It worked. There is a small very short duration not so noticeable wobble when the blades spin up to flying speed but once at flying speed, it is very stable.

Since everyone has reported experiences and conclusions similar to mine, just thought I would share. I'm curious what this RTF stabilizer is. What I have done is probably a bit extreme. I'm sure someone has come up with something simpler.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,135 Posts
Evening All,

Just bought one of these birds second hand off Fleebay Australia, after following some of the guys over here from the 9053 thread. ( Sorry ) Question does anyone have a part number breakdown list for this bird so I can source bits off Fleebay?

Cheers
Trelos05 is offline Find More Posts by Trelos05
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:13 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
I do have a helipal blow up diagram, but i would have to email it to you. Or you may be able to find it at helipal.com
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Yes, it is possible that after reinforcing the frame you still have the wobble - or not. The wobble I had pretty much went away after I did this:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/..._-Sharee-_-Top

It started with a really bad wobble which was driving me nuts. Then I noticed how the upper and lower housing could be easily moved (as stated in a previous post) and noted this as a design flaw. I used cable ties to try to reinforce upper and lower (as in previous post). This helped some. All of this is AFTER replacing stock servos with Hitec HS-65MG analog metal gear servos. This required completely readjusting everything.

I fabricated this bracket out of a thin piece of RF shield from the RF board of a Motorola Radius GM300 mobile two-way radio. The goal was to stabilize the upper and lower frame by tyeing them together more securely. I was going to do both sides but after two days messing with this, I decided to just try it and if it worked leave well enough alone. It worked. There is a small very short duration not so noticeable wobble when the blades spin up to flying speed but once at flying speed, it is very stable.

Since everyone has reported experiences and conclusions similar to mine, just thought I would share. I'm curious what this RTF stabilizer is. What I have done is probably a bit extreme. I'm sure someone has come up with something simpler.
Interesting little bracket you made there. I would like to try some sort of reinforcement too, and hopefully that will make the wobble go away. The rtf heli tail bracket can be seen on this page http://rtf-heli.com/WALKERA_V400D02_M_BRUSHLESS.html under Metal Tail Boom Support Mount. It is more made to keep the tail holder from breaking, but I think it will also help support the frame. I haven't ordered it yet because I still wasn't completely convinced the frame was the issue, but i'm leaning more and more toward that.

oh, did your wobble start after you replaced the servos, or did you replace the servos because of the wobble?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Dilberto, I still wonder if the gear mesh is at least part of the issue. When the lock screw in the pinion is facing the center of the main gear, the pinion is at it's nearest approach to the main gear. With the lock screw in that position, I shifted the motor until I had a bit of free play between the two gears--an amount of play similar to the ole paper between the gear trick. When I got it right, I could pull the periphery of the main gear and easily turn over the motor, which was not easily done before adjusting. This seemed to fix my wobble.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Dilberto, I still wonder if the gear mesh is at least part of the issue. When the lock screw in the pinion is facing the center of the main gear, the pinion is at it's nearest approach to the main gear. With the lock screw in that position, I shifted the motor until I had a bit of free play between the two gears--an amount of play similar to the ole paper between the gear trick. When I got it right, I could pull the periphery of the main gear and easily turn over the motor, which was not easily done before adjusting. This seemed to fix my wobble.
Hi, I'm still voting for the servos as the problem.

I flew my V400D this moring. I practiced my circles and didn't do as good as I had hoped. I did ok with the CW but CCW I still need practice. My FP helis I can do both directions with no problem. When I take my BlueRay out to the field I can do both directions because I have plenty of room.
So, maybe the room is the problem. Anyway, I'm not done with circles till I can do both direction in that small park with the V400D. Yesterday I went too high and knocked off a small branch out of the tree. I didn't panic and kept the throttle on and saved it(again)
V400D 02 Small Park 8-18-2011.avi (4 min 40 sec)
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Last edited by barnstorm100; Aug 28, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:58 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Wasssup....

Due to weather, I have not been able to fly anything. Wind and rain again. It looks like i'll be doing the maiden hover of my 500 in the livingroom. Its bringing back memories of my first hovers with my v400 #1. At that time I was afraid that i might fly into my flat screen, but now am afraid that something will go wrong with the heli, and have it end up busting through my tv.

In the mean time, i found a new 'free' sim that has better flight realism that fms. Its called helisimrc and it is a free download for pc. It works with my dynam 6ch sim controler, and even does auto-rotate. It does feel more like the real thing than fms, and you can even program things like pitch and throttle curves, gyro gain, motor kv, pinion size, weight of heli, wind, expotentials, all the stuff you would expect from a $100+ SIM. It even keeps a session log that you can save, and record save and replay your flights. The week part of the sim is the sound, but you can hear the motor bogging under load. Very nice, and free...

Anyway, i'm gunna set my pitches tonight, and if its still raining tomorrow i'll be moving the couch and maybe put a blanket over the tv.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean