HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:53 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
Hey Heli Biggie, if you're using the 2801 Tx, I think you can set an alarm for when the voltage of the Tx battery gets too low. I also use the timer feature so that I don't burn too deep into my batteries.

It is nice, though, that the heli went down to what appeared to be a gentle landing.

Hmmmm, what kind of tail glitch was it having: minor twitch, intermittent jerk, constant wagging, etc?
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
1,986 Posts
It was not a minor tail jerk. At 1 point it spun all the way around and i wasnt ready for that . I had my throttle curve set as a flat line of 80, and when i hit that switch, it went crazy. But before that it was just little jerks.

The winds died down so i took out the v120

v120d02 go pro test.MP4 (5 min 36 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hey Heli Biggie, if you're using the 2801 Tx, I think you can set an alarm for when the voltage of the Tx battery gets too low. I also use the timer feature so that I don't burn too deep into my batteries.

It is nice, though, that the heli went down to what appeared to be a gentle landing.

Hmmmm, what kind of tail glitch was it having: minor twitch, intermittent jerk, constant wagging, etc?
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:56 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
It was not a minor tail jerk. At 1 point it spun all the way around and i wasnt ready for that . I had my throttle curve set as a flat line of 80, and when i hit that switch, it went crazy. But before that it was just little jerks.

The winds died down so i took out the v120

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcbFx...e_gdata_player
Hey Heli Biggie. your having way too much fun That camera is really good quality. It makes me want to go brushless. What batteries are you using in V400D and V120? How long can you fly?
Ha ha, your an addict ha ha ha
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Last edited by barnstorm100; Aug 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,660 Posts
I put new main and tail motors and a new main gear in my V400. Of course it works good. That thing is almost silent.
Here's a video of my V370D with a walk through the small park by my house with a crash at the end. The main motor went out with out warning. I would have put the crash at the beginning, but it would make for a boring video.
V370D walk in the park with crash, motor went out (5 min 42 sec)
Last edited by barnstorm100; Aug 28, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:40 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW, Culburra Beach
Joined Jul 2010
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
I put new main and tail motors and a new main gear in my V400. Of course it works good. That thing is almost silent.
Here's a video of my V370D with a walk through the small park by my house with a crash at the end. The main motor went out with out warning. I would have put the crash at the beginning, but it would make for a boring video.http://youtu.be/_odJq43ddGk
So you have both the 370D05 & the V400? Can you give me your thoughts (from experience with them) on both of them flying wise, reliability etc?

Thanks
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:31 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
1,986 Posts
V400 batteries , 2 stock , and 2 blu lipo 1800mah 15c

V120 batteries, 3 stock and 3 15c packs

I did have fun yesterday . Go pro sales team says the more expensive cam has less of a fish bowl effect , but i can be spending any more money lol. I cant even tell outside anymore , but inside looks crazy , with all the walls curving .
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
So you have both the 370D05 & the V400? Can you give me your thoughts (from experience with them) on both of them flying wise, reliability etc?

Thanks
Hi simo71,
No, I have the V370D 01 I think it is? Its the brushed flybarless fixed pitch. I really like it. Really easy to fly . Hovers hands off when there's no wind.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
Hey Guys, my work with the stock brushed motor and new stock ESC continues. I think it is safe to say that my previous ESC was bad. All of the symptoms that led me to think my stock brushed motor was bad are gone. The motor is fine, it seems that all the problems were in the ESC.

This morning, I flew the stock system for 10 minutes nonstop without the canopy. After the flight, the motor was warm, but not too warm to touch indefinitely. Never before have I had the brushed motor runnng so cool. I don't know how much of a factor the new ESC is, but I'm also sure that having the canopy off is allowing motor heat to be removed more effectively. This all is making me wonder how many people are being led to think their brushed motors are bad when it may be their ESC malfunctioning or the canopy trapping heat.

What's kind of funny is that tail glitch I was so worried about is actually still there in the stock system. But with the more docile brushed motor, the glitch is much harder to see, unless you know what to look for. My thoughts are that the glitch is in the Rx, maybe it's the gyro. I'm not going to just go buy another Rx right away. So, I'll fly it this way until I am forced to buy a new Rx. At least, that's what I am thinking today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:32 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
glad to hear it sounds like most people are in the air right now mine is almost back, just waiting for some thread lock to dry..... I put it all back together and tested it and had it hovering for a minute or two. After landing and trying to take off again there was a pop because one of the screws holding my servo onto the main frame popped out. I probably just got impatient and didn't allow the thread lock to dry luckily it didn't do any damage since I was on the ground at the time.

One thing i've been wondering. What percentage d/r do you guys use, or if you even turn it on?

btw, I think the fishbowl camera style does help make it seem not so bouncy, either that or you're holding your head a lot more still
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
after waiting for the thread lock to dry, I took it out and spooled it up again. Started hovering but then it started wobbling real bad. It was everything I could do just to get it back to the landing pad safely

Not sure what it could be, maybe one of the servos. They seem to respond normal on the bench, but i'll have to do more investigation later....
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
1,986 Posts
I still think you need to mess with the tail mix on the rx.thats what its for

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hey Guys, my work with the stock brushed motor and new stock ESC continues. I think it is safe to say that my previous ESC was bad. All of the symptoms that led me to think my stock brushed motor was bad are gone. The motor is fine, it seems that all the problems were in the ESC.

This morning, I flew the stock system for 10 minutes nonstop without the canopy. After the flight, the motor was warm, but not too warm to touch indefinitely. Never before have I had the brushed motor runnng so cool. I don't know how much of a factor the new ESC is, but I'm also sure that having the canopy off is allowing motor heat to be removed more effectively. This all is making me wonder how many people are being led to think their brushed motors are bad when it may be their ESC malfunctioning or the canopy trapping heat.

What's kind of funny is that tail glitch I was so worried about is actually still there in the stock system. But with the more docile brushed motor, the glitch is much harder to see, unless you know what to look for. My thoughts are that the glitch is in the Rx, maybe it's the gyro. I'm not going to just go buy another Rx right away. So, I'll fly it this way until I am forced to buy a new Rx. At least, that's what I am thinking today.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:48 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
after waiting for the thread lock to dry, I took it out and spooled it up again. Started hovering but then it started wobbling real bad. It was everything I could do just to get it back to the landing pad safely

Not sure what it could be, maybe one of the servos. They seem to respond normal on the bench, but i'll have to do more investigation later....
normaly, a big wobble that makes it hard to control would be the gain on the gyro sens pots being to high.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,237 Posts
I would suggest dropping the power to around 50% at normal flying position on the stick! That will lessen the demand on the tail motor a lot while still giving more than adequate performance. Just my $.02 (Bout 100 problem free flights on my 1st replacement tail motor!)
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:58 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
Hi Heli Biggie, I'll definitely check into that Tail Mix setting now that I have everything else running better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:53 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,914 Posts
Hi Guys,

Say, does anyone know how to change the gyro sentivity in the 2801 for the rudder without affecting the elev, ail, and pitch? I can't seem to figure this out -- in the 2603, you can use the v1 and v2 knobs to change the rudder gain, but how is this done in the 2801?

Thanks for all your help, guys.
RCG Plus Member