SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:23 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
If you have not messed with the tail mix adjustment you may want to play with that. Everything changes when u add a more powerful motor. And this heli has the mixing on tye rx like my free spirit. Just go 1 way or the other to se whats up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hey Guys, flew a pack this morning and ironed out some weird vibration issues. But I still have that darned tail glitch. For certain, it is not the pinion gear slipping or skipping teeth on the main gear. Some of these glitches are BAD, but the main gear remains in perfect condition. The glitch seems kind of like there's a static electricity discharge in the motor or something. So, now I wonder if it is the Alpha 400 motor occassionally studdering. Is that known to happen with this motor?

I also noticed that the motor and ESC are kind of warm after 8 minutes of flight, about as warm as the LIPO gets. I don't know if this is evidence of anything, though. Anyone have any ideas on this glitching?
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Aug 06, 2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:48 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Bever View Post
another off topic question,
RTF sell a 14t pinion http://www.rtf-heli.com/Pinions.html
Will these fit on my small Walkera CB100 ? The main motor pinion is worn out but the motor still works well. Can I just replace the pinion?

Greetz!
I dont think they will fit the cb100. You shoild check out wowhobbies.com, they stock alot of stuff for the walkera micro helis.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:53 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Nav,

my alpha also gets hot after a flight. But i have two, one in a v400 and one in a 450 project, and they have been giving me no problems. Just a little hottere than i like when they come down.

Do you have a video of this problem happening?
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:42 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
My order is in. Rtf brushless upgrade kit with the 40a esc. I hope they make me a good 1. I will fly my new brushed motor while i wait for this 1. The v120 is crazy in the wind lol. And im working out a wobble at take off.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:12 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Hi Guys,

Kdean, I don't have a video of this problem, yet. I'll have to get help with the filming as I don't any hands-free camaras (I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to video). I should point out that the Alpha 400 is nowhere near as hot as the stock motor after a flight. I guess I'm just grasping at straws, here, since I can't yet figure this out.

Heli Biggie, I get what you're saying about the relationship between tail mixing and the more powerful motor. I have not fiddled with this adjustment because the tail is holding really well (except when it glitches). Whatever the problem is, it is very intermittent, and so far I cannot induce the glitch. I tried yawing the tail around both ways this morning, and it didn't seem to have any effect on the tail glitching. As far I can tell, the tail did exactly what I asked it to, it just made more noise because it is now working harder. I'm afraid that if I start messing with the Rx settings, I may just screw things up even worse.

I think I'm going to pull the blades off and then spool up to flying speed with the heli in my hand so as to get a closer look at things. Right now, I running this Alpha 400 motor at around 20% throttle at midstick--I know this sounds ridiculously low, but it very nearly approximates the stock motor output.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:47 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,285 Posts
I guess kdean or rtf needs to come up with a brushless tail mod asap. Ill email rtf. Maybe if we all email them they will put some money out to do some testing.

20% damn im gonna try and run 100%. With stock motor i was running 100 % all the time, thats how i have my stunt 2 set up.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:25 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
There is a working brushless tail somewhere in france. It uses a turnigy 2211-1700kv motor(can be found at hobbyking), the esc from the brushless 59#DQ (can be found at wowhobbies), and a 5x5 prop (can be found all over the place). It looks like he had to mount the motor on the other side of the fin, but he says it works A+++. Im sure he made some changes in the tx to get set the throttle range of the motor.

He also does some nice custom frame work.

There are some posts a few pages back, i think somewhere around 50 -60.

The motor im using is bigger and twice as fast as the one he used. (but i also have two of those motors on the way, incase i cant get mine to work). Im looking to boost the performance of my v400s'. More power.... More power..... Ha ha haaaagh

biggie, it sounds like you need to set the throttle limit between you tx and the esc. It tells you how to do it in the esc instructions. At 20% i dont even think my heli could lift-off.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:20 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
To be more specific, I set the throttle curve to be 20% at mid stick. The pitch is about +5 degrees at mid stick. At this setting, I have a bit more power than I had with the stock motor. For now, it seems good for my level of flying experience.

I took off the blades, disconnected the tail motor, and spooled up the main motor in my hand to operating speed for about 5 minutes . . . no popping effect occurred. This makes me think the popping effect has to do with the tail. So, then, I reconnected the tail motor, and did the spool up again. Still no popping effect--the Alpha 400 runs great. After spooling down, I did notice that the mesh on my tail was pretty loose, so I inspected all the teeth on the tail gear. There are a couple that look a very little bit scuffed (I needed a magnifying glass to see this). It is hard to imagine that the tail could have skipped over a couple of teeth, but the evidence seems to suggest that maybe this happened. At any rate, I tightened the tail mesh, and look forward to testing in the air tomorrow. Here's hoping . . . but if it still acts up, then maybe I'll have to consider the Tail Mix setting on the Rx.

Thanks for all your help, guys.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:07 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
going brushless would be replaceing the brushed main motor for a brushless motor and adding a brushless esc and signal convertor.

To go brushless on the tail, you will also need another small brushless motor and small esc, with a high speed signal convertor. That would make it double brushless. It is possible, but with the right stuff. Im still working on makeing my v400 #3 double brushless.
Thanks for the explanation Kdean
so usually that just mean the main motor is brushless

THis means retain the original ESC (for tail motor) and add in another ESC..

And if wanted to do for the tail too,
Have to have 2 ESC, take off the original ESC
Means one for the main motor and one for the tail motor...

Not sure i get it correct there..
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
35 Posts
pour le passage intégral brushless, for the passage full brushless,.
http://www.toyrc.com/walkera-hm-59-d...0a-t-6157.html
moteur turigny 221-1700
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=170384936932 for moteur avant
http://www.funrctoys.com/eShopWeb/pr...ISSEUR_PWM-PPM
pour le convertisseur

Jamais plus de problème Never more problem
gegedampleux is offline Find More Posts by gegedampleux
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:58 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Yipppeeee!!!

FINALLY (bad weather, then vacation, then more of bad weather), I was able to try out how my V400 flies now, with the new ESC, new main gear (the old one was sligthly bent, but I never paid much attention to it) and the main (brushed) motor from a different shop.

What should I say... the main motor gets barely warm now, after 3-4 minutes of flight!!!

I suppose I'll never know which one of the components actually was at fault, but I don't care. It flies now, like a bird!

Let's see how long it will lasts this time. If it dies on me AGAIN... I suppose I'll just go with the RTF-HELI brushless mod (I have 2603 and no plans on going 2801 soon)

Alex happy....
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:02 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Hi gegedampleux, just a short off-topic notice: we had our vacation this year in Paris... it indeed is the most stunningly beautiful city in the world!!! And the food... magnificent!

And, contrary to the popular belief, most French people we talked to speak english very well!
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:01 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
a short off-topic too
france is always a nice place.. and i wish to visit there when i have a chance too..
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
35 Posts
Bien heureux que vous appréciez la françe, et je vous dis pas en V400! surtout Paris.

Pour la configuration que je vous ais communiqué, j' ai fait une bonne centaines de vol sans rien toucher, aucune vis desserré, un vrai bonheur, par contre le model en direct drive avant, ne décolle pas, pas assez de puissance, tant pi, sinon, j' en refais un en corrigeant tout les petits points faible, et dans le futur, le refaire avec le récepteur 2702, qui simplifiera grandement l 'électronique.
Quand se sera terminé, je vous le dirais. Continuez à bien travailler vos hélico.

Gérard

Happy that you enjoy the françe, and I say not unto you in V400! especially Paris.

For the configuration that I you ais news release, I have a good hundred flight without touching anything, no loose screws, true happiness, however the model live drive before, takes, not off enough power, both pi, otherwise, I to try one by correcting all small points, and in the future, again with the receptor 2702, which will greatly simplify l ' electronics.
When is completed, the say you. Continue to work well your chopper.

Gérard
gegedampleux is offline Find More Posts by gegedampleux
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:44 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts

hey gege,

I got lost in translation. But i do have a guestion.

Why did you mount the tail motor on the other side? Is it because the prop edge works opposite to the stock prop?

I was thinking of just reversing the motor wires so the prop would spin in the right direction, but it will be spinning in the "wrong" direction, if you know what i mean.