SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hauptmann
TX
Joined Jan 2011
89 Posts
Discussion
Heng Long - Panzer IV - with pics !

Hi everyone, just jumped into tanks this past weekend and bought an HL Panzerkampfvagen IV - Ausf F2. About 20 years ago I was heavy into RC cars and can say that these Sender radios are junk. I'm not trying to be harsh but let's just say it ain't no Futaba radio.

I know, I know the HL tanks being RTR are certainly a good value for the money, but I rather cough up another $50 for at least a decent transmitter. Right gimbal was broken new out of the package. But rather than wait all weekend to return it Monday, I took it upon myself to disassemble the TX and glue all the gimbal supports with Gorrilla glue. Everything works and checks out fine now. I've ran the tank about 3-4 times and I'm really surprised on the duration for just a 1700mah battery. I wonder how long a 2200mah or even 2500mah would be ??? Oh did anyone know that 5000mah is even available ??? Anyhow, the only 'tank' issues have been the left track coming off twice. The second time ripped the hole out of the link which needed replacing.

Here's some pics of my detailing. Keep in mind that I used auto spray primers with no access to an airbrush. Let me know what you think.

Green Dragon is offline Find More Posts by Green Dragon
Last edited by Green Dragon; Jan 16, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:00 AM
Funder Struck
USA, TX, Forney
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
ID say you done good! I like it
TexasTC is offline Find More Posts by TexasTC
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:16 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Those 1700mah and 2200 batteries, do you reffer to 3cell li-po's, like used in planes? (can't see pictures here at work)
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hauptmann
TX
Joined Jan 2011
89 Posts
batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
Those 1700mah and 2200 batteries, do you reffer to 3cell li-po's, like used in planes? (can't see pictures here at work)
The Heng Long tanks come with 7.2volt 1700mah NiCad batteries. I've seen 2200 and 2500 but the latter might be NiMh (Nickel-Metal hydride) instead of NiCads.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:08 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Is there any chance you think that one could use a LiPo battery?
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:20 AM
Hauptmann
TX
Joined Jan 2011
89 Posts
LiPo battery in a tank ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
Is there any chance you think that one could use a LiPo battery?
I suppose one could try a 7.4v but I'm not sure if the +0.2v would overstress the motors or not. As for the mAh, the higher the number the longer it will last. I would think the bare minimum just to get the tank to function would be 500mAh but you'd probably only get 15-minutes of run-time. Again, the original is 7.2v 1700mAh so the closer you can match that the better. Voltage is critical though.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:42 AM
Joined Feb 2010
381 Posts
The two cell lipo of 7.4v will be fine. You will not have any problems with a lipo battery. Less weight, more power.
best wishes,
jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is online now Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:47 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
997 Posts
As Jeff V has stated the 2 cell Li-Po's will work just fine and you can get them up to 5000 MA.
GreenAmphibian is online now Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:20 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,637 Posts
I have been running mine on lipo from day one....only thing you have to worry about is low voltage....there is no LVC on these things....or at least I doubt that there is.

Just use your head and you will be fine on lipo.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Get a lipo buzzer
chanerz is offline Find More Posts by chanerz
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:49 AM
Joined Jan 2008
3 Posts
Very nice!!!!! I will be going with this camo!
So by the way one of my suspension wheel units broke after being dropped and now I am looking for a plastic replacement double wheel suspension unit for the panzer IV F2, there is no way of super glueing it! Now I am trying to find this part, I was just wondering if someone maybe has a spare unit, I will pay for it! Maybe someone has done the metal upgrade and does not need their plastic suspension wheels anymore. Please guys this is a plea to get my machine on the road again!!!

Thanks
nicvermaak is offline Find More Posts by nicvermaak
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
So many tanks, so little money
Joined Oct 2009
189 Posts
Very nice work! That is amazing for a first go on the paint work. I especially like the last picture. Two of my favorite things...Guns and tanks!
As for the controller...yes, it is junk comapred toa hobby grade radio. All of my HL tanks are now upograded to Elmod or Tamiya electronics with hobby radios.
I usually run either 4200mA or 5000 mA.
Yellowshaker is offline Find More Posts by Yellowshaker
Old May 05, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Very nice. Impressed with the paint too.
PhilaKnight is offline Find More Posts by PhilaKnight
Old May 05, 2011, 07:33 PM
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Joined Mar 2010
176 Posts
nicvermaak,
You can always email Mato to get the part.
http://matomart.com/homepage.php
buckeye36 is offline Find More Posts by buckeye36
Old May 06, 2011, 07:47 AM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Very cool - nice job on the paint !!
rmar is offline Find More Posts by rmar