Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:53 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,375 Posts
Discussion
Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200RPM Solid State Hybrid

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Moment...5207251&sr=8-1

Worth the cost to upgrade to this laptop HD ?
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Moment...5207251&sr=8-1

Worth the cost to upgrade to this laptop HD ?
It depends, is the rest of your system capable of taking advantage of those transfer rates?
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,375 Posts
Lenovo T61, XP pro, T9300 CPU.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:52 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Lenovo T61, XP pro, T9300 CPU.
Yup - think you'd notice better boot up times as long as you've got enough memory (although XP is limited to 3G).

Expensive thing to buy, though...
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:01 PM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
I don't know anything about hybrid drives really, just haven't been paying attention lately but I would hazard a guess that a true SSD would be light-years faster. So if you don't need that much space I'd go true SSD. I like OCZ, Mushkin or Intel, all have terrific support which is sometimes a necessity with SSD tech.
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:04 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
I don't know anything about hybrid drives really, just haven't been paying attention lately but I would hazard a guess that a true SSD would be light-years faster. So if you don't need that much space I'd go true SSD. I like OCZ, Mushkin or Intel, all have terrific support which is sometimes a necessity with SSD tech.
Agreed!

Better if you can have a true SSD as a Boot drive (smallish drive) and a 'normal' drive for bulk file and app storage.

Being a laptop you get restricted to a single drive!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:38 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Agreed!

Better if you can have a true SSD as a Boot drive (smallish drive) and a 'normal' drive for bulk file and app storage.

Being a laptop you get restricted to a single drive!
Not true with the Lenovo T61. I can remove the DVDRW and configure it hold a second HD instead.

On a different note, you sure can get alot of laptop these days for under $500. Check out this Asus witha Hybrid HD for $479. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...=1218291998082
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:03 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Not true with the Lenovo T61. I can remove the DVDRW and configure it hold a second HD instead.

On a different note, you sure can get alot of laptop these days for under $500. Check out this Asus witha Hybrid HD for $479. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...=1218291998082
If you are happy to loose your CD drive (or use a USB attach one), then I'd go for a smaller (cheaper?) true-SSD, say 60G, for your boot system, and keep the rest of your files on a big secondary drive.

That way you get the boot speed, save some money, and still get large storage.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,375 Posts
What do you think of that Asus for $479? I've got a friend who's looking to replace an outdated Sony Vaio, and he's looking for an entry level/mid-grade computer.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Quote:
What do you think of that Asus for $479? I've got a friend who's looking to replace an outdated Sony Vaio, and he's looking for an entry level/mid-grade computer.
Looks a nice laptop.

Decent sized storage, mid sized screen (but at 16" not as big as you could get) and a hybrid hard drive one so should be quicker for boot up, 3GB memory which is fine (and I believe the max that Win 7 32bit can use is 4GB anyway), useful Dual-Layer DVD writer and other bits (webcam, memory card reader).

Has Win 7 (thank God, rather than naff Vista!)

Dunno about value for money (as I don't know about US prices) but looks OK.

Only thing I would be suspicious of is the 4hrs battery. manufacturers normally quote more than you actually get, so I suspect 2-3hrs - which is not that great.