Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
aka Tim
Georgia
Joined Jun 2010
178 Posts
Help!
Hitec X4 for dummies?

is there an X4 for dummies? lol
I just got my X4 charger, and the instructions are very vague. heres what Im trying to cycle..
Spektrum 1500mAh 4.8V NimH
H9 12V 7Ah pb
The step instructions are too vague on what buttons to push and what settings it should be on the start program.
for example, to discharge it says to set the charge current on the left (display) , yet, it doesnt say how to get there. Nor do I have any idea what the charge current should be for this pack. It says the range of the final voltage should be .1-25.0V , I assume that means since the Rx pack is 4.8V, that should be my target final range? Whomever wrote the instructions must have assumed its new owner has already owned an X4
panzercreation is offline Find More Posts by panzercreation
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,646 Posts
I've never seen that one, but it looks like 4 generic 4 button chargers in one box so I'll take a shot until an actual X4 user comes along.

On most 4 button chargers you press start to cycle through the various settings and then press the +/- or inc/dec buttons to change the settings. When you have it the way you like, you press and hold start until it starts.

There's a manual here:
http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/Hitec%...0Manual_US.pdf

I don't know if it came with yours but the flow chart on page 7 of the PDF (printed page 10) shows you the way around the charger. The buttons to press are shown in the flow charts. The later instructions probably assume you've gotten to the right area via the flow chart. It probably looks more complicated than it really is. If you spend a little time navigating the system, (without a battery attached) you'll get comfortable with it.

Most charger manuals don't explain batteries. It's a good idea to read up on those before charging. In fact, I would really suggest stepping back and doing that first. For example, lipos may call for charging for anywhere from 1C to 10C. That's quite a range and the charger generally has no clue what you've connected so it leaves that to you. Wrong settings can lead to fires in some cases so double check what's right for the batteries you are using.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
aka Tim
Georgia
Joined Jun 2010
178 Posts
Quote:
Most charger manuals don't explain batteries. It's a good idea to read up on those before charging. In fact, I would really suggest stepping back and doing that first.
thats really what I need to do..but I dont know of a source that would explain the NiMh or pb batteries in charging/discharging to me..any idea?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:33 AM
aka Tim
Georgia
Joined Jun 2010
178 Posts
wow, theres so many helpful people on here isnt there. all the X4 owners Ive heard talking about it on here?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:01 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
If you are looking for info about lipos...a good start would be the sticky thread on top that says 'complete guide to lipos'. Besides that, there is a very useful search button for this forum. If you still have questions after that, let us know.

If you need info on nixx, this is a good start, http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran RC Pilot!
USA, GA, Holly Springs
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
panzercreation

I have one of these and have gone through all the setup and programing. I am on my way out but when I return I will post the setup for you. It is easiest to setup a program for the batteries you charge most. Each port can have 5 programed battery settings. Each will have charge, fast charge, discharge and cycling settings. I will be back tonight.
Doug S
mundo330 is offline Find More Posts by mundo330
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:03 PM
aka Tim
Georgia
Joined Jun 2010
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
If you are looking for info about lipos...a good start would be the sticky thread on top that says 'complete guide to lipos'. Besides that, there is a very useful search button for this forum. If you still have questions after that, let us know.

If you need info on nixx, this is a good start, http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html
If you had read my post you wouldve seen Im not using lipos..and Im fully aware of the search function thankyou very much, which did not show anything that answered my questions. thanks for the link though, that will be helpful.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran RC Pilot!
USA, GA, Holly Springs
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Hitec X4 Programming

panzercreation,
As I promised , here is a quick way to setup your X4. Again there are only 5 program slots but that is for each port so just repeat as necessary.
The first steps will just name the program slot and have nothing to do with the charging/discharging process. This only serves to help you remember what each program slot is for. the slots are listed as 01-05. I will designate the button names in parenthesis ie. (Batt. Type) is the first button at each port.

Start by pressing (Batt. Type) repeat until "Save Data" shows at the bottom of the screen. Then Press (Start) and the number in the brackets 01 will flash.

Press the (Inc) button until you are on the number you want to program. and press (Start)

Now the battery type will be flashing on the screen, choose type with the (Dec.)/ (Inc.) buttons, in your case NiMH. Press (Start)

Voltage will start to flash. Adjust with (Dec.)/(Inc.) To Nominal Voltage (1.2 x #cells) press (Start)

Now we will be programing the actual charge/ discharge rates

Amperage will be Flashing: Adjust with (Dec.) /(Inc.) To Pack Amperage. Press and HOLD (Start)

Press (Start) again and Current Flashes, Adjust with (Dec.)/ (Inc.) To C/10. If your pack is a 1600Mah Pack then you want to charge at 160ma or 0.2amp. Press (Start)

Press (Inc.) Once for Discharge Rate. Use (Dec.)/ (Inc.) To adjust, most packs can be discharged at 1.0amp but if in doubt choose 0.5 amp. Press (Start)

Mn (minimum voltage) will display. Adjust with (Dec.)/ (Inc.) To 1.1v /cell, example 4 cell pack is 4.4volt, six cell pack is 5.5 volt. Press (Start)

DCHG/CHG will flash choose between DCHG/CHG or CHG/DCHG (I usually prefer the discharge cycle first so my batteries are charged at the end of the cycle. Press (Start)

Adjust number of cycles with (Dec.)/ (Inc.) Then Press and HOLD (Start) wait for 3-4 beeps before you let go.

Press (Batt. Type) 7 times until “Load Data” shows on the bottom of the screen and Press (Start)
Press (Dec.)/ (Inc.) To show the number that you just programed, then press and HOLD (Start)

Connect your battery, use the (Inc.) Button to choose CHG/DCHG , then press and HOLD (Start)
Confirm by pressing (Start)

It seems cumbersome but after you program a couple of slots it becomes easy. Then you just select the program under “Load Data” and you are good to go. I programmed our 3s1p 2200Mha LiPos into all the #01 slots and my sons Heli Receiver batteries 2s1p 1600Mah Lipo into the #02 on the first port then our other batteries into the lower ports in slot #02 & #03. This charger rocks and I find everyone comes to us to charge their batteries.

Hope this helps
Doug S
mundo330 is offline Find More Posts by mundo330
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Help with Park Zone battery

I asked this question in another thread, but then found the manual here. Looks like on page 11 it has a nice diagram of how to plugin your battery pack direct to the charger. So just in case anyone else is trying to figure out how to plug in a Park zone or JST type battery check the manual. Thanks!
cavenger is offline Find More Posts by cavenger
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:05 AM
aka Tim
Georgia
Joined Jun 2010
178 Posts
thanks Doug, I appreciate you doing that.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
HiTec X4

THANK you Doug for detailed to design program on the X4. I just bought a new one, and was struggling some. Your steps helped a lot. For now I only have NiMH (new) packs for my planes with variety number of cells and MaH. Two questions:

1. You outlined the steps for constructing, saving, and loading/using a program. How about simple steps for just plugging in for fast charge? For the life of me I cannot get to "Auto" in the NiMH section ... read the manual studied the flow chart, retried all combinations of button inputs and have not found it.

2. I'm stumped (also senior citizen ..) are there 5 settings for EACH PORT? if so then ther'd be 20 possible total customizable 'programs'. OR is there 5 programs (numbered 1-5) TOTAL and each of the five may be accessed from any of the 4 terminals? I'm confused. ...

Thanks for the help - new to the forum.
RHelmer is offline Find More Posts by RHelmer
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
Had the same problem trying to switch between Man and Auto modes. Found answer on page 17 of the manual, very bottom of page, "you can make it blink in the current field and press INC and DEC simultaneosly to swap between auto and manual mode". Translated from chinglish means while the current field is blinking press INC and DEC simul.

Hope this helps.
ole_blue_moon is offline Find More Posts by ole_blue_moon
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,403 Posts
I have an X4 too, its' not easy for a newbie. I'm new to the RC hobby and have a lot to learn especially about batteries and chargers.

I can't figure out yet: how does the charger know when the battery pack is fully charged and what causes the charger to turn off? Is there something I must set to insure that the charger cuts off at the correct point? I'm working with Ni-mh packs for starters.

When setting the discharge rate is there a time element involved, say you set the discharge rate at .5 amps how long does the pack discharge at that rate, ia there something I need to set here?

Thank you.
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:50 PM
massachusetts, usa
Joined Dec 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I have an X4 too, its' not easy for a newbie. I'm new to the RC hobby and have a lot to learn especially about batteries and chargers.

I can't figure out yet: how does the charger know when the battery pack is fully charged and what causes the charger to turn off? Is there something I must set to insure that the charger cuts off at the correct point? I'm working with Ni-mh packs for starters.

When setting the discharge rate is there a time element involved, say you set the discharge rate at .5 amps how long does the pack discharge at that rate, ia there something I need to set here?
Thank you.
it can be confusing! (and i may still be!)
the chgr knows to stop the chrg, by a detection circuit. ALTHOUGH, every time i charge a nicad or nimh pack it ALWAYS over shoots the pack rated capacity. you can adjust this by setting a diff. millivolt ? detection value.. which i have not tried. im using the SAME mV setting as my hobbico elite chgr (which NEVER overshoots on charge). so maybe the detection circuit is just diff. ?? you can also set a "max charge capacity" on a charge. i will usually set this to a little ABOVE the packs rated capacity. you can also set a "max time limit" for the charge. so not to over chrg a pack...

discharge: a dischrg cycle is to discharge a pack to a preset voltage. you can set that voltage, and the setting will be specific to the type of pack you're using. a nimh 4.8v pack should be dischged to 1.1v per cell, =4.4 for rc use. (pls double check my numbers here), a balanced dischrg of li ion 2s pack is ok to dischrg to 6v.
if the disch is at 500mah's and it takes one hour, you will have sucked 1000mah's out of the pack, so you can see the rate of disch relates to time.
hope this helps...
bradp015 is offline Find More Posts by bradp015
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:32 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
I'm new with this charger, but not new to Nimh.

A Nimh is fully charged when:
- It gets nice and warm. (Not hot.)
- It experiences a brief decrease in voltage. Graphing the voltage over time shows this "peak" at the end of the charge - thus these are called "peak" chargers.

But:
- If you charge a pack too fast it will heat up before it is full, or overheat.
- If you charge a pack too slow, the charger may miss the "peak."
- If you charge a pack too slow, it may not heat up when full.

How fast, or how slow? In general, cells made to discharge quickly (flight packs) can be charged fast. Slow discharge type cells (ie transmitter packs) do well with a 1/10c charge. I find my flight packs do well with a 1/2C charge rate. Peaks well, get nice and warm (not hot) when done.

This charger will turn off when either of these happen:
- times out
- capacity limit reached
- Peak detected (Nimh sensitivity D. Peak setting.)

I feel the peak detection should be set to the lowest possible value. The only down side it possibly not getting a full charge. Since the X4 tells you how much it is putting back, you can get a good idea of this.

When I actually figure out how to use this charger, I'm going to use it like this:
For charging a 750mah flight pack, I will set:
- Charge rate .4 amp
- Peak detection - 5mv
- Time out: 120 min
- Capacity limit: 900mah

For a transmitter pack, I will set the charge rate to 1/10C, set peak detection higher so it does not false peak, and be more exact with the time out and capacity limit.

Hope this helps!

PS. I found out the input voltage error of the X4 works. It turns out my power supply goes up to 17 volts when lightly loaded. Dang!

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB