HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
The self-leveling in the KK2 got a lot better after a firmware update -- see the KK2 thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613

For transmitter settings, the best thing is to create a simple ACRO model -- the KK2 board takes care of all the mixing, etc. On the transmitter you'll want to link channel 5 to a switch and setup "Self Level: Aux" in the KK2 so you can turn self-leveling on and off. There's a "receiver test" screen on the KK2 that shows the receiver inputs, which you use during the initial setup. Things like dual-rates and expo on the transmitter will work like they would for a plane or heli.

The KK2 manual and the thread have good setup information.

--ET
etheli is offline Find More Posts by etheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:30 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
ET
I ordered all the recommended parts including the the KK2 brain to make an assembly. The SK450 framework is back ordered. The Value Hobby Tarot is out of stock also. I am looking at the Value Hobby ST450 folding frame. Are they any good? Would you know what material it is made of? Would you know of any others that I can look at?
Thanks
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:41 AM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
Hi Bob,
Cool that you're building one. I don't know any info on the ST450 frame. The FY450 frame at Value Hobby looks similar to the SK450 frame I used.

--ET
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:27 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
ET
I would have ordered it but it is out of stock. They are coming in though. What size props do you like with the 2210N 1000Kv motor? I ordered 8x4.3. I was tempted to try larger 10x 4.3 but amps usage will clinb too. I think I will order the Multi-rotor Helis Power Distribution Board and nylon screws also.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
I would have ordered it but it is out of stock. They are coming in though. What size props do you like with the 2210N 1000Kv motor? I ordered 8x4.3. I was tempted to try larger 10x 4.3 but amps usage will climb too. I think I will order the Multi-rotor Helis Power Distribution Board and nylon screws also.
Yeah, the FY450 frame is supposed to be in stock tomorrow (1/14/2013).

The GemFan 8x4.5 props work well on those motors; lots of power, I wouldn't put anything larger on this setup. You can also get them from HobbyKing; I need to modify my SK450KK2 page to list these as well:

8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Orange) 017000056 $2.59
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25816

8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Green) 017000054 $2.59
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25814

--ET
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:53 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
Those are the props I ordered. They have a good selection in different colors. I had the 10x4.3's on my list and took them off the list
Great info ET. Lots of good info and support. Thank you again,
**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:22 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
Hi ET,
I got my new Quad all set up today. I only have to make a battery tray. I have it all setup to the settings in DieHard RC Addicts post #2 KK2 board setup.
SK450 Quadcopter Part 2 Setting up (15 min 8 sec)

I believe he set it for quad newbies like me. I ran it up on the bench and all seems ok. I held it and tilted it left and right and it sped up fast to correct itself. I hope the throttles are not to hot. It had plenty of power.

I could not tell any differences in auto level on or off. I also noticed that the Esc red signal wires were all connected. I disconnected 3 of my red signal wires. The M1 is connected. Here is a new setting that the video did not show in the video settings also called CPPM in the Mode Settings. It also had Filter settings in the Misc Settings too.. It is not enabled and I do not know what it does. If I had it done earlier this week I would have brought it to Auburn for you to look over and make any changes that you thought could make improvements. I do not know what version is in the software.

I am not sure if flashing is necessary either. So maybe Saturday I will try my luck with it. have plenty of aircgraft time but no Quad time so I do not know what to expect.
**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:00 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
ET
Well just finished the first test. I did not have good luck. As I slowly gave the throttle to lift of the Quad banked hard to the right and flipped. I tested it again after I thought I corrected it. This time I anchored it to the ground with about a 1 foot tether and weight. It did the same again but flipped to port. Then I thought maybe it it is in my trim tabs on the transnmitter. I held it in my hand and played with the trim tabs and got it to were it was sort of neutral will no yawing. Then I tried it again and it flipped once more to the left. I tried both Level on and off. no luck with it again. I'm sure it is in the setups. Beyond what I know about it though.
**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:03 PM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
You want to make sure that all the motors are rotating in the right directions, and all the props are setup to push air downward. If you go into "Show Motor Layout" on the KK2 menu you should a screen like the attached picture, which shows the direction that each motor needs to be rotating. If those are correct then confirm that each prop is pushing air downward.

--ET
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:27 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
I have everything exactly as the video all rotations are correct. The Quad is very sensitive at the settings in the video. I played around with settings some more holding the quad in hand . I am trying to further cut back the fast reactions with motor speedups. I started with the throttle and cut it back to 50. It still has plenty of power there. I bank the quad with the rudder and the throttles start going very much faster.

The same with the roll rate picks up speed. The elevator pitch dives and picks up speed but when I pull back on the stick it comes back not too fast. I think I need to figure out the rudder, ail, and the elevator rates to go slower. I have tried the PI Editor to set P and I gains to not much avail. First Ineed to undersand what effect they are doing. As of late afernoon I tamed it somewhat. The self leveling does have no effect and makes it worse holding it. Maybe it works as the quad is flying. I am manually trying to hold and try settings. I am under the assumption it will hover in a neutral setting. As you can see I have a way to go here bfore it will fly.

If you could give it a lookover next Friday I will bring it to Auburn. I would appreciate your thoughts on this and advise.

**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:38 PM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
For tuning I'd definitely recommend the procedures posted by the guy who designed the board, here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613

--ET
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:46 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
ET
I will look it over later. I have an indoor gym flight night going on in 1/2 hour. On the way out.
Thanks
*Neons** Bob