Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:39 AM
Milano, Italy
Joined Aug 2010
229 Posts
A Hydrocopter!
Wow, me like it!

Keep us updated on future devs
Please also consider bigger IMU's (eg Arducopter) for inside space!
Ah, little suggestions for the first waterquad's name (inspired by nature):
StriderKopter
WaterQuad
HydropKopter

Water Strider or Water Bug (Gerridae) / Wasserläufer [2] (0 min 23 sec)
emile.c is offline Find More Posts by emile.c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
Excellent concept! I'll be watching this one!
AOJ! is offline Find More Posts by AOJ!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:19 PM
Facinated w/FPV & Multicopters
Germany, SN, Chemnitz
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Skip-a-Quad (instead of a stone....../\|
.______________________________ X oops!)
FacinatedFPV is offline Find More Posts by FacinatedFPV
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,978 Posts
Hydroquad?

This looks like a great idea. Can't wait to see more.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXX View Post
solution to this would be to use stronger(18A) speed controllers
Probably not a solution. The only way to improve it is by having a controller with better efficiency at the used effect level. I don't think a larger speed controller will improve the efficiency much if anything, so the emitted heat will be the same.

And even if you can keep them below "overheat" you will lower the life expectancy of those by a significant amount if you are using the speed controllers in high temperature.That is why you normally put the speed controllers under the airflow from the propellers.

So you will probably need to find a good way to cool them down. I can think of several, but none that are cheap and easy. Anyone else with suggestions?
Malx is offline Find More Posts by Malx
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:21 AM
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malx View Post
Probably not a solution. The only way to improve it is by having a controller with better efficiency at the used effect level. I don't think a larger speed controller will improve the efficiency much if anything, so the emitted heat will be the same.

And even if you can keep them below "overheat" you will lower the life expectancy of those by a significant amount if you are using the speed controllers in high temperature.That is why you normally put the speed controllers under the airflow from the propellers.

So you will probably need to find a good way to cool them down. I can think of several, but none that are cheap and easy. Anyone else with suggestions?

My guess is that 18A would be sufficient in my case for the whole battery, I know that is the same amount of temperature at 10A and 18A ESCs generated,
but 18A escs are double the size of 10A and and they have twice as many mosFETs, or their mosFETs are bigger and can handle more current....
so they should be able to bear a little more heat only because of the size...

when quad is waterproof, amount of heat generated is not as big as you think, ESC's are more on the side of warm than hot

next flight I will empty the entire battery in one piece and with an infrared thermometer I'll measure the temperature of ESCs

But let's assume that people want to fly only waterproof Quad, cooling of ESC's is not a problem....

First simple solution that comes to my mind is aluminum cooler on the photos
we all have somewhere in the attic or the basement an old PC power supply...
there are several of these coolers in each power supply, and you only need 2 of them

The idea is that they are bent, inserted sideways into the hull and glued with epoxy or silicone as drawing shows
ESC's are fixed with zip strip on the cooler(2ESCs on 1 cooler) and that's it...

only airflow will be enough to cool ESC's, and if you land on water, cooling will be more than enough....
just to mention that this is only one solution for full waterproof quad

again, if you do not fly over water at all, the simplest way is to drill a few holes on the cover from above and no problem with overheating
this way you can fly across the wet grass, leaves, or where there is a lot of dust and have no worries for electronics which is protected

The main idea was to make a model that has protected electronics, very easily removable and exchangeable parts after crash
and can land on water...... advanced water games are just a bonus

DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
76 Posts
You probably know alot more about how much cooling that is needed then I. I have nearly no experience at all and was mostly speculating since I have seen quads that has mounted a extra fan above the ESC:s (Xaircraft X650) as it has them placed out of the propeller airflow.

I didn't mean to sound negative at all just wanted to ask if you had thought about and it seems like you already have . The idea with the heatsinks may work really ok, my ideas was nearly the same but involved heatpipes that probably gets to expensive for this kind of application and if the heat is so low as you say they will probably be overkill anyway.

It is a wonderful idea with a waterproof quad and I still wan't to se a movie from a Gopro mounted under it while landing and lifting from the water .

I plan on using my coming quad to film some water sport so I will probably use some of the ideas while building it. My quad will however not be able to land and liftoff the water, I just want it to float and save most of the electronics in case of emergency or bad flying. I will also need a lot larger hull than this one.
Malx is offline Find More Posts by Malx
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:57 AM
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Jan 2009
162 Posts
Great concept!

If you don't mind I have an idea for your cooling solution. If you can make the same frame but in aluminum, and design it around those CPU heatsinks (just to give you an idea, don't make it like a box! hahah) then you connect the ESC's to the underside of the aluminum capsule and cool the ESC's using the whole frame which will act as a big passive cooling unit. Therefore when you land on water it will also benefit from the temperature drop of the water, and when you fly it around it will act as a "flying heatsink". Do you think it could work?

Just an idea. I think you are onto something with this quad!
jofs3d is offline Find More Posts by jofs3d
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:38 AM
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
613 Posts
This is what I did when building the polaris for water flying. Just cut up some old heat sinks from an old computer inserted them into hull and used silicone to seal it. Attached the esc to the heat sink with expoxy.

kevin
Hunter850 is offline Find More Posts by Hunter850
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:03 AM
Croatia
Joined Nov 2009
357 Posts
I have a few models in stock....
models on which I try out color combinations

on these models colors are not perfectly matched(as photo shows) so that the prices are not perfectly right

for these models you can contact me on PM
for other models I will soon put a link to a page with pictures, prices and contact email address

Denis

DeXX is offline Find More Posts by DeXX
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
good enough for me
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:13 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
How much are we looking at for one of these? More than $200?
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
How much are we looking at for one of these? More than $200?
way better then you think

i cant wait to get one since i love flying over the lake behind my house! this with a water proof gopro cool i will terrorizing the alligators lol
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
way better then you think

i cant wait to get one since i love flying over the lake behind my house! this with a water proof gopro cool i will terrorizing the alligators lol
Watch out as they will find out where you live and come looking for you
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Watch out as they will find out where you live and come looking for you
lol we always see them but they stay in the middle there 2 of them lol