HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Discussion
Using old servo control boards as actuator driver/motor ESC for PROPORTIONAL control

Here is one little experiment of converting a toy car to proportional control;

Yep, both steering and throttle control are proportional. Steering is spring type, actuator driven;

The idea is to use the servo controller board as H-Bridge ESC drivers for the car motor. The same is also true for the steering magnetic actuator. The steering mechanism is spring centered thus you can actually vary the actuator magnetic strength to define the deflection of the wheels. This can be adjusted further by defining the EPAs and D/R rates on the steering channel at the TX side.

For the Main Motor, i used an old Futaba S3003 servo control board ...

For the steering actuator driver, i used an ESky 8g servo control board.

You need to retain the pots on the servo boards and adjust them for a 0-volt center on the motor/actuator output.

The setup is powered by a small 1S lipo thus a charging port is required;

a simple schematic;

TX Settings;

Steering EPA at 30% on both sides.

Steering D/R at 40%

Throttle EPA at 30% on both sides. Motor achieving full rotation at such rate thus you only need to spread out the throttle curve on the entire swing of the TX throttle trigger Same case also for the steering.

VIDEOS;

Motor and Steering actuators in action as controlled by a Futaba 2.4Ghz FHSS

[
Proportional Control Conversion using Servo controller boards as actuator driver and Car Motor ESC (0 min 57 sec)

Table Top run testing proportional control on both steering and throttle;

Table Top Throttle and Steering Proportionality tests (1 min 2 sec)

Full tests on proportional control on both steering and throttle on the ground;

Throttle and Steering Proportionality tests (1 min 43 sec)
EQMOD is offline Find More Posts by EQMOD
Last edited by EQMOD; Jan 21, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:16 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,359 Posts
Man ! That is like a remote controlled Hot Wheel car. Very cool
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
Awesome!!!!
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:33 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Thanks.

And since we already have the servo control board inside, we can actually replace the steering actuator control with a full blown micro servo using the already existing e-sky servo as motor drivers. This is done by connecting the motor and the pot that is built-in on the servo. Both actuator driven and servo driven steering mechanism can provide full proportional control. However, if you have access to a very small servo for your micro rc car,why not mount that one instead ?

Here she is again in action;

Micro RC Car - Using Servo boards as ESC (1 min 9 sec)

Proportional control tests done on the floor for both steering and throttle ...

Proportional Micro RC Car - Using Servo boards as ESC - ground proportional control test (1 min 31 sec)

and a good ol table top run also testing the proportional control;

Proportional Micro RC Car - Using Servo boards as ESC - tabletop proportional control test (1 min 39 sec)
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Just to give a comparison and a couple of options too, here are a possible combination of this proportional control mod;

1. Kyosho AM transmitter with magnetic actuator steering. Esky 8g servo as steering actuator driver and Futaba S3003 board as ESC for the main motor drive.

Proportional magnetic actuator steering and throttle control using Servo Control Boards - Test 1 (1 min 2 sec)

2. Futaba 2.4Ghz + R603GF combo with with magnetic actuator steering. Esky 8g servo as steering actuator driver and Futaba S3003 board as ESC for the main motor drive.

* The programmable TX is actually a better option for the actuator steering as you can vary the strength applied on the magnetic coil by adjusting the D/R rates and EPAs.

Proportional magnetic actuator steering & throttle control using Servo Control Boards Test 2 (0 min 56 sec)

3. Futaba 2.4Ghz + R603GF combo with full sub micro servo steering. Esky 8g servo as steering motor driver and Futaba S3003 board as ESC for the main motor drive.

Micro RC Car - Using Servo boards as ESC (1 min 9 sec)

Of the three options, obviously the 3rd one would be the best as it consumes less current than using actuators but it may be hard to access a good micro servo and specifically mount them on a very small scale car. Actuators work well on proportional steering as long as you can properly adjust the D/R rates and Endpoints so that you can maximize the entire steering wheel curve.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
401 Posts
EQMOD you are a genius! Will this mod work for micro cars with actuators that only have 2 wires?
XFM is online now Find More Posts by XFM
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:32 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post
EQMOD you are a genius! Will this mod work for micro cars with actuators that only have 2 wires?
The demo below is actually using steering actuators that has only two wires;

Proportional Control Conversion using Servo controller boards as actuator driver and Car Motor ESC (0 min 57 sec)

Throttle and Steering Proportionality tests (1 min 43 sec)

Proportional magnetic actuator steering & throttle control using Servo Control Boards Test 2 (0 min 56 sec)
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:50 AM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
401 Posts
Thanks for confirming. All my micro cars have 2 wire actuators but your diagram shows 3 wires, leading to my confusion. Now I can try this mod
XFM is online now Find More Posts by XFM
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:22 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Great!

Here is a new one - Small Kart racer with the proportional control steering and throttle.

Specs:

1. 1S Lipo Power
2. 2.4Ghz Efly RX/TX combo
3. 2 Servo Control boards - one for steering and driving an actuator and another one for throttling.
4. a couple of centering pots (5kohm) to put both the actuator and motor to 0 volts at tx center stick

Using the bulky TX with the programmable TX parameters

With the onboard electronics;

Electronics neatly attached;

Gas time (Lipo charger)

VIDEOS:

Proportional Control Actuator and Steering in action

Cart/Kart Racer w/ Proportional Actuator Steering & Throttle control using Servo Boards - Test (1 min 0 sec)

Table Top:

Cart/Kart Racer w/ Proportional Actuator Steering & Throttle control using Servo Boards - tabletop (0 min 51 sec)

Floor:

Cart/Kart Racer w/ Proportional Actuator Steering & Throttle control using Servo Boards - floor (1 min 37 sec)
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post
Thanks for confirming. All my micro cars have 2 wire actuators but your diagram shows 3 wires, leading to my confusion. Now I can try this mod
oops. my bad. Corrected it already Thanks.

Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
I realize this thread is old and while the OP may not respond i would love some clarification from anyone on this subject. I'm just getting back into "micro" rc after many years.

I have a LOSI TX / RX combo from a micro T. If i am understanding EQMODS simple schematic correctly (hopefully) i would only need to purchase 2 servo boards (sticking with the example EQMOD gave - the Futaba 3003) in order to add proportional steering and throttle to any non proportional / magnet steering car. Is this correct? It seems so but i'm trying to shake the rust off as i ease back into the hobby.

BTW OP...i think the go kart is simply fantastic. I'd love to be able to create to fully proportional version of the vehicle for my loved ones to race with.
carbodies is offline Find More Posts by carbodies
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jun 2010
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbodies View Post
I realize this thread is old and while the OP may not respond i would love some clarification from anyone on this subject. I'm just getting back into "micro" rc after many years.

I have a LOSI TX / RX combo from a micro T. If i am understanding EQMODS simple schematic correctly (hopefully) i would only need to purchase 2 servo boards (sticking with the example EQMOD gave - the Futaba 3003) in order to add proportional steering and throttle to any non proportional / magnet steering car. Is this correct? It seems so but i'm trying to shake the rust off as i ease back into the hobby.

BTW OP...i think the go kart is simply fantastic. I'd love to be able to create to fully proportional version of the vehicle for my loved ones to race with.
You may also be interested in a similar thread that I posted here

From your explanation your assumption sounds correct, one board for the motor, one for the magnets. Remember these are usually only for very small RC cars due to the limited power output of the boards though, anything much larger and you'd be far better off with a true brushed ESC and replace the magnets for a servo, even in these small RC cars I've replace the steering with a 2g servo from HobbyKing.

If you have some time to explain your intentions further with specific information you may be able to get some more valuable information.
x5252x is offline Find More Posts by x5252x
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Thank you very much for the reply. My apologies for late response but i've spent the last few weeks researching what would be required for a conversion from non proportional to proportional in a smaller rc and i've come to the same conclusion you offered in your advice (i.e. the 2g servo).

It's the preferred method to achieve what i want anyway as wiring multiple boards didn't fill me with enthusiasm (nor did keeping magnetic actuator steering). Hopefully i can utilize my LOSI rx as i'd hate to have to buy another. It boils down to whether or not the Go Kart pictured above is large enough (even after modification) to fit it.

Thanks again ! It's nice to know i can post a question here and receive some valued input

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
You may also be interested in a similar thread that I posted here

From your explanation your assumption sounds correct, one board for the motor, one for the magnets. Remember these are usually only for very small RC cars due to the limited power output of the boards though, anything much larger and you'd be far better off with a true brushed ESC and replace the magnets for a servo, even in these small RC cars I've replace the steering with a 2g servo from HobbyKing.

If you have some time to explain your intentions further with specific information you may be able to get some more valuable information.
carbodies is offline Find More Posts by carbodies