HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
Micro Magic Carbon

Got the racing carbon edition today. Very nice Graupner quality like the MK 1. Beautiful high gloss carbon look hull, deck and parts. Carbon print is some how bonded to the parts in a very high gloss. Full plans and instructions like the other one. Nice carbon mast and booms.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
Custom Sails

String
Wow, very nice! It looks like my boats won't arrive until Thursday or Friday. One of our forum members "jpparisy" has generously turned me on to a custom sail maker for the MM's. Check out this web site: http://www.dg-voiles.com If you use Google, it will translate the French to English for you. JP said "These sails are 3D ones, and not flat sails as in the kit. The difference is evident at all speeds, the stock boat with flat sails is literally left in place, at equivalent skippers value of course"

I am going to see what he will charge for a set of sails similar to the ones on JP's Carbon Edition in the picture below. The contact e-mail address is : gilbert@dg-voiles.com

I am sure there are guys here that can make sails for these, like Dennis at Walrus Sails. I will check with Dennis too.

JP sent a link to the European Championships and shared with me, after looking at the photos, "you'll see that there are very few boats with stock sails!"
http://picasaweb.google.com/buzzcole...alatonHungary#

Please take some build pictures of the CF project.
Thanks
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Just a thought, why not support US sail-makers? Several make sails for MM....
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-sailor View Post
Just a thought, why not support US sail-makers? Several make sails for MM....
RG

Not a Bad idea. So here is a link to the US Website where a few suppliers are listed.. http://usa.magicmicro.org/news.php (left column under links)...

Not all mind you as some that do make sails don't make it known very well. Do you have any links to good quality MM Sailmakers ???

The MM Class is International as is the Web so only US would be a bit too restrictive IMHO..

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:41 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
RG
Take another read of my post, you will see it states I will be calling Walrus Sails (Arizona) as well. I am open to any other sail makers who have had success with these boats.

Are these boats not made in Germany? If you read back further in this thread you will also see my question asking if there was other domestic sources for this boat, and even went so far as to make reference to Blackstar, a Denver based builder of similar boats.

I take no offense at your suggestion, and with respect, suggest it was unnecessary.

My point was only that most MM racers use custom sails, and not the standard flat sails. If you visit the site in France, you will see this fellow has had some good success with his sails. I am still in a big learning curve on these boats, and because it is so popular world wide, having an open mind to input from our knowledgeable friends around the planet is a good thing.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
may already be in the posts somewhere but here is an interesting link. http://www.int.magicmicro.org/news.php
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:16 AM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Hello Boomer,
Yes I do see that you mentioned Walrus now...sorry. Another good one is Vector Sails. I know Jake and he makes quality stuff. Sorry should have read further.

I guess with today's economy and such I just jump at the chance to support US business. I should be a little more careful before I shout off my soap box....

Thanks,
Brian
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:23 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
European sailmakers

jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
JP
Wow, I didn't realize you could have that many conditions to merit a special set of sails. I think I'll have to find a "sponsor" for my boat to be able to be competitive.

Wouldn't be great if you could furl ("reefing")you sails to match the current conditions like real sailboats can?

There is actually a boat that has this feature, Sprinta RC Yachts out of Germany. I have posted pictures of the Sprinta and a Seawind that have main sails that can be furled (Reefing"). (I think that is a real word?)

Wonder how well it actually works?
Boomer

If I were a rich man, I'd own a Sprinta. They are at the other end of the scale from the MMs, but truely amazing RC Yachts. If you are not familar with them check out this link: http://www.ramoser.de/home_d/sprinta...inta_rc_d.html
Select "video" and "galerie"
If you paste in this link to google, it will translate the German to English or ?
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 22, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:36 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
JP
Thank you. I added "reefing" to my post below. I have chatted with Christain to determine want the price would be for a completed boat landed here in the US. I'd have to bo back through our correspondance to be sure, but I think it would have to be around $1500 USD. I could buy a kit to save some money but, I'd like to have the first one factory built to use as a reference for future boats.

A close friend and I wanted to try to bring these over to the states, to get interest started but, we got the impression that he was happy with his current level of business. Not sure.

So, am I to understand you own one? If so you are my new idol. Any rc sailor that watches that video, has to want one of these boats! They sail like their full sized big brothers and have some of the best detailing I have ever seen.

I really like scale boats, and at some point, I will have a Sprinta.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 22, 2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:17 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
JP
I appreciate all the information on the Sprinta. Think I may start a thread on them to see what kind of interest might be generated.

Back on track, I just checked on the arrival date of my new Micro Magic boats and it looks like one box will arrive Thursday the other Friday, figures!

I am very excited to get started building them. Once the boxes arrive, I will know what I will need to complete the 3rd boat. From what the fellow told me, I will need a set of sails, ballast and some rigging but not sure what.

Regardless, once this little project is done, we'll have three racing versions of which one will be the CF edition. I have two very close friends I sail and fly with, which will be the starting point for us to build from. I know once some of the other fellows see these little guys in action, they'll get onboard too!

As mentioned, I am starting my quest for at least one set of custom sails (for my boat -of course). Since the CF version is a bit heavier, it will need the high performance sails to off set the extra weight.

Should be a lot of fun!!
Boomer
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:47 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
Micro Magic Carbon

Building coming along. Inside pieces in place.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY