SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:25 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
C'mon String. Im sure you are snowbound at home today.

That micro should be almost ready by now. 55 F degrees on Sunday and wind 8 - 10 mph
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:57 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
building.....

Yep... snow bound today and probably tomorrow. 6 inches out here. Its coming along but will take some time. It is not a ARS at all but very well done German design. Bruce's is at work if delivered today.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Stringfly

Take your time building the little beast. No rush if the Snow has you bogged in away from the water.

No doubt this will be the first & most likely another will follow.

One piece of Information that might be useful.

There is a modification in the Racing Rules that allow you to Mix & Match parts between the two versions.

One very good one to look at is using a Mk1 Keel Fin with a Mk2 Bullb.. In the Racing Version this assists reducing sideways drift & helps pointing ability.

Not sure how it would go in the Mk1.. But if you were going to go to Mk2 later then this could be a good way of using parts between both boats..

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Thanks waboat, will do. It's coming right along. Thought about the Mkll bulb and may try one later. Gruapner USA carriers them. Will have to get another keel though since the stock bulb is glued and pinned on the keel in this Mkl version. Looking at the Mkll parts and such I think I will just get a Mkll racing version when they are available. Will have this one for a friend to sail.

Stringfly <>++++++
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
364 Posts
My Mark I that I'm building will have a Mark I fin and Mark II bulb. One thing about the Mark I--the slot for the fin is located a little farther forward than the Mark II. That's one of the performance enhancements that Thomas Dreyer (the designer of both MMs) changed with the Racing MM. It's not dramatically different but slightly.

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Build...

Some shots of the building. Hull and deck about ready to be joined. Keel/mast support in hull, all support blocks on bottom of deck in place. Ballast bulb smoothed and shells fitted. Also some shots of the plans that show everything.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Deck on and some decals applied. No issues but you need to plan the deck to hull assembly, used Stabilit Express in a syringe. Worked great.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:54 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Deck on and some decals applied. No issues but you need to plan the deck to hull assembly, used Stabilit Express in a syringe. Worked great.

Stringfly <>+++++
Looking good.

We may need to determine some handicaps for all the boats and score a regatta.

Although, we have almost enough now to race several fleets.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:09 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
We don't need no stink'in handicaps......

Cute little boat that sails really well everybody says. If I can get the race version will let you sail this one JD. Should have ready for Sunday.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:06 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
All done....

Ready to sail. Will launch today !!!

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Yea ,Yea,...... just some temp numbers I had around. Sail looked to plain. A friend is doing me some correct numbers.....

Topping lift ? Here is a top picture.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:07 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
Boat looks real good--nice build. A couple of things I would suggest as you get into sailing her. Next time you get small packs of nuts and bolts from Home Depot save plastic container, take lid off and velcro to hull and put the batteries in one and the receiver in the other then any water that gets in hull will not touch either of these. You then can use more velcro to move battery box farther to the stern for better balance in heavy air. Secondly, pick up a water gun from the dollar store(small one) smash it and drill drain hole in transom and use water gun filler cap to plug it--then can empty water out of hull without taking hatch off. Lastly the topping the topping lift is an adjustable line that goes from jib mounting eye on mast to end of jib boom with a bowsie so you can adjust sail shape same as you do with kick up adjuster on main boom. Both sails should have matching curves.Good luck with the trials--our water is still too hard! Cheers Bill.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Ready to sail. Will launch today !!!

Stringfly <>+++++
Just noticed one more thing from pics. If you have any problem with the sheet lines jambing, it will be the pulley at the end of the sail servo arm--it looks like a Graupner metal on the the heel is stationary and not on ball bearings and you have it attached with a S hook which can swivel and may cause lines to jam up. You could attach it directly to the sail arm by drilling hole out a bit and using small bolt--cuts down on movement and if the lines get slack they wont get hung up on the pulley or the S attachment.I am not trying to be critical just helping to avoid any disasters--Bill.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:04 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.