HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:30 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
I almost forgot to mention--the sail material on the Mark I was upgraded awhile back and is also Icarex, but in a variety of colors. Mine are florescent green! They are much better than the old ones, but not quite as good as the Racing MM sails--those have self-adhesive carbon fiber battens and better reinforcements.
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:29 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,469 Posts
Thanks guys! Really enjoyed the racing on the video Waboats posted. The black boat with blue sails seemed like it was a lot faster than almost all of the other boats. Just smoked them.

Wonder if this fellow was just a superior sailor or that his set up was that much better?

I always love to watch races when a bunch of boats arrive at the turn bouy at the same time. Reminds me of the movies of years past of "gooney birds" landing.

Noticed a number of the boats hitting the bouy and not going around it? I guess if you are that far back, you'll do anything you can to catch up.

Great stuff!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:40 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Tuning video

Here is a great basic tuning guide for the Micro Magic......

Stringfly <>+++++
Micro Magic basic tuning guide (5 min 20 sec)
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:51 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:31 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Nice video... good quality.... harp sucks.... but thanks jpparisy!!!

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
A little closer to home for USA skippers. From the USA Nationals in 2009...

Race16 Final AMYA Micro Magic Class National Championship (6 min 50 sec)
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Not sure how many are interested but here is a copy of the current (1 Jan 2011) MMI Rules.

Each country sets their own Sailing Instructions & are usually available on their MM Website. Subtle changes to the MMI Rules can be made to suit local conditions & these are generaly done in SI's & the Notice of Race.

Recent changes to Sail Number sizes means that older boats with 40mm numbers need a bit of lattitude while they update to any new standards.

The current SI's for OZ.. Very similar to UK & other countries. Andy would probably be best to ask if you want to know about USA SI's & other local issues..

The most important thing to remember about MM Sailing/Racing is the Participation & Fun Factor.

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Feb 06, 2011 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:29 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
143 Posts
For what it's worth, here's mine. A mark II (Carbon mast and booms) with "A" rig fitted, 865 Grams RTS. NZ made Power Sails. I have "B" and "C" rigs also that I made myself. They are a very nice boat to sail.
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
I've been told that Graupner USA will be out of Rmm kits for about a month. They apologize for the delay, but should have a large order in March. They do (As others have pointed out) have the Mark I kits in stock and I think some Carbon Look kits as well.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:05 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
kit arrived

I called Graupner USA and no carbons now... also mid March. I asked Hobby Lobby what their status was on the race and carbon version and I was told by a sales person that Graupner products may not be carried in the future.... They were going to Germany to talk with Graupner to settle some issues apparently.. They would know something in about two weeks he said.

I did get the Mark I kit today. Nice fast shipping from Graupner USA. Kit looks good, boy it sure is small compared to my 1 meter boats. Nice full size plans and other plan sheets. Nice hardware. Will start the build this week.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
Thanks for the update! I have one on my building table as well. I'm about ready to attach the deck.

I stand corrected on the carbons. A few of weeks ago I believe he told me he had some, but apparently he must not have had many, or he sold a lot. Either way, it's good to know.

Good luck on the build!

Andy
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Great !!!! Keep me updated on yours too Andy. What glue are you using for most of the construction? I do have stabilit express.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:11 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
143 Posts
Here is a build guide from the British MM site:- http://www.freewebs.com/peterbsmicromagic/ Mainly written around the MKII but a lot of good info about the assembly.
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Great !!!! Keep me updated on yours too Andy. What glue are you using for most of the construction? I do have stabilit express.

Stringfly <>+++++
I use Stabilit for most of it. CA and 30 minute epoxy for some too. I plan on using Stabilit for the deck/hull joint.

Andy