HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Mid Week MM Sailors Port Kennedy WA (OZ)

1st November 2012

Another great days sailing at the lake with 7 Skippers turning up to Race. Wayne & Brian have ben away for a few months & it was good to see them get into the mix once again.

The day started with a forecast of strong winds & possible rain & thunder througout the day. No Rain or Thunder but the wind was quite stronger than we are used to at this time of year.

With Bill G going to Victoria for the State Championships next week we have been playing with a combined Scratch & Handicap format to give him a bit of practice with boats milling around the startline.

Today was 4 straight Scratch races followed by 5 Handicap Races & finish off with a few more Scratch races if we had the time.

With the wind blowing quite hard only Bill decided to start in a B Suit of Sails.. A few of us had them in the car but decided to try the A Rig first.

Quite an eventful start to the First Race with a few tangles sorting out the new course & direction. As usual the top 2 marks produce the most work as the wind is buffered off the walls & can go in all directions. It was really hard work. First race & a few guys forgot to sail the full course. They got their discard early..

From then on it was the Bob Show with 2 x 1st's & a 2nd. Ouch a 50 second handicap to start the Handicap series.. From there it was hard work getting around the fleet in what was clearly B Rig Conditions. Bill decided to drop down to C Rig for some practice & at times he struggled on some parts of the lake. But the C Rig held its' own in the downwind legs & the Heavy Gusts. While a few were going in circles coming to grips with the ever-changing conditions.

Overall it was a good days sailing with most people managing a win on the day. Bob clearly won the Scratch Racing series & Brian E won the Handicap.

Lots of little comps within the day with Overall going to John F (me) for consistency, closely followed on countback to Brian E, with another countback sorting out Bob & Bill. 2 Points covering the top 4 positions.

Hard battle out there today with one minute clearly in the lead only to be caught in a gust & relegated to the back of the fleet. One of those days you had to keep your mind on the job, so apologies no photos.

The Overall Points Championship is taking shape with Brian & Bill very closely positioned . A small trophy & a Gift Voucher on Offer to the overall winner.

Next Sail Day (Final Points Day) is scheduled for the 6th December 2012 @ Port Kennedy (providing weed stays away).

Practice sail being arranged for next Thursday 8th November @ the Fremantle lake.

Cheers

John
AUS 137
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:02 AM
China, Hubei, Wuhan
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
2012 11 4 Micro Magic

HI, all, I come from China, my English is translated through Google.November 3, 2012 was a good day, these are my Micro Magic sailing photos. I know it is very satisfied.

daimonevil is offline Find More Posts by daimonevil
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
Hi Daimon, nice boat, and nice radio!

Do you use the 3rd channel function, jib trim?
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:23 PM
China, Hubei, Wuhan
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmike View Post
Hi Daimon, nice boat, and nice radio!

Do you use the 3rd channel function, jib trim?
HI northernmike,My channel function: 1st channel is for Rudder, 3rd channel is for Main course and the jib,7th channel is for jib trimming
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Mid Week MM Sailors Fremantle

8th November 2012

Test sail today @ Fremantle. Nothing formal just a small get together to try the new venue.

No scoresheet, just lots of close scratch racing. Started very light conditions with shifting winds. Improved as the morning wore on.

All using A Rigs with a variety of winners from the 12 or so races.

Managed some photos today... Easy when you aren't that fussed with the result, although we all tried real hard to win the occasional race..

Cheers

John
AUS 137
Last edited by waboats; Nov 08, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonevil View Post
HI, all, I come from China, my English is translated through Google.November 3, 2012 was a good day, these are my Micro Magic sailing photos. I know it is very satisfied.
Nice picture, boat sails well.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:54 AM
China, Hubei, Wuhan
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Nice picture, boat sails well.
thanks~~~
:D
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
Hi folks,

I need some help with an interpretation of the rules.

Since the 2011 International Class Rules (Version 5) states, in rule 1.1 subsection ii. ,

A max of 6 addiional holes of no greater than 20mm diameter can be made in the deck and / or the canopy ...

and this equates to 314mm2 / hole or 1884mm2 total -

Can anyone see a problem with cutting out the windows in the canopy in lieu of using these 20mm circular holes?

The weight savings (especially on a carbon-look) will certainly be less than consequential for competition...

Just curious, since the "letter of the law" here is very clear, my intent is not to gain advantage but to have a more attractive model...

thx,

- m
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
My calculations show 862 mm2 for each side window and 450mm2 for the rear... I may be a little over the limit! 2174mm2 total... can anyone confirm this?

And, since the mk1, mk2 and clear canopies are all lighter, do you guys think I'll be OK? I'd hate to have to debate this at a regatta, but I don't mind having the numbers in front of me... please let me know your thoughts...
Last edited by northernmike; Dec 02, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
Mike,
The way I interpret that rule's purpose is NOT to lighten the boat, but rather to allow things such as mainsheet posts and other adjusting setups. The German rules allow you to cut big sections of the deck off to save weight, and while you aren't proposing that I realize, I would hate to encourage holes of any kind for this purpose. However, I'm not the authority. I would pose the question on the International site forum and/or your respective country's class website.

Only my opinion of course. There are plenty of ways to save weight without removing parts of the deck or hatch.

Andy
MM USA Secretary
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Hi folks,

I need some help with an interpretation of the rules.

Since the 2011 International Class Rules (Version 5) states, in rule 1.1 subsection ii. ,

A max of 6 addiional holes of no greater than 20mm diameter can be made in the deck and / or the canopy ...

Mike

The simple answer is you can only have 6 INDIVIDUAL Holes <=20mm.

You cannot. join together to make One Big Hole...

Generally such holes are allowed for additional sheeting points & installation of external switches etc.

6 Individual Holes around the Canopy is allowed & has been done before..

Marginal weight savings as the film used to cover is usually about the same weight & has to be larger to keep the water out.

What you could do is find a CLEAR MK2 Canopy & Paint Internally using Masks (R/C Car Stuff) You can even have internal decals.. Never get scratched...

http://www.rcyachts.org.uk/epages/St...cts/GR-2014.7T

German rules, well that is a complete different Ball Game...

Cheers

John
Aus Int Rep
MM AUS 137
Last edited by waboats; Dec 02, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
Thanks Andy - the more I look at the boat the more I consider "other adjusting setups"...

I will see what kind of 20mm circular holes I can fit under certain stickers so there's no room for misinterpretation

Lots of weight to lose / save / reposition ... fun times for a long winter.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined May 2011
584 Posts
John thanks too -

Of course you guys see my point, a standard boat can lose 1884mm2 of plastic to the "rules", and all the weight implicit, without penalty...

Hence my query.

Of course ultimate "all-up" weight has to be considered in terms of distribution - which I feel is well addressed by the 380-420gm removable keel rule...

There are always hairs to split and I'm happy to try! Until I can sail well enough that it won't make a difference I'll be looking for every fair advantage I can get.

Thanks for indulging me...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Until I can sail well enough that it won't make a difference I'll be looking for every fair advantage I can get.

Thanks for indulging me...
Mike

Always happy to help..

We all strive to find a fair advantage & then let everybody know what we have done so the advantage suddenly disappears...

The Keel is perhaps the best way to get any small advantage. Build it as close to 420g as poossible.. Not an easy task... Mk1 Keel, Mk2 Bulb & best to use a Jig.

RCYachts have this down to a science with their Champ Edition..

Look through the Build Photos & you will see where weight can be saved.. As usual the decisions need to be made during the build process & can be difficult to retro-fit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7731072...7630063895752/

Cheers

John

Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:26 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
151 Posts
Just did some measurements.
The hatch on a RMM is approx 110 x 100mm, = 11000mm2.
Weight with the rubber seal, 15.8g, minus seal and stickers, approx14g.
That means the ABS material is 785mm2/g.
6 x 20mm holes = 1884mm2, thus a weight saving of 2.4g or 0.28%.
Much easier to reduce weight by selection of servos.
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB