HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
Behind the curve in Rock Hill
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Thanks RC. I actually posted this tuning vid on another thread because I thought it gave some good, basic info relating to boom position, slot, and twist.
jzami is offline Find More Posts by jzami
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
The final scores have been tallied for what by all accounts has been a fantastic weekend of racing. Apparently after lunch today the wind dropped considerably, and as a result racing was cut just a little short. Still, 25 total heats were contested.

A HUGE thank you must go out to Fred Rocha and the San Diego Argonauts for putting on a fantastic race! Nearly a dozen major regattas in just over 2 weeks is a heck of an accomplishment.

CONGRATS TO JEFF WEISS OF COSTA MESA, CA--2012 MICRO MAGIC USA CHAMPION!

1. Jeff Weiss, Costa Mesa, CA......31 pts.
2. Larry Grant, Los Angeles, CA........53 pts.
3. Richard Frauenzimmer, Yorba Linda, CA.......56 pts.
4. Mike Eades, Wickenburg, AZ.......80 pts.
5. Graham Johnson, Chino Valley, AZ.......87 pts.
6. Dennis Desprois, Scottsdale, AZ.......137 pts.
7. Dave Nydell, Sun City, AZ.......151 pts.
8. Herb Dreher, Boston, MA.......158 pts.
9. Jim Linville, Hull, MA.......158 pts.
10. Bob Schumacher, Irvine, CA.......159 pts.
11. Steven Sherry, Sun City, AZ.......206 pts.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I believe Herb and Jim participated in 5 or 6 of the events at Race Week. Now they have a long journey back across the country to MA. Safe travels!

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Paint and Sails

I have a carbon MM that I would like to paint. Any suggestions? Anything I need to do as hull prep? Anything I should avoid? Recommendations for type(s) of paint?

Also, I'm looking for a new set of sails. I just spoke to Rod Carr (http://carrsails.com/) and he supplies A or B sails for $65. Seems reasonable. Any alternate thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:10 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzami View Post
I have a carbon MM that I would like to paint. Any suggestions? Anything I need to do as hull prep? Anything I should avoid? Recommendations for type(s) of paint?

Also, I'm looking for a new set of sails. I just spoke to Rod Carr (http://carrsails.com/) and he supplies A or B sails for $65. Seems reasonable. Any alternate thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Keeping in mind the "CF" edtion is really not a carbon fiber hull, it has a film that mimics CF bonded to the ABS hull and deck material - amazingly well at that. I have one and really like it's appearence, and unless I damaged the finish wouldn't consider painting it - To each his own as they say.

As in any paint job the preparation is half the battle. Proper sanding and priming as well as using paints and chemicals that are compatible with the hull material which I think the is a Vacuum-moulded ABS and the keel is fiberglass (fiber reinforce plastic or FRP)
Some folks make the mistake of wiping down their boats with alcohol which will leave a light oily film on what they have just spent time sanding. Not suggested.

Use a good auto quality prep/cleaner - Auto quality paints work well and if you have an auto paint store near you - you can get auto paints mixed and put into rattle spray cans.
Over the years I have moved in that direction and away from Krylon and Rustoleum - Although many have had good luck with them, I have not!
I am sure there are some of the fellows here that can provide you with step by step procedures if you need them.

Good luck!
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Thanks, Boomer.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the color, but it's all they offer. As there are no MM groups nearby, I guess it doesn't matter. I guess I'm just a tinkerer and I want a yellow boat. Is the finish a decal or what? Do I need to remove it or can I prep it and paint over it?

Also as to sails, any ideas along that line? Are the stock sails "good enough" under normal conditions with maybe a B set if it gets heavier?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:50 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzami View Post
Thanks, Boomer.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the color, but it's all they offer. As there are no MM groups nearby, I guess it doesn't matter. I guess I'm just a tinkerer and I want a yellow boat. Is the finish a decal or what? Do I need to remove it or can I prep it and paint over it?

Also as to sails, any ideas along that line? Are the stock sails "good enough" under normal conditions with maybe a B set if it gets heavier?

The CF is a more like a coating than a decal. It is bonded to the hull and won't come off so sanding it would be required to prep it for painting.

I like the factory MM sails, but once I wear them out, I'd certainly opt for custom set from one of these guys. These fellows are listed on the AMYA web site:

Dennis Desprois R/C Yachts
Walrus Sails for AMYA classes and other boats. 36/600, US1M and Footy boats
480-227-3754

DRF Sails
Specializing in Micro Magic, Soling, US12 & EC12 sails
203-631-8208
dfutter@msn.com

Ken Bauser Sails
Sails for most AMYA classes. Star 45 and Comet 36 vintage one design ready to sail. Tapered carbon masts
203-575-9882
kbsails@aol.com

Carr Sails
Sails for AMYA classes and other models
425-881-2846
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Thanks Boomer. I've spoken to Rod Carr. I'm kind of on the fence. It's either sails or a new golf driver - with which my wife will promptly beat me to death.

I have a Footy and am considering the Opus sail offered by: http://www.scalesailing.com/product.htm Kind of curious as to how it performs, but that's another topic for another thread.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,472 Posts
MMs are offered in other colors - the standard and racing models are white with some colorful decals.

I have a bunch of pictures of some very nice looking MMs - they look great with custom paint.
Boomer
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Thanks Boomer. I saw a boat on this thread (at least I think it was this thread) that has what looks like a wooden deck. Totally awesome. Having said that, I think I'd like USA 15 (above) with a white deck. If I can't refinish mine, I may have to get another boat. Oh God, I'm going straight to hell, aren't I?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
I'm with Boomer..

Unless the Carbon Look finish is badly damaged I wouldn't consider painting over it.

Rubbing into the surface & with it bonded to ABS I can only see problems if there are any complications with the paint. The Hull will only get heavier.

I say this especially when there is a Hull Kit (Hull, Deck, Canopy & Keel Box) available as a spares component from Graupner.

Pretty much everything else can be transferred between boats & all you need to do is make up some replacement Servo Mounts. Then you have 2 Boats.

There is a 1:1 drawing of the parts available on the German website.

http://www.mm-sailing.de/mm-hp/daten/rmm-holzteile.jpg

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:24 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,494 Posts
Do observe that the inside components shown here are for the racing MM. Not sure if these fit the classic MM as well.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Aug 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
SPF

Yes the RMM internals will fit the MK1 kit..

I did this mix n Match when I built the MK1 Transparent . Post #314

The MK1 Keelbox in my opinion is better setout & allows for a better & stronger fit.

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:18 AM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Do observe that the inside components shown here are for the racing MM. Not sure if these fit the classic MM as well.
Yep, I also used the Rmm internals on a Mk1 I built. In my opinion, the sheeting system on the Mk1 is way too complicated, nd the Rmm double arm setup is simpler and less prone to snags.

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
333 Posts
Micro Magic (1 min 24 sec)
arthur0903 is offline Find More Posts by arthur0903
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:19 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009