HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
There is not yet a World champion, only a European one!
My mistake--meant to say European champ.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:14 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
Being a Graupner agent in the UK I can post MicroMagics to any location
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5353billboat View Post
My mistake--meant to say European champ.
Bill

Not so far off the mark..

Soon... Very Soon

It's good to see an International Flavour at MM Events. I know an Ozzie was there a few years back as well.

We've had Skippers from Germany & Scotland drop by to our social club sail days. Looked us up from the posts on the MM Websites.

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:35 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
wondering why there is only one company making these boats

Is there any reason why another company would be prohibited from building a boat in compliance with all of the rules and specifications for this class and be allowed to race?

There a many different builders of other class boats, and many scratch built boats. I know there are other classes that are limited to one make, Seawinds and Nirvana come to mind.

Just a thought. Not looking to upset any apple carts here, just curious.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
355 Posts
First of all, thanks for starting a new thread. This boat deserves it's due on this forum. I am not making claims that it's better than any other boat, only telling you how good it is on it's own merits. It is well engineered and not difficult to build if you are careful and take your time. Perhaps a little more pricey than other small boats (Victoria comes to mind) but what you have to understand is that you don't have to throw out anything from the kit if you don't want to. The second place skipper at the NCR this year sails virtually a stock boat. THe first place skipper had some more 'modified' parts from Graphite over in the UK, but the difference in speed was virtually nil. The racing was as close as you can get. So, those who like to experiment some can, and those who are happy with the stock parts can also find a place and still be competitive.

The carbon look is a nice looking boat. I've seen 2 (at each of the Nationals regattas we've held in 09 and 2010) and they were nifty. The weight difference is noticeable. The MM is a lightweight boat where grams can make a difference. That's not to say a really good skipper couldn't whip everyone sailing a carbon look boat, but all things being equal...

I believe the carbon look boat came in at around 940g-ish in Orlando this year. To give you perspective, the minimum is 860g, and my boat--a Racing MM came in at 861. Too bad her skipper wasn't able to take advantage of the weight difference! LOL

The carbon look is great for those who don't want to paint, as they did a great job on the finish. As others have noted, there are some fit issues with the hatch, but it can be remedied with some sanding.

As for comparisons to other classes... apples and oranges. The RG65 is a great boat. It is a builder's boat--for those who like to build and design--a much more high performance boat than the MM. However, the MM is deceptively fast and handles quite well for a boat of it's size. The class is growing at a nice rate here in the USA. we've just about reached the 170 registered skipper number.

The best place in the USA to get a MM is Graupner USA (see link in the first post on this thread). They are not directly affiliated with Graupner, but are the primary USA distributor. Sandy (the owner) does a good job of stocking kits and parts, and when he sells out it usually only takes him a 2-3 weeks to re-stock (unlike Hobby-Lobby unfortunately). He told me a couple of days ago that he sold 30 MM kits in December alone, which is a great thing, and he's re-ordered 100 more kits so we should be in good shape for awhile. He supports the class (even providing some raffle items for the Nationals last year) and has been a nice shot in the arm for class growth, which had suffered a little with kits being unavailable for quite some time last year from the 'other' supplier.

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Last edited by flatlandsailor; Jan 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Is there any reason why another company would be prohibited from building a boat in compliance with all of the rules and specifications for this class and be allowed to race?

There a many different builders of other class boats, and many scratch built boats. I know there are other classes that are limited to one make, Seawinds and Nirvana come to mind.

Just a thought. Not looking to upset any apple carts here, just curious.
Boomer
If you did that, you'd not be in compliance with the rules because they require Graupner parts (part numbers listed in the rules).
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:44 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor View Post

The best place in the USA to get a MM is Graupner USA (see link in the first post on this thread). They are not directly affiliated with Graupner, but are the primary USA distributor. Sandy (the owner) does a good job of stocking kits and parts, and when he sells out it usually only takes him a 2-3 weeks to re-stock (unlike Hobby-Lobby unfortunately). He told me a couple of days ago that he sold 30 MM kits in December alone, which is a great thing, and he's re-ordered 100 more kits so we should be in good shape for awhile. He supports the class (even providing some raffle items for the Nationals last year) and has been a nice shot in the arm for class growth, which had suffered a little with kits being unavailable for quite some time last year from the 'other' supplier.

Andy
Andy, something that was discussed a while back on another forum with a view of gaining and keeping the interest of beginners was persuading distributors to add a sticky label to the box with links to relevant web sites for support. It helps the beginner, probably helps the distributor with repeat business and is a good way of promoting new class membership. Sandy might be interested.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:34 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Andy, something that was discussed a while back on another forum with a view of gaining and keeping the interest of beginners was persuading distributors to add a sticky label to the box with links to relevant web sites for support. It helps the beginner, probably helps the distributor with repeat business and is a good way of promoting new class membership. Sandy might be interested.
That is actually a pretty sound idea, it would add absolutely minimal cost and it would put potential new sailors (ie. club members) into contact with people online, who could in turn put them onto local clubs etc.

Even if it put them into contact with another local owner, you at least have someone to enjoy friendly competition with and it could be the foundation for a little club given time etc.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Micro Magic RTS Edition

Following on from the Carbon Look Edition it looks like Graupner are soon to release a RTS version.

From the photos it looks to be a Mk2 but with Radio & Factory constructed.

http://www.int.magicmicro.org/news.php?item.35.1

The more Options the better..

Cheers
Last edited by waboats; Jan 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:45 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waboats View Post
Following on from the Carbon Look Edition it looks like Graupner are soon to release a RTS version.

From the photos it looks to be a Mk2 but with Radio & Factory constructed.

http://www.int.magicmicro.org/news.php?item.35.1

The more Options the better..

Cheers
March is the supposed release date for Europe... but the Jib servo needs removing to make it Race Legal
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
March is the supposed release date for Europe... but the Jib servo needs removing to make it Race Legal
That is true.. For the MMI Rules anyway...

I can't see it being an issue so long as the Hull is the Mk2 as it looks in the pictures.

I doubt anybody could pick it from a Standard Kit Boat once the servo was removed & the sheeting adjusted accordingly. (No Harm No Foul).
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:25 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Boomer.... have you ordered one yet ?
I just did order the basic one from Graupner USA. (the other versions are out to mid March ). I wanted a smaller boat that would be easier to transport then my Seawind and China Team boat. Looking forward to the build. If anyone as comments or advise let me know. Thanks.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:59 PM
Neptune, New Jersey
Joined Nov 2010
31 Posts
If you can get the Model Yachting Magazine Issue#162, thru AMYA, it is the featured boat and it will be a excellent source for building your MM.

You'll find it is a great boat to build and even greater to sail. You will be able to transport it with the sails and you can even make different suites of sails for different wind conditions.

Good Luck with the build and I'll look forward to any pic's.
skipper67 is offline Find More Posts by skipper67
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:36 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Thanks skipper, will see if I can get it. Will post some pics when I get it.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY