SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:42 AM
memphis TN
Joined Sep 2003
68 Posts
I have two, a standard racing edition and a carbon fiber edition. They both handle pretty much the same, except in very light air. Lots of fun and very easy to sail. I can take them to the lake and pass the radio around to let folks try their hand. So far, three others have bought boats and we all get together regularly
old navy is offline Find More Posts by old navy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old navy View Post
I have two, a standard racing edition and a carbon fiber edition. They both handle pretty much the same, except in very light air. Lots of fun and very easy to sail. I can take them to the lake and pass the radio around to let folks try their hand. So far, three others have bought boats and we all get together regularly
Now that is what MM sailing is all about... Have a spare (it's lots cheaper than some classes) & pass it around. A small taste & sure enough the group starts to grow.

Not sure if you guys in US can source the Hull Only parts, but it's an easy way to reduce weight in the Carbon Edition..

Just a thought...

waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:27 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Thus far, the only place I am aware of as a source for the MM, is Graupner's web site. Before I get one, I'd like to learn as much as I can about these great little boats, and the best place to acquire one.

I have a few RC Sailboats (yachts), and was going to build a "footy" until I found out about the MMs. One draw back to a "footy" to me is that a 12" boat can be a bit of challenge to see when it is on the other side of the lake, so the MM being a bit longer is appealing. Another factor is the MM is likely to handle heavier weather better than a "footy".

I really enjoyed watching the videos that have been posted. I am trying to determine to what degree the sail servo controls the main and the jib. In one of the videos, showing the boats in accessive wind conditions, the sails appeared to be out of control and being over powered by the heavy weather conditions. It was certainly entertaining to watch, but wonder if the servo was under powered for the task. I will continue to read each post with interest to gather more information. Thanks to all who are providing the education.

I my search for information on "footys" found a fellow that builds a line of boats under the name of "BlackStar". He offers several types and sizes of sailboats, one of which is "some what" similar to the MM. I have attached some photos for comparison and interest.

If interested the web site address is:
http://blackstaryacht.com/Blackstar_23_OS0V.html

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added images
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:09 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:11 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Thus far, the only place I am aware of as a source for the MM, is Graupner's web site.
Boomer
In the USA you can try here.

http://www.v-eastonline.com/

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/rc_sailboats_228_ctg.htm
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:59 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,266 Posts
Isn't the "carbon fiber" MM just decorative? And the hull is not made out of carbon fiber?
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:53 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,266 Posts
Boomer take a drive up North of you. Orange County has a fleet of MMs.

http://www.ocmsc.com/000/7/9/1/16197...ule_Rev_NC.pdf

As well as at Hansen Dam.

http://www.lbmyc.com/
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:49 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Thank you for the information. I will look forward to a trip up there. Sounds like I could pick up some good information from these folks.
Boomer
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:47 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Those are terrific pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 18, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:37 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
MicroMike used to post here as Javelin (the class of full size boat that he sails).
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:47 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
Micro Magic

Have been reading the posts and thought I would jump in. I represented Canada at the MM Euros in Spain 2008. I race Victorias, Soling, Santa Barbaras,US1MTr,and America cup boats.I did not have a Mm so I bought one, read all the English posts and built it as best I could. Finished in Sept, one hour test time at our pond with no wind, Rod Carr made me his first set of sails for Mm and off to Spain I went. Outcome--the best experience of my life!Met fantastic people, had a ball(we all went to dinner together-all different countries and languages) and it was humbling. We sailed in the highest salt content water in the world--had to rinse the boat with fresh water between heats or it turned white, had to take rudder assy apart each night and lube it as well as the aluminum boom fitting or it would seize.The boat is fantastic. I used the racing model with the fin from the #1 kit and the lead from #2 kit as it is wider and doesn't let the boat slide sideways in heavy air. In light air I use the stock fin and rudder in the #2 kit. I also used the #1 kit rudder(wider again). We sailed in the Med. where the wind doesnt come up till 11am and then it really comes so A rig early and B when it gets heavy but you don't know when or if it will come so it is a gamble. The boat is super responsive and twitchy so you don't take your eyes off it for a second. The set up is different from other boats re mast adjustment. We had 52 boats in 3 heats and I was struggling in C fleet. The world Camp was pitted next to me and he shared an adjustment secret which I tried and got into B fleet. Then the wind came up alot and he asked what I was going to do-I said move the mast--no he said just sail it on the edge and doing that I was in A fleet. A great boat, super people sailing them and their whole focus is having fun Great concept-no yelling and if you are caught swearing--disqualified. Try it and be sure to read all the MM forums--US,Europe and International--happy sailing--Bill.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.