SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:39 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor View Post
I think Graupner USA has plenty of parts, it's just kits that are out for the moment.

Of course, anyone's well within their right to order from wherever they want, and I do not work for, nor receive commission from Graupner USA (believe it or not! LOL) but it's always a good idea when possible to support the domestic distributor and keep that relationship healthy. It's good for the class here in the USA and good for owners.

I can tell you as someone who's been leading the USA class for a couple of years now, Graupner USA has done FAR, far better than Hobby-Lobby did in making sure things are in stock. This recent kit shortage is a bit of a disappointment, but a month out is much better than 3-6 months like we were seeing from HL, only to find out they only got 10 kits and then were immediately out of stock again.

Sandy at Graupner USA is doing a good job of staying in communication with me and I believe is trying to meet the needs to the USA class. If he's lacking in some area--not stocking parts that are needed, please let him know, or let me know and I can pass it along. He seems to be willing to add things when there's a demand for it.

Andy
USA Class Secretary
Promoting the US importer of a German manufacturer in order to expand the US class is one of the most stupid message I've ever seen!!!

When I subscribed to this forum, I naively tought that it was international. As it is clearly not the case, I unsubscribe and delete all my messages from it.

Have fun between you, and take care on the US economy.
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:47 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
Promoting the US importer of a German manufacturer in order to expand the US class is one of the most stupid message I've ever seen!!!

When I subscribed to this forum, I naively tought that it was international. As it is clearly not the case, I unsubscribe and delete all my messages from it.

Have fun between you, and take care on the US economy.
I don't think a comment about USA skippers supporting the USA distributor when they can is out of line. UK skippers certainly support their distributors (as they should) and skippers from other countries support their retail outlets as well. Ultimately people buy from who they feel comfortable buying from--which is their right to do so. I'm just making the point that it makes sense for USA skippers to support Graupner USA when possible because I know he's making an effort to do what he can to keep things in stock.

Not having a source of kits here in the USA might not necessarily kill the class over here, but it would be very, very detrimental. Simple fact is, like it or not, there are many that will not buy goods from overseas. Their reasoning is not clear to me (I've bought from Australia and the UK on numerous occasions) but facts are facts. If we want to continue our success, having a reliable, supportive supplier who actually cares about doing what they can to keep things in stock and readily available is key. Over here, RC sailboats are a small part of a small part (rc boating) of the rc hobby. Many distributors simply don't see the profit in them. I know for a fact that Graupner USA doesn't have that mentality.

The post was not meant to rock the boat here. It's up to each individual to choose who they want to do business with.
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:02 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
I agree with your statement Andy and furthermore when I was in Spain I inquired about buying parts and kits from Mike in Great Brittan and he told me parts weren't bad but the postage on kits was almost more than the boat. I think the gentleman from France merely misinterpreted your post.Without a US distributor neither of our countries would be able to have this boat as a class.Your tireless efforts on behalf of the US class has made it what it is today--job well done--cheers Bill.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
Thanks Bill. I definitely wasn't trying to ruffle feathers. Another thing to consider is, probably in other countries (particularly in Europe) they have multiple distributors. Here, at this point we have ONE.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:41 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Can't we all just get along.......

Just for the record I supported Graupner USA in buying 2 Micro Magic MKI kits because that's all they had in stock (wanted the racing version). The second even got a slight price increase from the one I had ordered in the morning. But good service and I really liked the kits. I really liked the carbon version and Cornwall had a good price on it and I got it. Mike at RC Yachts had the race version and so I got it from him for a friend. Mike was great to deal with and very fast shipping. So I was happy supporting all involved. 4 kits at around 800.00......... Graupner is the real winner !

A few shots of the little New Heron Cup Racer 12. Just 19 1/2 inches long. Cute, will see how it does.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:51 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
I agree - this is a non issue

Andy,
I am sure Sandy appreciates your support. In reality, simply because a forum member is kind enough to provide us with another qualified resourse for MM items, doesn't translate into doom for Sandy's business.

Jean-Pierre has been terrific support and has been very generous in sharing his knowledge - those on the other side of the pond can teach us a lot, and may just have a better handle of some aspects of what is in fact going on in the MM world.

To be candid, I have no interest in a debate on who has more stock or a better selection of MM parts or boats. Sandy has many parts, true enough, but he does not yet have a number of items offered by the site that was listed by Stringfly.

In fairness, Graupner is not the most organized company I have ever delt with, and I understand the kind of issues Sandy is having to deal with trying to get them into the digital age.

Jean-Pierre
J'estime que ce serait une grande perte pour moi et pour le forum si vous avez quitté!

In closing, and with all due respect, I don't feel a need for anyone to suggest, remind or to tell me who, or why I should buy something. Simply stated, it is my money, thus it is my call. In line - out of line, not my concern.

Keep the peace my boating brothers!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 05, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:13 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Just for the record I supported Graupner USA in buying 2 Micro Magic MKI kits because that's all they had in stock (wanted the racing version). The second even got a slight price increase from the one I had ordered in the morning. But good service and I really liked the kits. I really liked the carbon version and Cornwall had a good price on it and I got it. Mike at RC Yachts had the race version and so I got it from him for a friend. Mike was great to deal with and very fast shipping. So I was happy supporting all involved. 4 kits at around 800.00......... Graupner is the real winner !

A few shots of the little New Heron Cup Racer 12. Just 19 1/2 inches long. Cute, will see how it does.

Stringfly <>+++++
Love the Heron Cup Racer--who makes it --how many $--thanks Bill.
5353billboat is offline Find More Posts by 5353billboat
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:05 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Little cup racer.

I got this one ebay for 32.00. It was missing mast and transmitter but replaced the mast with carbon and did new sails of ripstop. It came with three sets of mylar sails but pretty thin stuff. Made by AG industries in Japan in the 80's. Great sailing manual. I think there is one on ebay now.

Stringfly <>++++
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:23 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post

Stringfly <>+++++
I had mine built by Mike at RC Yachts...His custom made versions seem to be very competitive... It took less than the quoted month to take delivery, I'm very pleased with it
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Andy,
I am sure Sandy appreciates your support. In reality, simply because a forum member is kind enough to provide us with another qualified resourse for MM items, doesn't translate into doom for Sandy's business.

Jean-Pierre has been terrific support and has been very generous in sharing his knowledge - those on the other side of the pond can teach us a lot, and may just have a better handle of some aspects of what is in fact going on in the MM world.

To be candid, I have no interest in a debate on who has more stock or a better selection of MM parts or boats. Sandy has many parts, true enough, but he does not yet have a number of items offered by the site that was listed by Stringfly.

In fairness, Graupner is not the most organized company I have ever delt with, and I understand the kind of issues Sandy is having to deal with trying to get them into the digital age.

Jean-Pierre
J'estime que ce serait une grande perte pour moi et pour le forum si vous avez quitté!

In closing, and with all due respect, I don't feel a need for anyone to suggest, remind or to tell me who, or why I should buy something. Simply stated, it is my money, thus it is my call. In line - out of line, not my concern.

Keep the peace my boating brothers!
Boomer
Fair enough. Most importantly--have fun with these boats and sail them! That's why we're here to begin with!

Andy
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
I think Andy's ideas on supply are quite similar to mine.

You must first & foremost try to locate your supplies locally. If the price is anywhere reasonable & close to that which you can purchase overseas you should shop locally. If not then Overseas may be teh only option..

I am in OZ & this is extremely important for our economy. Ands we are booming along with our mineral wealth.

The problem you have like us is limited suppliers. A recent change of ownership of a business can see supply & support dry up quite quickly. It can be quite frustrating..

Lucky for me I have spares for 7 Boats. I planned ahead.. So the Local Buoys can ask & I can see what I have. The same to you guys if you have a problem, but start local...

Overseas is very good for Info & the parts you can't find.. So overall the MM Community is there to support each other.

We are One Big Happy Family.. We don't Look nor Sound the Same.. But Our Boats make us Equal...

One thing I can recommend is the Mk1 Keel Jig to anybody who is looking to try the Upgrade/Option. It is a fantastic Tool that is only available from Sweden... Magnus is very helpful & the quality & Price great. I know I have One...

http://www.int.magicmicro.org/e107_p...wtopic.php?594
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Mar 07, 2011 at 05:16 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Had a hard time finding some Skyshark 2P mast replacement carbon but finally found some thru my kite connections.

Stringfly <>++++
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:30 PM
Joined Feb 2008
359 Posts
Goodwinds Kites is a great source for the Skyshark 2P.

www.goodwinds.com

I've done business with them numerous times and they are never out of stock--at least in my experience.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Yep... they did have a few. Thanks.

Some shots of the little America Cup.... sailed great,,,, not a Micro Magic but small and cute.

Stringfly <>++++++
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:17 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
String
Just sent you a PM. Check it out and get back to me.
Thanks
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1