to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:45 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
...Ford ...have just advised owners of the EcoBoost engined cars to park their vehicles and get a loaner from the dealer due to the risk of fire. Doesn't sound like they're "built too well" to me.

Food fight!
This headline was just too delectable to not toss out there:
"Toyota Motor Corp. Will Pay Record $17.35 Million in Civil Penalties for Alleged Violations of Federal Law"
The U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced that Toyota Motor Corporation has agreed to pay $17.35 million, the maximum fine allowable under the law, in response to the agency's assertion that the automaker failed to report a safety defect to the federal government in a timely manner. This action represents the single highest civil penalty amount ever paid to NHTSA for violations stemming from a recall.

Note that Ford moved swiftly and voluntarily to alert customers and public about the 1.6L Ecoboost issue, and already has the fix in hand -- a simple tweak to the computer code controlling the cooling system:
Ford Produces Fix in Voluntary Safety Recall of 2013 Escapes, 2013 Fusions with 1.6-liter Engines

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,653 Posts
wrong thread.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:12 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,561 Posts
Old technique. I'm bad but you're worse so I look good in comparison. Besides I drive a Mercedes, not a Toyota.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Food fight!
This headline was just too delectable to not toss out there:
"Toyota Motor Corp. Will Pay Record $17.35 Million in Civil Penalties for Alleged Violations of Federal Law"
The U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced that Toyota Motor Corporation has agreed to pay $17.35 million, the maximum fine allowable under the law, in response to the agency's assertion that the automaker failed to report a safety defect to the federal government in a timely manner. This action represents the single highest civil penalty amount ever paid to NHTSA for violations stemming from a recall.

Note that Ford moved swiftly and voluntarily to alert customers and public about the 1.6L Ecoboost issue, and already has the fix in hand -- a simple tweak to the computer code controlling the cooling system:
Ford Produces Fix in Voluntary Safety Recall of 2013 Escapes, 2013 Fusions with 1.6-liter Engines

Ya It's amazing how "swiftly" an auto make can move with a 17 million dollar fine hanging over it's head.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,394 Posts
Hello

I pulled the intake off my 2001 gmc 2500hd. ( it was leaking) The gasket set came with a new vally cover gasket, New valve cover gaskets and the intake gaskets. I have torque values for everything except the egr to exhaust manifold (that has to be removed) and the throttle body to the plenum ( I removed to get to the coolant hose clamps) and the valley cover bolts. Note the FULL gasket set didn't come with the Knock sensor seals either. I was looking on google for the torque spects for the valley cover and this is what I found from an asc certified mechanic.
"I assume since it is only a shield and they dont list a torque value in either chilton or that manual I was looking at then it isnt that important."

Read more: what is the torque spec on a valley assembly for a 5.3l chevy - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/2qb4...#ixzz2FSA36gVA
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
I went to the dealer today and after about 25 minutes we discovered that the bolts for the valley cover needed to be torqued at 44 ft lbs.
Not important though LOL WooHoo truck starts and runs without chugging. Sometimes I amaze even myself!!!
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Dec 19, 2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: addition
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:26 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,298 Posts
Getting old and forgetting stuff.

A few days ago I realized I need props for my Grand Banks... did some research, decided 4-bladed 30mm x M4 props from Rivabo would be good... ordered a pair from Cornwall.

Today, rummaged around in a box of loose parts inside the Grand Banks crate... found a pair of Rivabo 30mm 4-bladed M4 props, which I must have ordered a year ago.

Harumph.
(at least I'm consistent...)
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:32 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,731 Posts
Quote:
Getting old and forgetting stuff.
Harumph. (at least I'm consistent...)
Next thing will be peeing your pants---.
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,347 Posts
Is that ex-pee-rience talking?!?!?!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,706 Posts
NAW! Just forgot to unzip.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:52 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,298 Posts
Laser cutter slime, yuk!

Cleaning a bunch of laser cut parts... black soot everywhere, my hands are black, and the place smells like an old campfire.

Yuk.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Laser cutter slime, yuk!

Cleaning a bunch of laser cut parts... black soot everywhere, my hands are black, and the place smells like an old campfire.

Yuk.
That's why I love Xacto and balsa . The blood soaks in,dries and adds character.

oldbilgewater is online now Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:23 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,298 Posts
I just combined the best of both then... gluing laser cut planks onto a hull with CA... just had to slice my left thumb off a plank, yikes. At least I was able to seal up the damage with more CA!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:59 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,526 Posts
Quote:
I just combined the best of both then... gluing laser cut planks onto a hull with CA... just had to slice my left thumb off a plank, yikes. At least I was able to seal up the damage with more CA!

And that's why I use AMBROID
oldbilgewater is online now Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:22 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
And that's why I use AMBROID
Oh, I thought you used it for the buzz!

Pete