HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:06 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
Major causes of accidents around here are weather, driver error, intoxication and falling asleep. I noticed that when its two cars striking each other, the larger vehicle usually fares better, but when it's a single-vehicle accident all bets are off. Things like rock walls and bridges don't have crumple zones. Roads are only really busy a couple times a year up here so you get just as many single-vehicle accidents (probably more) as you do multi-vehicles.

The biggest problem with the Smart, IMO, is that you basically get half a car for a whole car's price. Compacts like the Focus, Golf, Civic and Echo offer a similar mileage for less, with a lot more internal room. The Smart is more New Beetle than old Beetle.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:57 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56 View Post
The biggest problem with the Smart, IMO, is that you basically get half a car for a whole car's price. Compacts like the Focus, Golf, Civic and Echo offer a similar mileage for less, with a lot more internal room.
For that and other reasons, I'll stay with my compact. Plus, I don't feel like I'm driving around in a juice can---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
To further add to the Smart car outrage :P

well, not against the car itself, Like I said, I really don't have a problem with them over all. A can of spam is not that offensive, but the contents can be considered by many as such. after all.

I would dare say.. that If I was out and about in the 1992 ALL METAL Dodge Ram 150, and found my self blocked into my parking space like that... The ladies car would not win the argument whilst I extracted myself from my parallel parked prison.

well.. there is some plastic on the Dodge... the dashboard and the cheap bench seats...
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
605 Posts
One of my cars is a Smart car...don't knock it till you try it.
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:47 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
is it safety orange with General Lee stickers!?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Not to change the subject from smart cars, but soggy bone in yard bird wings, that’s my gripe. Can’t you just fry them really crispy and have them stay like that until they are cool enough to eat. There must be a process or coating or something I mean it is the teens in the twenty first century.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:06 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I Usually bake the wings first with a dry rub that has sugar, black pepper and grandulated garlic and ground chipotle pepper..

then, after that.. they are usually good to go.. or toss in flour, deep fry in 350 oil. then toss with a sauce that is one cup of texas pete and two cups butter....
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
Not Really...
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Thanks BG its midnight and now I have a hankering for wings, I appreciate you looking out.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:08 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
Would you have any pictures of one that is? Please post if you do...
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Just feeling retro tonight and experiencing a blast of the past posting flashback....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Gripe #1: <clip>....sticky labels that [will not] come off in one piece!!!???#@&% <clip>
And that dd smeary glue they use!!!

I spent a good deal of last night removing lots of sku/bar code stickers from pvc pipe used to make buoys for The Lake with lacquer thinner.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,442 Posts
old trick I learned from being a Navy brat (and working for movers later) use a soft pencil eraser for gummy residue from labels like that.

Another old trick (learned from father who likes to make PVC garden furniture) is to use some OO steel wool with the lacquer thinner, works good and cuts down on the time it takes. You can also buy goo (the brand name) for removing the residue like that and it work (with the steel wool) on PVC also.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:13 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Ask and you shall receive.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:47 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Just feeling retro tonight and experiencing a blast of the past posting flashback....

And that dd smeary glue they use!!!

I spent a good deal of last night removing lots of sku/bar code stickers from pvc pipe used to make buoys for The Lake with lacquer thinner.
Depending on the adhesive used, I have found lighter fluid to be effective.Other solvents ..........Acetone,laquer thinner,WD 40,and mineral spirits are all handy to have around. But I usually start w/lighter fluid. Note;the fluid should be applied directly at the bonding point (under the label) as you slowly lift from a corner.Continue to apply as you lift.
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
And worst case scenario if the bar code just won’t come off for anything, light it up!